cyberer

Franchy Cordero 2018 Outlook

Couple of tough nights in a row against LHP starters, but somehow managed to be productive late in the game with an RBI last night and a BB SB R tonight. With the diversity of this guy's skills, the box score will be filled most nights! 

Very little if he ever did.  I watched parts of a couple of his at bats and it almost didn't matter where the ball was being thrown.

1 for his last 12 with 8 K's.  This would be a horrible time to go into a slump with Margot about to return...

Yeah his flaws are getting exposed right now. Very athletic guy, hits the ball hard, runs really fast but not a good approach. Swings at everything. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Very little if he ever did.  I watched parts of a couple of his at bats and it almost didn't matter where the ball was being thrown.

1 for his last 12 with 8 K's.  This would be a horrible time to go into a slump with Margot about to return...

This dude might be Melvin Upton Jr Jr 

2 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Yeah his flaws are getting exposed right now. Very athletic guy, hits the ball hard, runs really fast but not a good approach. Swings at everything. 

Seems like it.  Not sure if I'm jumping ship yet or not.  Might seem a little premature, but I'll sleep on it.  He looks to be regressing back down to his small sample size from last season.

2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Seems like it.  Not sure if I'm jumping ship yet or not.  Might seem a little premature, but I'll sleep on it.  He looks to be regressing back down to his small sample size from last season.

I'd have more of a leash on him if his playing time wasn't a real concern 

7 hours ago, beauso79 said:

This dude might be Melvin Upton Jr Jr 

BJ Upton? 

9 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Yep, same guy

I miss the days of BJ Upton when he was on the 07 Devil Rays. Name changes are stupid. 

3 hours ago, klove42 said:

I miss the days of BJ Upton when he was on the 07 Devil Rays. Name changes are stupid. 

What even happened to BJ (Melvin)? Sorry I know this is the wrong thread but seriously he was still a 20-20 guy 2 years ago.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:58 PM, Mexi1024 said:

Stay alarmed here fellas. The K/BB ratio in the minors is crap. It was even worse at the MLB level last year. Already starts off with 2 K's here today despite the Coors HR. And look at the upcoming schedule: Stratton, Blach, Holland, Beede, Ryu, Wood, Hill, Walker, Godley, Corbin, Bettis, Freeland, Gray. 7 of 13 games are all vs LHP starters. What did he do vs LHP's last year? .188 avg, .610 OPS, 1 HR. Small sample size 16 AB's but still. I wouldn't be all over this guy like he's going to be some super star. Temper the expectations. 

I'll just leave this here. You were warned. ;-) But he has shown good speed. 

8 minutes ago, Samblacksmith said:

What even happened to BJ (Melvin)? Sorry I know this is the wrong thread but seriously he was still a 20-20 guy 2 years ago.

OT because who wants to start a Melvin Upton Thread and drive the mods crazy just to answer this:  Baseball Reference shows he last played in 2016.  A lot of these guys fade away hoping for a phone call and never announce official retirement.  Maybe he is in that area of his life right now?   He is listed as being only 33 but a speedster tends to run out of gas at their specialty quicker than a flat-footed power hitter often.

On topic.  Learned a lot in this thread today since I never even heard of Franchy before he was called up.  Thanks all.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

I'll just leave this here. You were warned. ;-) But he has shown good speed. 

He has more than good speed. He was clocked at #7 overall sprint speed in all of baseball and finished top 35 in exit velocity. You simply can't teach that kind of talent. Even with his crap approach, he was still pretty productive and there's still hope for him because approaches can always be adjusted. He's def a guy to keep an eye on even if he's sent back down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

He has more than good speed. He was clocked at #7 overall sprint speed in all of baseball and finished top 35 in exit velocity. You simply can't teach that kind of talent. Even with his crap approach, he was still pretty productive and there's still hope for him because approaches can always be adjusted. He's def a guy to keep an eye on even if he's sent back down. 

The point I made before was to "temper expectations" out the gates. He's got lessons to learn on his approach and ability to read pitches out of the pitchers hand. That's all I was saying. Never doubted anything about his speed / power abilities. 

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

OT because who wants to start a Melvin Upton Thread and drive the mods crazy just to answer this:  Baseball Reference shows he last played in 2016.  A lot of these guys fade away hoping for a phone call and never announce official retirement.  Maybe he is in that area of his life right now?   He is listed as being only 33 but a speedster tends to run out of gas at their specialty quicker than a flat-footed power hitter often.

On topic.  Learned a lot in this thread today since I never even heard of Franchy before he was called up.  Thanks all.

BJ was in spring training with Cleveland this year as well. 

• Like 1

Myers was activate tonight, and Margot is eligible to return tomorrow. with Pirela also in the OF I imagine this would be the end of regular playing time for Cordero.

16 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Myers was activate tonight, and Margot is eligible to return tomorrow. with Pirela also in the OF I imagine this would be the end of regular playing time for Cordero.

Is it a lock Pirela maintains starting role over him?

3 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

Pirela could move to 2B.

59 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

Pirela is producing and Cordero is giving every stadium free air conditioning whether they need it or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Pirela is producing and Cordero is giving every stadium free air conditioning whether they need it or not.

Starting Cordero over Pirela today. Last shot Frenchy. Chowduh, say it Frenchy.

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

Good call.  Third longest HR ever at Chase Field...489 ft. moonshot off a speaker.

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

You're welcome.  I tolerated all of the K's in the three games prior, including the debacle in the last game, and now he goes out and actually does something again.  Oh well.  Sometimes doing a smart thing doesn't pay off (not knocking your decision to play him).

16 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

You're welcome.  I tolerated all of the K's in the three games prior, including the debacle in the last game, and now he goes out and actually does something again.  Oh well.  Sometimes doing a smart thing doesn't pay off (not knocking your decision to play him).

Sometimes I start stats over players. Need HRs and Frenchy has better shot than Pirela.