cyberer

Franchy Cordero 2018 Outlook

10 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

low and behold, now leading the Padres in BA too .281 after today

Though I fully expect Hosmer to eventually snap out of it and overtake him in the BA category, I'm still pleased with the results. 

I made the move to drop Margot for Cordero about a week ago or so (though it was hard for me at the time, as I expected big things from Margot before the reality of this season finally sank in) and hope he can continue to produce and grow. But, now that I'm more actively watching him, I have to admit I really don't know what to make of Cordero. Obviously it can't be all "luck", but it seems like he doesn't really have any sort of specific approach at the plate. A lot of times it strikes me as though he is just the beneficiary of running into a pitch, swinging at more often than not...everything. 

As I stated, I haven't been able to make up my mind on him yet, so I will ride while he's hot. But does anyone see something that gives them cause to believe he could be something more than an average OF in the near/long term? Any player comps now that he has a bit more AB's under his belt?

4 hours ago, bank said:

Though I fully expect Hosmer to eventually snap out of it and overtake him in the BA category, I'm still pleased with the results. 

I made the move to drop Margot for Cordero about a week ago or so (though it was hard for me at the time, as I expected big things from Margot before the reality of this season finally sank in) and hope he can continue to produce and grow. But, now that I'm more actively watching him, I have to admit I really don't know what to make of Cordero. Obviously it can't be all "luck", but it seems like he doesn't really have any sort of specific approach at the plate. A lot of times it strikes me as though he is just the beneficiary of running into a pitch, swinging at more often than not...everything. 

As I stated, I haven't been able to make up my mind on him yet, so I will ride while he's hot. But does anyone see something that gives them cause to believe he could be something more than an average OF in the near/long term? Any player comps now that he has a bit more AB's under his belt?

I have always seen him as a Curtis Granderson type

kid could put it together and have a 40 hr season here or there, but more than likely a 20/20 guy with a .260/.330/.490 type line

38 minutes ago, LeftyNYC said:

Sell high in the Hype eh? 

In a keeper, no. 

More than anything I'm shocked by how bad his defense is. He is so athletic and talented that he shouldn't be taking bad reads and jumps. I was offered Nimmo for him in an OBP league keeper and considered it because he seems like a guy that just flashes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kgizzle said:

More than anything I'm shocked by how bad his defense is. He is so athletic and talented that he shouldn't be taking bad reads and jumps. I was offered Nimmo for him in an OBP league keeper and considered it because he seems like a guy that just flashes.

But athletic ability doesn't mean he has good recognition or a strong grasp on the mental side of the game. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

But athletic ability doesn't mean he has good recognition or a strong grasp on the mental side of the game. 

Yeh, that just means he can make up for his bad reads with his athletic ability.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kgizzle said:

He's inexperienced in the of.  It'll take time. 

10 hours ago, kgizzle said:

I would just consider it because Nimmo has a fair amount of long term upside in an OBP keeper... 

11 hours ago, kgizzle said:

His defense might be poor, but they can work on positioning and reads with him throughout the year, and at least he has the natural speed already.

Grabbed him a few weeks ago, nothing, I just cannot wait on another hot streak when he is pedestrian most of the time

34% strikeout rate. That's a killer in points leagues. There are some positives, though.

wRC+ - 115

Soft% - 16.3%

Hard% - 50%

He's hitting the ball extremely hard, but he's also hitting it on the ground a lot. His HR/FB% is sitting at 26.1%, which is crazy. If he can get the ball in the air more often, he should hit even more taters.

• Like 2

The read from page 8 to page 9 in this thread is quite the sine wave

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The read from page 8 to page 9 in this thread is quite the sine wave

giphy.webp

Haven't laughed this hard at a post in a while. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

giphy.webp

Mmmmmmm..... That was some tasty 449-ft Franch Toast! 

I like that that gif exists

• Haha 2