smeeze

Zack Wheeler 2018 Outlook

Looks fantastic today, hoping this is an upward trend. Definitely see him providing lots of value for the second half. 

• Like 1

Final line vs BAL: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

11 swinging strikes in 93 pitches

1 minute ago, rdf8585 said:

Final line vs BAL: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

11 swinging strikes in 93 pitches

Wheelering and dealering

Wheeler is very consistent for the most part. One week he's lights out, the next week he bombs. Good for a streamer. Although he has now had back to back positive starts. Tough getting a win with that pen and that lineup. Good ERA/WHIP and a K per inning. QS leagues might pounce.

Edited by Chickie

On 6/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, tywalson said:

De7otMBU8AI0ZF7.jpg

Wheeler’s velocity continues to climb, hitting 100mph his last start. I think he’s worth an add if he’s available in your league as he gets the Orioles tomorrow and has been looking decent. He’s throwing about as hard as he ever has and sometimes guys take longer to return back from TJ than others.

If he’s getting his 2014 stuff back, you don’t want to miss this train. 

Where did you get this screenshot ? Brooks is showing something entirely different.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=554430&b_hand=-1&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&time=game&minmax=ci&var=mph&s_type=2&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=06/12/2018

Edit: Nvm, I see. Your screenshot is the max velo. My link is the average velo.

Edited by fletch44

His velo did dip back to early season levels against the O's, but maybe he figured he didn't need to stress too hard against them :lol:. Definitely curious how today's start goes

He's throwing very hard tonight. Struck out Freddie Freeman on a 99 mph fastball in the 1st inning...

Annnnnnd he still sucks.  Will flash 99 I’m blowing away Freeman and then walk Preston Tucker.  He doesn’t have a clue how to pitch.

I watched bits and pieces of his start, but I saw a lot of weak contact, when he was hit. Tack on the RP allowing his runners on a HR and it wasn’t as horrible as the line looks. Atlanta is proving to be a tough lineup, so I’m scratching this one from my memory. 

Looked great tonight.  Good placement/movement on his fastball and had the curveball working, with very little hard contact.  If you need pitching help you could do worse

7 IP,  5 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, 7 K

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HesSoTaguchi said:

Looked great tonight.  Good placement/movement on his fastball and had the curveball working, with very little hard contact.  If you need pitching help you could do worse

7 IP,  5 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, 7 K

He’s one of my hidden gems to stream. I’m hoping he can keep things going from start to start. I can see him being great if he can control it a bit more. 

what do we think he's capable of ROS? is he finally after many years for real?

9 hours ago, CuredMeats said:

If he stays healthy and "for real" = a solid SP 4 or so, then yeah I'd say so. 

Seems reasonable (and good at probably deciphering that post before you).  Would obviously help if he got traded so he could have a real team behind him with (hopefully) a real bullpen, and hopefully that team behind him can actually hit.

I'd still be careful with him at this point. He's looked like a legitimate ace for most of his last few starts, except he's been prone to the 'one bad inning'. In those 'one bad inning' he's looked like the worst pitcher in MLB. Until he can figure it out and do what he did a few days ago consistently then I still won't start him. The risk is not worth the reward yet because with that team behind him, it's just not worth risking my ratios. But he is getting closer and closer and he is getting nastier each time out as well. Could be a great add down the stretch. We'll see. 

And btw, he's not going anywhere unless they get blown away by an offer. They have a GM by committee at the moment. Yes you read that right, a professional(debatable) baseball team has a GM by committee. I just don't see how they can move anyone that's not in their final year of the contract, the committee probably won't all agree would be my guess. 

cbs has him starting two games this week, but i think they only play 5 (unless they have a double header?).  anyone know if he will be a 2 starter this week?

29 minutes ago, herschel said:

cbs has him starting two games this week, but i think they only play 5 (unless they have a double header?).  anyone know if he will be a 2 starter this week?

As of now they're not going to use Vargas until they need to(Next Monday). So with the off days Wheeler will be used on regular rest. Yes, he should start twice this week. 

Edited by Fantasy Baseball Geek

On 7/2/2018 at 1:41 PM, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

As of now they're not going to use Vargas until they need to(Next Monday). So with the off days Wheeler will be used on regular rest. Yes, he should start twice this week. 

Another good outing by Wheeler today.  As a Met fan do you think Wheeler is getting to the point where he might live up to the promise that made him such a highly touted prospect years ago?  Would love if Wheeler could turn into a reliable every week option, rather than a streamer.

Damn....now starting against the Pirates instead of the Padres due to the push back.

There goes that stream.

1 hour ago, DemOrioles said:

Damn....now starting against the Pirates instead of the Padres due to the push back.

There goes that stream.

Yahoo is saying he's starting against SD tomorrow again.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Yahoo is saying he's starting against SD tomorrow again.

Nice!  Just saw Fantrax does too.

2 hours ago, Koufax Machine said:

CBS as well. 2 start week vs SD tomorrow and Pittsburgh on Sunday,

Which is a very nice two start week. Hopefully he continues his streak of impressive starts. 

We still lose out with the push back.  Sunday road starts are not good bets.  Lots of regulars sitting.