ToO_BaD

4/12 - GAME DAY THREAD

What are the thoughts on Fulmer today?  @ Cleveland has me a little nervous.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Cle has been pretty bad offensively so far. They are due for a correction soon, but the way Fulmer has pitched I think he is a start. 

4 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Cleveland isn't hitting that well right now.  Encarnacion is always a notorious slow starter and hasn't changed his spots for this season.  And the rest of the team is following his example so far.  Some current batting averages of Cleveland hitters:

• Yonder Alonso - .184
  • Jose Ramirez - .146
  • Edwin Encarnacion - .146
  • Francisco Lindor - .184
  • Yan Gomes - .179
  • Bradley Zimmer - .188
  • Rajai Davis - .200
  • Michael Brantley - .235 (only 17 ABs though)
  • Lonnie Chisenhall - .235 also (on the DL)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, klove42 said:

Cle has been pretty bad offensively so far. They are due for a correction soon, but the way Fulmer has pitched I think he is a start. 

Yeah his efficiency was not great last start, but I will take it if he continues keeping runs off the board.  Stuck in between a rock and a hard place balancing my ratios with the need for a QS >< lol.  Well go Fulmer!  

Anyone know if Hicks will be starting today?

23 hours ago, taobball said:

Keeping an eye on:

Pre-Season fave Marco Estrada and him continuing his hot start potentially Got banged around a bit in the fifth and sixth

Gausman's Slider Actually had a pretty good performance and matched it with a pretty good game, admittedly with a bare-minimum 6 IP / 3 ER QS. Slider consistency to me is what differentiates him between a 3.50-3.70 type and a 4.10-4.30 type or worse. 

Not really keeping an eye on, but like Brandon McCarthy as a streamer this year. Tough match-up so not one of those streamers, but we'll see how he does. RIP 

((((But check this savage tweet from the Mrs.))))

If Junior Guerra can look worth a flier again. Decent first start. Didn;t quite get the whiffs I was expecting, but throws a solid FA+SL+Splitter combo that was intriguing me quite a bit this time last year. If he can be consistently healthy I think there's some sneaky K upside here. 

Kyle Gibson's Freakish Start To be honest, kinda glad he got shelled. Kyle Gibson is a player I don't really wanna be fooled by (5.07 ERA in 2016 and 2017) but going sub-1.00 in his first two games and having a no-hitter (thru 6 when pulled) in his first outing I believe was starting to be unavoidable. 

Yonny Chirinos, how deep he pitches, how effectively he gets through batters, and what he throws. Excellent game! And more than 5 innings! Only threw 75 pitches and I do think at least at first this is a guy who will be used much closer to 4 innings at a time, but the fastball's decent, the Splitter is really good, and if he can continue to throw his consistent (albeit a bit more show-me) Slider, he should be able to put up really solid ratios and near a K per inning. Wins may be impossible though. And I mean literally impossible-- this "starting the bullpen game" role is the first role in baseball history that REALLY takes away your shot of earning a win, as you need to be pitching through the fifth obviously to qualify. So Chirinos is getting a big knock for his lack of W/QS/SV/HD until we see him with a higher, more consistent pitch count. But Ratios and K / PT is going to be great it seems. 

If Luis Castillo can finally limit the damage with his amazing Swing-and-miss stuff. Limited the damage. Not great but moving in the right direction. Still has fairly elite whiff%'s. 

Zach Wheeler? Easy speculative add for me. Great first start. Great whiffs. Prospect pedigree. Seemingly healthy. Easy easy add here. 

Keeping an eye on: 

The Matt Davidson v. Jose Berrios match-up for reasons stated in the Davidson thread. 

Trevor Williams is off to a hot start at least in terms of ERA. Gets the Cubs on the Road. 

Nick Tropeano is a guy I've liked in the past but like everyone on the Angels (seriously, Heaney, Skaggs, Richards, Shoemaker, JC) he's been injured. Coming back today to play the Royals. Also Ian Kennedy is not completely uninteresting to me as a streamer in general, so I'll be watching to see if the horrific 5+ ERA or whatever monster that Ian Kennedy was last year is surfacing again to start the season, as it hasn't so far. 

Love to see Michael Wacha or Sal Romano rebound a bit. 

How many Curveballs and how many Fastballs does Sonny Gray throw tonight? 

How many bats can Lucas Giolito miss.  

Edited by taobball
  • Like 2

I already made this thread.  But I guess it doesn't count until Fuzzy puts it up ;)

4 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

I already made this thread.  But I guess it doesn't count until Fuzzy puts it up ;)

Lol didn't see yours as this one was on top for me. Mods will probably merge I'd assume. 

• Like 1

How are we feeling about Sonny Gray at Red Sox? Sox have been putting up a scary amount of runs lately... this screams "if there's a week to sit 'em, you should." 

Boston Bats vs S. Gray:

Avg: .250

OPS: .780

Pedroia and Hanley are the standouts with .333 and .345

4 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Only eight games today.  ...

I like Mondays and Thursdays because, like the teams traveling, I kind of have a break.  In my case just shovel all the hitters playing today into the active line-up slots, see if any of my pitchers will be held out like Sonny Gray tonight, then sit back and relax.

I think I mistakenly started Sonny Gray (lineups set at the beginning of the week).  This was supposed to be CC's start so they just moved everyone up.  Gray was supposed to go against Detroit tomorrow.

Oh well, hoping for the best.  I wouldn't have started him at Fenway.

55 minutes ago, Zeezee said:

How are we feeling about Sonny Gray at Red Sox? Sox have been putting up a scary amount of runs lately... this screams "if there's a week to sit 'em, you should." 

Boston Bats vs S. Gray:

Avg: .250

OPS: .780

Pedroia and Hanley are the standouts with .333 and .345

To date this season Sonny Gray has been an entirely different pitcher in terms of approach and pitch mix. I wouldn't put *too* much stock in career numbers. I would, however, bench Gray depending on league context just like I'd bench probably any non-elite starters depending on league context against a near-elite offense. 

4 hours ago, taobball said:

Keeping an eye on: 

The Matt Davidson v. Jose Berrios match-up for reasons stated in the Davidson thread. 

Trevor Williams is off to a hot start at least in terms of ERA. Gets the Cubs on the Road. 

Nick Tropeano is a guy I've liked in the past but like everyone on the Angels (seriously, Heaney, Skaggs, Richards, Shoemaker, JC) he's been injured. Coming back today to play the Royals. Also Ian Kennedy is not completely uninteresting to me as a streamer in general, so I'll be watching to see if the horrific 5+ ERA or whatever monster that Ian Kennedy was last year is surfacing again to start the season, as it hasn't so far. 

Love to see Michael Wacha or Sal Romano rebound a bit. 

How many Curveballs and how many Fastballs does Sonny Gray throw tonight? 

How many bats can Lucas Giolito miss.  

@taobball Have you posted feedback or thoughts on rankings for the fringe guys right now? i.e.: Pivetta, Newcomb, Lucchesi, Flaherty... etc.? Maybe I've missed it

side note, I want to see the Giolito curve today

Just now, evillaw4eva said:

@taobball Have you posted feedback or thoughts on rankings for the fringe guys right now? i.e.: Pivetta, Newcomb, Lucchesi, Flaherty... etc.? Maybe I've missed it

side note, I want to see the Giolito curve today

I haven't specifically writtten in a general pitching context. I mean I guess I am on these Game Day threads but that's mostly just me opening the thread in the AM and just jotting down a couple things to myself while I look over the slate.  

Pivetta I've covered in his thread. I like Caleb Smith too to an extent that is obvious in his thread. I haven't specifically talked about the other three on this board I don't believe, though even in the minors Flaherty is probably my favorite, though it is close. Newcomb is my least favorite because I don't trust and ultimately wouldn't want to deal with the BB/9 on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

Glad Marte couldn't get in on this offense <_<

Glad to see Turner back in the leadoff spot.  Need a stolen base or two today - please!!

1 hour ago, taobball said:

To date this season Sonny Gray has been an entirely different pitcher in terms of approach and pitch mix. I wouldn't put *too* much stock in career numbers. I would, however, bench Gray depending on league context just like I'd bench probably any non-elite starters depending on league context against a near-elite offense. 

I'm assuming you'd sit Porcello than?

Brantley and Alonso = driving in runs on my bench.  0fers when I play them.