ToO_BaD

4/12 - GAME DAY THREAD

Scoring change in Rckies game huh?

I saw Desmond had a hit and an RBI a few mins ago, and now it's no ribby.

3 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Scoring change in Rckies game huh?

I saw Desmond had a hit and an RBI a few mins ago, and now it's no ribby.

Kendrick muffed a pop-up. Probably E4. Could've been a single but I think Kendrick touched it with his glove and those are usually never singles. 

Giolito's command looks terrible through the first two hitters. He's not missing the glove he's missing the glove by a lot. 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

Giolito's command looks terrible through the first two hitters. He's not missing the glove he's missing the glove by a lot. 

I watched his first start...

And thought he was complete garbage.  No life on the FB, no command.

• Like 1

Giolito just got out of the first with no damage after an immaculate double play, but even on that pitch the catcher set clearly high and Giolito threw it at the knees.

It's just really concerning to me that Giolito can only throw 92 now but his command is no better than when he threw 95. 

Just now, 96mnc said:

I watched his first start...

And thought he was complete garbage.  No life on the FB, no command.

In the Giolito thread I've been vocal against which is why I'm following this start in particular. That and wanting to see some more Matt Davidson PAs because of my take there as well. 

• Like 1

Via Davidson thread: 

9 hours ago, taobball said:

Jose Berrios throws 67% 4-Seam + Curve so far this year. Davidson is a hard sit for anyone to me in a Daily or DFS format.

And to be clear, I checked because if he were up against a Sinker+Slider guy like Junis I would've said that it was a good game for him to have a chance at competing. We'll see how he does v. Berrios. 

First PA: 

Fastball Looking 0-1

Swing and Miss Fastball Mid-High 0-2

Doesn't Chase Curve just off plate 1-2

Check Swing-K on Curve just off plate 1-3

... better luck next time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

dejong just hit one out of cincinnati

After his fast start he was in a mini slump of sorts, hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Giolito is missing every spot his catcher sets up for him. by a huge margin. not even in the same area. zero command.

• Like 1

To be fair to Davidson he shouldn't have been rung up on that check. But that probably just delayed the K by one pitch. 

Giolito is an enigma, man. I don't know. He was throwing 94-96 and commanding four pitches this spring, including that huge curve of his. We're talking literally 3 weeks ago. Now he's at 90-92 and is getting nothing over. I'll give him one more start after tonight, but then it might be time to move on. 

image.png.ef450de90dfb69c32f77c3463df1b536.png'

Lucas Giolito.

Batter is left handed, so pitches 2, 3, and 5 are outside, and well outside. Pitches 2, 3, and 5 were all set-up inside and were supposed to be inside pitches. I didn't see pitch 6 because I was grabbing the graph, so I don't know where it was set up. 

(This AB just happened in this inning, I had to get an image). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, taobball said:

Lucas Giolito.

Batter is left handed, so pitches 2, 3, and 5 are outside, and well outside. Pitches 2, 3, and 5 were all set-up inside and were supposed to be inside pitches. I didn't see pitch 6 because I was grabbing the graph, so I don't know where it was set up. 

yeah i was watching this at bat too. Was wild seeing how bad he was missing.

1 minute ago, sleepysock said:

To be fair to Davidson he shouldn't have been rung up on that check. But that probably just delayed the K by one pitch. 

Giolito is an enigma, man. I don't know. He was throwing 94-96 and commanding four pitches this spring, including that huge curve of his. We're talking literally 3 weeks ago. Now he's at 90-92 and is getting nothing over. I'll give him one more start after tonight, but then it might be time to move on. 

To be fair to Davidson, he got dominated on 4 pitches. Like I said, we'll see how the next 1-2 go. Maybe he shouldn't have gotten rung up on the Curve, but he didn't look like he had any prayer of hitting anything Berrios had to offer him. 

And Giolito's just not good. There's nothing that enigmatic about it. We've seen him in the big leagues enough that I don't know what we're expecting to happen unless he makes a major change. 

Just now, High&Inside said:

yeah i was watching this at bat too. Was wild seeing how bad he was missing.

Well because pitch 1 is fine. That's the thing about Command. Catcher sets up-and-in and you go too-high-and-in... you still pretty much did your job. Maybe there's more ideal outcomes, but you wanted to back him off the plate and you backed him off the plate. 4 isn't well spotted but that's where the mit was, just wanted it a bit more inside or up in particular. But most of the pitches he's thrown have the catcher going from Right - to -left or left to - right or up and down. It's bad. 

4 minutes ago, taobball said:

Lucas Giolito.

Idk how much longer people can keep saying the cold is whats throwing him off. Maybe bench and hold but he hasn't shown anything that gives me hope. And by that I mean if you allow him to be bad but look for some positives that he might utilize, I haven't seen any of those. I did miss the first inning this game and the first last game. He has just looked extremely hittable with terrible command. 

Someone else said it, but he hasn't even had a pulse

Edited by loro1991