ToO_BaD

4/12 - GAME DAY THREAD

What I love about Berrios is how well he's pitching ahead most of this year. This game has been spectacular. Not even to compare it directly to the above, but so many batters starting 0-2. Even Avisail who had a tremendous AB and was hard to put away on about 10 pitches started 0-2. 

He looks so sharp and throws so many strikes and is so hard to hit in the zone. Love this guy. Anyone worried that he's going to be a roller coaster I think is worrying over nothing. 

1 minute ago, taobball said:

To be fair to Davidson, he got dominated on 4 pitches. Like I said, we'll see how the next 1-2 go. Maybe he shouldn't have gotten rung up on the Curve, but he didn't look like he had any prayer of hitting anything Berrios had to offer him. 

And Giolito's just not good. There's nothing that enigmatic about it. We've seen him in the big leagues enough that I don't know what we're expecting to happen unless he makes a major change. 

I agree with you on MD, which is why I said it just delayed the K by a pitch. But he does deserve a little love for not offering at those nasty curves out of the zone the way he did last season. That's still a measurable positive you can't deny the guy thus far.

The enigma with Giolito is that his in-game performance does not square with the stuff he has shown at times. For whatever reason, he can't duplicate how he pitched in AAA his last 10 starts or so last year, or how he pitched in spring training this year. Yeah, they're called prospects for a reason, but the chasm between good Giolito and bad Giolito is larger than any pitching prospect I can recall in recent years. He looks like a high-A pitcher right now. Just a mess. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

I agree with you on MD, which is why I said it just delayed the K by a pitch. But he does deserve a little love for not offering at those nasty curves out of the zone the way he did last season. That's still a measurable positive you can't deny the guy thus far.

The enigma with Giolito is that his in-game performance does not square with the stuff he has shown at times. For whatever reason, he can't duplicate how he pitched in AAA his last 10 starts or so last year, or how he pitched in spring training this year. Yeah, they're called prospects for a reason, but the chasm between good Giolito and bad Giolito is larger than any pitching prospect I can recall in recent years. He looks like a high-A pitcher right now. Just a mess. 

Thank you. There is NOTHING there. Not even a for a moment. He has looked that bad. I don't understand. What happened to the pedigree? The velocity or improvements from the spring all gone

Edited by loro1991

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

What I love about Berrios is how well he's pitching ahead most of this year. This game has been spectacular. Not even to compare it directly to the above, but so many batters starting 0-2. Even Avisail who had a tremendous AB and was hard to put away on about 10 pitches started 0-2. 

He looks so sharp and throws so many strikes and is so hard to hit in the zone. Love this guy. Anyone worried that he's going to be a roller coaster I think is worrying over nothing. 

One of the announcers asked, "Has he even missed a spot yet?" in the top of the third. He's looked dynamite tonight. Even the sharp single he gave up to Yolmer was still on a good pitch that maybe was left up an inch higher than he wanted. 

2 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

It is and it isn't. Refusing to swing at any curveballs is going to get him looking too. That first curve ball was close but it was almost too close to take. It was a half an inch off the plate. It was a perfect pitch. And I think if Berrios puts it another inch inside Davidson still doesn't swing and K's looking.

Again it is BETTER, but it's like fixing an issue with duct tape instead of replacing a part. Maybe you dont' spring as big of a secondary leak, but you'll probably spring another leak soon enough. 

The sound of that J-Mart laser was truly awesome

• Like 1

Just now, DannyMcPot said:

WOW whatta shot from Magnifico! 

Dying to know the exit velo on that one 

• Thanks 1

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when people use nicknames/abbreviations on discussion boards and just assume people know what they are talking about?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, taobball said:

It is and it isn't. Refusing to swing at any curveballs is going to get him looking too. That first curve ball was close but it was almost too close to take. It was a half an inch off the plate. It was a perfect pitch. And I think if Berrios puts it another inch inside Davidson still doesn't swing and K's looking.

Again it is BETTER, but it's like fixing an issue with duct tape instead of replacing a part. Maybe you dont' spring as big of a secondary leak, but you'll probably spring another leak soon enough. 

Well most pitchers aren't Barrios. I think Eddie Murray said something like "I'm not taking the bat off my shoulder for a curveball. Throw three over and I'll tip my cap and take my seat in the dugout." There's something to be said for knowing one's limits. 

If you literally never swing at curveballs (except maybe hangers), you're going to work the count in your favor more often than the opposite. MD may only ever be a hitter that can pound mistake pitches from mediocre pitchers, but hey, a lot of guys have had long and successful careers doing just that. 

Just now, EmbargoLifted said:

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when people use nicknames/abbreviations on discussion boards and just assume people know what they are talking about?

If ya don't know, now ya know

Just now, sleepysock said:

Well most pitchers aren't Barrios. I think Eddie Murray said something like "I'm not taking the bat off my shoulder for a curveball. Throw three over and I'll tip my cap and take my seat in the dugout." There's something to be said for knowing one's limits. 

If you literally never swing at curveballs (except maybe hangers), you're going to work the count in your favor more often than the opposite. MD may only ever be a hitter that can pound mistake pitches from mediocre pitchers, but hey, a lot of guys have had long and successful careers doing just that. 

Which again, creates more 4-Seam Fastball counts for a lot of pitchers. 

2 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

giolito is getting dropped.

I have had bad pitchers but this is another level. As the announcers just said about his pitches, he doesn't even look competitive. I don't understand, he really looks like a bad single A player with no future. This can't all be cold weather

Edited by loro1991

That feeling when you own J Mart and Molina B)

Giolito is having a terrible start to the season but I'm keeping him.  VERY frustrating thus far, though!

Just now, 96GOAT said:

Giolito is having a terrible start to the season but I'm keeping him.  VERY frustrating thus far, though!

Can I ask why? And don't read into that connotatively... I'm legitimately wondering because I don't know what i'm supposed to take confidence in with Giolito. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Yes