ToO_BaD

4/12 - GAME DAY THREAD

4 minutes ago, taobball said:

Can I ask why? And don't read into that connotatively... I'm legitimately wondering because I don't know what i'm supposed to take confidence in with Giolito. 

Because he looked way different(better) in the spring. If you are in keeper/dynasty you really don't have a choice

Spring time he looked significantly better. You are banking on him fixing whatever is going on.

Edited by Dirtywater97

1 minute ago, loro1991 said:

I have had bad pitchers, but as the announcers just said about his pitches, he doesn't even look competitive. I don't understand, he really looks like a bad single A player with no future. This can't all be cold weather

I wonder if any of it is psychological. I saw a lot of his AAA starts last year and by the end before his callup he looked like the prized prospect of yore. Fastball mid nineties, sick 11 to 7 curve that he was throwing through a teacup, etc. Then he gets called up and while the ERA was stellar, his stuff wasn't the same. Same thing happened with the Nats. And now we see another huge drop-off between Spring Training and the regular season. Is he a guy that can only pitch when there's no pressure on him? At some point you have to wonder. 

• Like 1

Just now, sleepysock said:

I wonder if any of it is psychological. I saw a lot of his AAA starts last year and by the end before his callup he looked like the prized prospect of yore. Fastball mid nineties, sick 11 to 7 curve that he was throwing through a teacup, etc. Then he gets called up and while the ERA was stellar, his stuff wasn't the same. Same thing happened with the Nats. And now we see another huge drop-off between Spring Training and the regular season. Is he a guy that can only pitch when there's no pressure on him? At some point you have to wonder. 

I was thinking that too, he has openly talked about getting in his head and it effecting his performance in the past. But he made it sound like there had been progress. And it's not like the sox are expected to be competitive. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

Can I ask why? And don't read into that connotatively... I'm legitimately wondering because I don't know what i'm supposed to take confidence in with Giolito. 

Just a hunch.  He hasn't pitched in the greatest conditions weather wise so far this year.  I feel like things will change once he's able to grip a baseball and can actually feel his fingers on the ball itself.  

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

ya i kinda agree

boston is gonna retaliate im thinking too.

For what?  Gray wasn't trying to hit him.

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Then the umpires tend to overreact and throw out any pitcher who hits someone.  Probably would've foolishly threw out Gray.  I've seen it too many times.  But the umpires are just incompetent.  How was Kelly not thrown out immediately after he deliberately plunked Austin?  

Hanley looked like he was thinking of charging the mound but then realized his wrist was ******.

No Hanley did NOT look like he was going to charge the mound.  He just doubled over in pain immediately and walked around behind the plate.  Check your facts please before posting false info.  Gray did NOT intend to hit him.  Hanley KNEW Gray did not intend to hit him.  Everyone in the park knew it was not intentional.  It was no big deal except for the concern over the injury and that he had to leave the game with it which they are calling a wrist contusion as of now.

In other news Gray got shelled and left after 3 innings.  We we are in a rain delay after 5 innings with Porcello so far pitching a no hitter so time of delay will determine if he continues in the game or not.  But because of the cold alone I don't think he should return.  (Tarp is coming off the field now though).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Tack on another 2-run oppo double for J-Mart

Jo Mart I love you.

• Like 1

At this rate JoMart will compete with Trout for the number one pick in next years drafts!

Edited by ZChronicNebula

Nvm

Edited by ToO_BaD

4 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Giolito should write these twin hitters a thank you note after this game. 

And the royals, and the tigers who were very generous to only score 5 runs

5 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

alright this is relevant for people in QS leagues...

does porcello come out after a big rain delay?

Mmm tough.  His pitch count was great and he was cruising - after a big delay though, I doubt it.

9 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

alright this is relevant for people in QS leagues...

does porcello come out after a big rain delay?

He is out for the 6th (two out already) which is just starting after the delay.  I don't like it.  Think long term and not short term.  The delay was officially 45 minutes btw.

Moron umps.  Take 5 minutes to look at a challenged play and still get it wrong.

Just now, jdbob11 said:

Moron umps.  Take 5 minutes to look at a challenged play and still get it wrong.

is that the delay in the minny game?

Well those of you that have Porcello in QS leagues you got your wish.  Breezed through the 6th with a grounder and two strikeouts and you have your QS from him tonight.  Still a no-no.

2 hours ago, beauso79 said:

I think I'm about done with Wacha 

Only a matter of time Jack Flaherty comes back up. Flaherty starts tomorrow for Memphis.

Solid 5th inning for Gio. Off-speed stuff mostly hitting the right spots. Still not throwing above 90, though...