ToO_BaD

4/12 - GAME DAY THREAD

3 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I have to say. I’m impressed by Ohtani.

The whole world is & should be. Hasn't happened since Babe Ruth. This should be a bigger deal than it is. He should be on all headlines, newspapers, fake news channels, etc.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

The whole world is & should be. Hasn't happened since Babe Ruth. This should be a bigger deal than it is. He should be on all headlines, newspapers, fake news channels, etc.

maybe more than 2 weeks before we declare him Babe ruth?? lol

3 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Stanton stole a base

save situation for Kimbrel now

Nice start for Stratton.  Needed a starter for the week and picked him up out of free agency.  Not regretting that move at all.  Don't like his matchups for next week though, he hasn't been too impressive.  Probably won't use him on that 2-start week.

Leave it to the Padres to make Stratton look like an ace.

38 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Leave it to the Padres to make Stratton look like an ace.

As expected lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

These are not facts pal.

Eh. 1 on in front of JDM? That's like the last place I'd intentionally hit someone. Plus the ball hit him right in the hand. It was up and in not like in the center of his back or anything. And it was an inch away from not hitting him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Eh. 1 on in front of JDM? That's like the last place I'd intentionally hit someone. Plus the ball hit him right in the hand. It was up and in not like in the center of his back or anything. And it was an inch away from not hitting him

Yep. 

Gray dropped his elbow and the ball sailed on him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I have to say. I’m impressed by Ohtani.

I'm stunned at how well he's hitting.   The pitching part I kind of expected but the hitting has been a surprise,  especially with how he's handling velocity.   I saw no signs of that this spring at all. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I wonder if any of it is psychological. I saw a lot of his AAA starts last year and by the end before his callup he looked like the prized prospect of yore. Fastball mid nineties, sick 11 to 7 curve that he was throwing through a teacup, etc. Then he gets called up and while the ERA was stellar, his stuff wasn't the same. Same thing happened with the Nats. And now we see another huge drop-off between Spring Training and the regular season. Is he a guy that can only pitch when there's no pressure on him? At some point you have to wonder. 

Former SF pitching prospect Jesse Foppert was the same way...I think. 

Scouting reports all said 95 to 97 (in the days when that was rare).  Then he got to the bigs and was throwing 91/92.  Although I believe Foppert was trying to pitch through an injury. 

10 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Former SF pitching prospect Jesse Foppert was the same way...I think. 

Scouting reports all said 95 to 97 (in the days when that was rare).  Then he got to the bigs and was throwing 91/92.  Although I believe Foppert was trying to pitch through an injury. 

Oh man I remember Jesse Foppert. In middle school we had to write letters to someone of semi-importance and see what happens.  He actually responded and sent me an autographed card.  At the time I thought it was awesome.  Couldn’t even tell you where that card may or may not be now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I'm stunned at how well he's hitting.   The pitching part I kind of expected but the hitting has been a surprise,  especially with how he's handling velocity.   I saw no signs of that this spring at all. 

I was listening to Bay Area sports talk a couple days ago and if I remember correctly, they were saying that Japanese players look at ST purely as practice.  I think they mentioned that Ichiro had a pretty bad spring his first year over and many were writing him off.  But I could definitely be wrong about what I heard and I was pretty young when Ichiro would have had his first ST.