AroundTheHorn

Andrelton Simmons 2018 Outlook

Well, many Andrus owners are needing a replacement right now and this guy looks like he's turning the corner. Thoughts on his hot start?

1 minute ago, AroundTheHorn said:

Well, many Andrus owners are needing a replacement right now and this guy looks like he's turning the corner. Thoughts on his hot start?

I think he's a legit MI option in standard sized leagues. He started hot last year too but tailed off a little in the last couple months. If he can repeat what he did last year I'd be happy to own him. 

Did Andrelton really not have a thread o.O.

I missed the boat there, I would've started one. I think this is a pretty clear-cut top 10 SS, and that was my take coming into the preseason. 

• Like 4

He's legit. Should've had at least 2 hits last night. He's hitting thr ball hard and looks confident while still playing amazing defense. 

2 hours ago, taobball said:

Did Andrelton really not have a thread o.O.

I missed the boat there, I would've started one. I think this is a pretty clear-cut top 10 SS, and that was my take coming into the preseason. 

He had a nice solid season last year, I think some wanted to see him back it up, he actually went undrafted in our 13-teamer that utilizes the MI, ironically just got picked up as injury replacement for Elvis

Just now, parrothead said:

He had a nice solid season last year, I think some wanted to see him back it up, he actually went undrafted in our 13-teamer that utilizes the MI, ironically just got picked up as injury replacement for Elvis

Yeah he was undrafted in our 10 teamer that also uses MI. I added him right after waivers cleared after our draft and have been slotting him in at my util spot. I just asked the owner who lost Andrus if he'd be interested in him since he's got no other SS. He should be a top 10 SS this year if he even slightly improves upon last year, which I think is entirely possible. 

What I like about Simmons, and I successfully targeted him in my 16 team league, is his solid production across the board with no shortfalls.  The Angels lineup is potent and he's hitting in the 5/6 spot with Cozart-Trout-Upton-Pujols-Calhoun in front of him.  So long as he keeps his average over .275 he should see a good amount of RBIs to go with 15 HRs and SBs.  Seems to me a final line of .280-15-75-80-15 is a very reasonable floor for him this season.

Edited by I Miss Matt Cain
  • Like 1

Just in case you're in pathetic a situation as mine to care - looks like we dodged a bullet, because the wire is barren in 12+ leagues:

Andrelton Simmons departed the game with a right forearm contusion, per the Angels.
Beat Writer / Columnist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing like having an injury to your starting SS right before Sunday night weekly pickups are due. Can't find an update on his status anywhere either..

4 minutes ago, strahanfan92 said:

Nothing like having an injury to your starting SS right before Sunday night weekly pickups are due. Can't find an update on his status anywhere either..

MRI / x-rays we’re both negative he’s day to day for now...

• Like 1

He just took a pitch on the forearm, tho it was a nasty one. But he stayed in for a half an inning and I think he'll be out a day at most. If the Angels have a scheduled day off tomrorow they'll just use that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, taobball said:

He just took a pitch on the forearm, tho it was a nasty one. But he stayed in for a half an inning and I think he'll be out a day at most. If the Angels have a scheduled day off tomrorow they'll just use that. 

No reason to believe anything to the contrary I agree.

39 minutes ago, strahanfan92 said:

Arm bruise and they're off tomorrow,

Not actionable - unless you're in a small (</=10 team) league.

A zero may be adequate as a replacement in most leagues 12+ from what I can see.

37 minutes ago, taobball said:

He fine

Yeah it actually may have helped because he was slumping before.

2 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

OK that's it - slump buster is welts on the arm.

Know it - do it.

Probably one of the most surprising monster games I've ever owned. 2 hrs from the alien. wow. 

• Haha 1

What a night! Drafted Andrelton with the last pick of my draft in a 14 teamer and man, he was criminally underrated. 

2017 stats: .278 in 589 ABs, 77 runs, 69 RBIs, 14 HRs and 19 steals!

• Like 2

Love andrelton. Don't know why anyone would've dropped. Not to run it in or anything, but this is a day 1 to day 162 top 10 SS

• Like 1

Can anyone (maybe an Angel's fan) explain the reasoning behind Simmons success so far? He's hitting the tar out of the ball. Yes he has a .351 BABIP but he's got a 38.6% Hard contact with lot's of line drives (25.5%). He's always made good contact but why is he breaking out now?

On 5/5/2018 at 8:25 AM, Ecofolux said:

Can anyone (maybe an Angel's fan) explain the reasoning behind Simmons success so far? He's hitting the tar out of the ball. Yes he has a .351 BABIP but he's got a 38.6% Hard contact with lot's of line drives (25.5%). He's always made good contact but why is he breaking out now?

Here's one reason - he isn't striking out, like at all. Must read article:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/andrelton-simmons-is-avoiding-strikeouts-like-tony-gwynn/

I know it isn’t in good form to pat myself on the back but I can’t help it as to calling Andrelton’s break out (sorry! blind squirrels get nuts sometimes!)

as @mudrummer mentioned, his low K rate is enticing.

He is SO good in points leagues that punish Ks. I actually traded Xander away because I wanted to capitalize on the big name and keep starting Simmons.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1