Sign in to follow this  
NYR Fan 116894

Willie Snead 2018 Outlook

32 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And he got that top 32 PPR finish playing with a future first ballot HoF QB in a pass happy offense.  To ignore Snead's 2018 situation as 3rd or 4th best WR on a terrible passing offense?  That's just lazy analysis.

He wasn't 3rd or 4th best talent-wise though. Maybe it was the DUI. Maybe he's just an a**hole. Maybe he slept in and missed meetings. I don't know, but he's clearly exponentially more talented than Brandon friggin Coleman. 

You're ignoring a ton of variables here. I'd say that's actually lazier than my analysis. It'd be like saying we know Mahomes will be worse than Alex Smith because he was behind him on the depth chart last year. Of course, there's more to it than that. 

44 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And he got that top 32 PPR finish playing with a future first ballot HoF QB in a pass happy offense.  To ignore Snead's 2018 situation as 3rd or 4th best WR on a terrible passing offense?  That's just lazy analysis.

Right, we can completely discredit Snead because any scrub can catch 70 passes a year with Brees at QB and Payton calling plays.

I mean, Snead did have seasons of 69 and 72 catches, but look at all these Saints WRs who have caught at least 69 passes in a season from Brees. 

Michael Thomas

Marques Colston

Brandin Cooks

Willie Snead

*Lance Moore (1 season when Colston was injured and he got 121 targets!)

That's it. That's the whole list. You have 3 perennial all-pros, one season from a solid WR operating as the default #1, and Snead.

To be clear, I don't want to make this look like I think Snead is a lock to be a superstar next year. It's just stunning to me that people are looking at what was done to Snead last year (to Snead, not by Snead), and they're concluding that he sucks at football. He doesn't.

31 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Right, we can completely discredit Snead because any scrub can catch 70 passes a year with Brees at QB and Payton calling plays.

I mean, Snead did have seasons of 69 and 72 catches, but look at all these Saints WRs who have caught at least 69 passes in a season from Brees. 

Michael Thomas

Marques Colston

Brandin Cooks

Willie Snead

*Lance Moore (1 season when Colston was injured and he got 121 targets!)

That's it. That's the whole list. You have 3 perennial all-pros, one season from a solid WR operating as the default #1, and Snead.

To be clear, I don't want to make this look like I think Snead is a lock to be a superstar next year. It's just stunning to me that people are looking at what was done to Snead last year (to Snead, not by Snead), and they're concluding that he sucks at football. He doesn't.

Nothing was done to Snead. He got himself suspended with his stupidity, and in the process lost the ONLY thing that has ever made him fantasy viable: the on-field trust of Brees. He needs another elite QB in a high volume offense to ever be fantasy relevant again, and Flacco certainly isn't that. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Nothing was done to Snead. He got himself suspended with his stupidity, and in the process lost the ONLY thing that has ever made him fantasy viable: the on-field trust of Brees. He needs another elite QB in a high volume offense to ever be fantasy relevant again, and Flacco certainly isn't that. 

Fair enough. Maybe I should have said, "what happened because of his off the field actions". 

Flacco is clearly a huge downgrade. Interestingly though, the only receivers that Flacco has ever made relevant have been slot guys who aren't necessarily fast, but run good routes (old Steve Smith, Kamar Aiken, Anquan Boldin, old Derrick Mason). 

The 2yr 10m deal  vs. drafting a cheaper version of what Snead is/was is what's hard to understand.

59 minutes ago, psygolf said:

The 2yr 10m deal  vs. drafting a cheaper version of what Snead is/was is what's hard to understand.

It seems like Ozzie Newsome may have lost his golden touch.  This contract is a genuine head-scratcher.

8 hours ago, ajs723 said:

He wasn't 3rd or 4th best talent-wise though. Maybe it was the DUI. Maybe he's just an a**hole. Maybe he slept in and missed meetings. I don't know, but he's clearly exponentially more talented than Brandon friggin Coleman. 

You're ignoring a ton of variables here. I'd say that's actually lazier than my analysis. It'd be like saying we know Mahomes will be worse than Alex Smith because he was behind him on the depth chart last year. Of course, there's more to it than that. 

If you read and understand my post, I wrote that Snead is 3rd or 4th most talented WR on the Ravens in 2018.  I would put Snead firmly behind Crabtree and a healthy John Brown.  If Perriman can get his head on straight, he is also quite a bit more talented than Snead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If you read and understand my post, I wrote that Snead is 3rd or 4th most talented WR on the Ravens in 2018.  I would put Snead firmly behind Crabtree and a healthy John Brown.  If Perriman can get his head on straight, he is also quite a bit more talented than Snead.

In that case, I'd say Snead is second on the totem pole. I'm rooting for John Brown, but he didn't exactly impress in Arizona, and there probably isn't a more objectively injury prone player in the NFL.

The real concern is that the Ravens draft a WR early, which still feels pretty likely. 

20 hours ago, seanismorris said:

When is the last time Flacco made his #2 WR fantasy relevant?  I’ll pass...

Flacco needs to make Flacco relevant. He stinks! 

• Thanks 1

With Crabtree being more of a low volume RZ target and John Brown being the deep threat, anyone envision Snead leading the team in targets from the slot?

Just updating the thread. 

The guy is pretty steady this year. Safe bet for a 5/50 game. 

Looking ahead in two weeks he has the Saints. 

Maybe a desperation injury+bye week heave. 

He's worth an add in deeper leagues.

Sidenote: Damn, this guy screwed up his career.

He was a big part of the Saints offense at one point. Then he got that DUI, and found himself mostly riding pine. Now he's eeking it out in Baltimore. I'd call that a major downgrade on many levels.

lots of fantasy relevant WRs on bye this week. 

Here is Snead. I do think Lattimore can handle Crabtree. 

Snead is a great flyer candidate this week. 

I agree with the 7-80-1

New Orleans did him DIRTY when he was there. He got suspended before the season started and when he returned from it week 5 Sean Payton gave him the depth chart treatment and never really made an impact and was released that offseason. Snead actually turned out to be a colossal bust in fantasy that year I remember taking him round 5 and the "experts" were all over him.

You can take it to the bank, Snead will be out for blood. He's playing well, Flacco is playing well and targeting him and the Saints give up the most points to fantasy WRs so far. 

Does this guy play the slot? Looking at his ROS schedule there are some real potential for shootouts after his week 10 bye...

No Flacco hurts him? Or gets targeted as slot guy by Lamar JACKSON

this is terrible, i just picked him up for his high floor consistency, now flacco on his backo, great

Looks like his target share didn’t change with Jackson. In fact I like him more as the quick high completion percentage throws probably play well into Jackson’s game.

Don’t mind him as a WR3/Flex moving forward.

He’s also on Josh Hermsmeyer’s buy low model for this week for what it’s worth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1