Sign in to follow this  
squidthunder

Trade Verlander away for a future 2nd rounder?

Hi guys,

I'm in complete rebuild mode for my baseball squad, and there's no way I can compete this year with injuries. I'm looking to move current players for future players or picks, and I've been offered a future 2nd round pick for Verlander.

Verlander is kinda on that borderline keeper for me right now (keep 5) but getting future picks to rebuild seems smart. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

ask for the first round pick

Do u honestly think he's worth a 1st round pick? I know he's been lights out so far, and lots of offense with the Astros now. 

In a 10 team league, assuming that the top 50 players or so are kept from one year to the next, then that would equate to Verlander being the number 60-70 ADP value? No way, he should be a first rounder if you are trying to flip him for future value.

Thing is if Verlander was in next years draft he would go in the first round . Aim high . Nothing wrong with having a stud starter next year . 

Hey fellas - for an update, the guy won't give up a 1st rounder. Said Verlander is not worth it, and not a viable keeper/1st round pick next year

Then KEEP Verlander. Its early in the season. He's 4-0 and just keeps getting it done. Somebody will be willing to give you a 1 st round pick. Don't settle for anything less. Whats the worse thing that happens ? you go into the off season with one of the best pitchers in baseball ?

Hard for me to say not knowing who goes in a first or second round pick in your league.  If you can keep five players, I'm not even sure someone available in the first round would be worth Verlander.  But yes, I'd start by asking for a 1st rounder and maybe even a 4th or 5th rounder, too, and see where the negotiations go from there.

Help? http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/701323-trading-for-a-catcheror-more-whir/

Thanks fellas - I guess I'm going to sit and wait and see how it plays out. He's too good to ask for anything besides a 1st. The owner thinks he may be ok if Stroman returns to good health

Stroman = Verlander  

LOL

so...owner has come around. 

Willing to give up a 1st, but wants Verlander and a future 6th rounder in return.

1 hour ago, squidthunder said:

Willing to give up a 1st, but wants Verlander and a future 6th rounder in return.

Who do you think is available in the 6th, that you would want? If you are okay with giving them up, I would make the trade. 

Use #3 waiver on G Torres & drop Swanson, for my 2b/ss slot? Thanks!

17 minutes ago, DarinB300 said:

Who do you think is available in the 6th, that you would want? If you are okay with giving them up, I would make the trade. 

Use #3 waiver on G Torres & drop Swanson, for my 2b/ss slot? Thanks!

Some guys that went in the 6th this past season  were Luke Weaver, Matt Carpenter, and Albies

I don't think Torres is doing enough to waste that waiver

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Some guys that went in the 6th this past season  were Luke Weaver, Matt Carpenter, and Albies

I don't think Torres is doing enough to waste that waiver

If you don't keep 5, do you get extra picks & when are those picks?

If Albies isn't kept for whatever reason, I would imagine he will go higher than the 6th next year. Same as Weaver. I think I would take that deal.

No, we got to keep 5 for keepers. I just made a deal to get Corey Seagers for MadBum ( keeper rules so I couldn't keep MadBum next year). Then Max and Judge are my only 2 sure fire keeper options from my current squad

If you may not keep Verlander as one of your 5 keepers, then why are you not trying to win this year. Seems like your team is stacked?

but no, Verlander is worth more.

Edited by TB712

Man, I've had no luck. I've lost MadBum and Andrus early with injuries and also lost my best closer. Then having horrible starts of the season with Ozuna, Contreas and Olson. Verlander, max and Judge are my only bright points so far. I'd rather plan ahead and stock pile picks and young studs for next year and start fresh. 

But yes, Verlanders value is going up. And he's looking like a keeper now

I think first rounder with 5 keepers is definitely OK for him. Don't forget with 5 keepers in a team team league the top50 are already off the board so it is essentially a 5th round pick in a non keeper league. 

I wouldn't draft verlander top2 rounds in a non keeper of course and in a dynasty getting a younger guy would be nice but he certainly should be worth 50-60 overall.

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think first rounder with 5 keepers is definitely OK for him. Don't forget with 5 keepers in a team team league the top50 are already off the board so it is essentially a 5th round pick in a non keeper league. 

I wouldn't draft verlander top2 rounds in a non keeper of course and in a dynasty getting a younger guy would be nice but he certainly should be worth 50-60 overall.

Thanks - I think the hiccup right now is that the guy wants a return pick back as well. He's been asking for a 4th rounder, and I'm thinking 7th is good enough

On 4/24/2018 at 3:15 PM, squidthunder said:

Do u honestly think he's worth a 1st round pick? I know he's been lights out so far, and lots of offense with the Astros now. 

his adp this year was a 3rd round pick and his first round pick is in the 6th round. 

if you're getting his first pick then you shouldn't be too picky with the pick you give back. it shouldn't be a deal breaker. 4th round pick is 30 ish picks later. 

What you guys aren’t factoring in is that when you trade for a future pick, you get that extra pick AND get to keep someone in his place.  So what’s your replacement keeper for verlander?  Is the difference between that guy and verlander worth a 5th/6th round guy?  My guess is your 6th best keeper + whoever you draft is definitely more valuable so trade away.  Hell do it for a 2nd rounder if you need to.  You’ll be glad you did next year.

23 hours ago, squidthunder said:

if you are CERTAIN you're not keeping verlander then I make the deal. 

If you have any doubt ... dump him. That's a good deal. 

On 4/24/2018 at 3:52 PM, motown magic said:

Thing is if Verlander was in next years draft he would go in the first round . Aim high . Nothing wrong with having a stud starter next year . 

Agree, I think he fell a little because people wanted to see whole season in HOU, but if this continues, he should probably be a keeper, but if not would be a 1st rounder for sure.