cohenstantinople

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The oline is the difference. With Zeke, you didn't even have to think how he would translate because Trent Richardson would be a sure fire RB1 behind that line. 

Also, I don't agree with better weapons. Eli got benched while Prescott had a damn good season. 

Well i agree for the oline part,  but i would temper the "weapon" argument. Dez/Beasley/Witten/Dak may be inferior to OBJ/Shep/Engram/Eli, but i don't think the difference is greater than the difference between the 2 olines. There are no really top 5 talent at their position in the giants line, so the gamble on Saquon is bigger than on Zeke imo

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, egolam said:

Well i agree for the oline part,  but i would temper the "weapon" argument. Dez/Beasley/Witten/Dak may be inferior to OBJ/Shep/Engram/Eli, but i don't think the difference is greater than the difference between the 2 olines. There are no really top 5 talent at their position in the giants line, so the gamble on Saquon is bigger than on Zeke imo

If you consider a QB a weapon and account for their influence then the Giants aren't all that much better. I understand Eli didn't have much to work with but he was borderline a bum.

20 hours ago, Gohawks said:

If you consider a QB a weapon and account for their influence then the Giants aren't all that much better. I understand Eli didn't have much to work with but he was borderline a bum.

I wouldn't quite put it all on Eli.  Supposedly , the coach lost the players in the locker room and when that happens, the players don't play to their full potential.   I think with ODB, Shepherd and engram, and Eli's experience, it should create enough lanes for Saquon to run through.  I would consider him at 6 in a redraft

• Thanks 1

I don't think we can look at last year's team as any kind of gauge for the Giants this year.  It was obvious that team quit last year.  The defense didn't even show up some games, the O-line was miserable, no OBJ, no Marshall, Shephard in and out of the line up, and a head coach who clearly was above his head.  Assuming players stay healthy, this offense will have OBJ, Shephard, and Engram to open up the field, a vastly improved O-line, and a much better coaching staff.  I think you could stick just about any QB in the top 25 on this team, and Barkley would produce.  Eli doesn't need to carry the team.  This defense was tops in the league not too long ago, and still have most of those players.  The Giants can have a lot of success this year running the ball, playing defense, and using their play makers like OBJ and Engram to take the top off when the opportunity is there.  No team in their right mind will leave OBJ 1v1.  Barkley should see plenty of 7 man fronts, otherwise Odell will eat people alive. 

• Like 1

It’s a shame his schedule isn’t a little softer. Do you guys put much weight into that? Maybe I factor it in a little too much

I definitely factor in SOS.  It's not the "be all end all" and honestly carries a small amount of weighting to my overall decision on players, but is definitely a nice data point to consider.  I also go a little further and break it down by regular season, and playoffs.  My spreadsheet of players has their SOS for Weeks 1-13, and then their SOS for 14-16 as two separate lines.  So many things change from year to year, so you can't put a lot of stock into it, but just another data point to consider.  

1 hour ago, FinsUp24 said:

It’s a shame his schedule isn’t a little softer. Do you guys put much weight into that? Maybe I factor it in a little too much

I take it slightly into consideration if I am on the fence about a player.

I focus more on potential volume than I do on SoS. I like tot think the coaching staff will find ways to get the ball to their playmakers.

1 hour ago, FinsUp24 said:

Volume and role are more important imo.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

Perkins waived ..rip sweet prince 

I'd feel better if JStew was waived. Obviously won't happen c the money they gave him.

5 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

I find schedule more important for WRs especially the matchups and also possibly 2 down backs. For 3 down backs it never impacts my draft decision unless it comes down to a coin flip between players.

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

I'd feel better if JStew was waived. Obviously won't happen c the money they gave him.

jstew smells like a TD vulture 

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Any TDs he scores this season are a vulture. 

The schedule? Short answer: Not concerned.

Longer answer: 

1. He's a better overall prospect than Zeke [and pretty much any RB prospect in recent memory]

2. He's a threat to score every time he touches the ball, whether it's a carry or reception

3. The Giants supporting cast heading into 2018 is better than Dallas' - it's really not even close. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/saquon-barkley

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ezekiel-elliott

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/david-johnson-2015

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/leveon-bell

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/leonard-fournette

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/kareem-hunt

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/alvin-kamara

He profiles similar to David Johnson - only Saquon is faster, stronger. Athletically Zeke/Fournette/Hunt aren't even close and we just witnessed the Jags have the #1 run game in the league with a mediocre OL / lack of passing game. 

Solder, Hernandez, Jones, Omameh, Wheeler* is going to be much improved and a potentially dominant left side in the run game - "mediocre" is all this OL needs to be while Odell/Engram keep secondaries on their heals. 

Penn State's OL wasn't good and he was the weekly focus of every defense they faced ... and yet he put up 170+ total yards and 2 TDs against CFB's #1 run defense [Washington, fiesta bowl]. 

troll: LMAO huge hole homer ... [yeah, it's more the effortless speed to run away from every one on the field that's the point]

troll: something about USC's defense sucking or something ... like running through arm tackles, ankle breaking cut backs, and breakaway speed aren't impressive. 

troll: something about Georgia State level of competition, like the sideline hesitation and then explosion past defenders isn't impressive. 

here's the point: 230 pound humans aren't supposed to move this way and there's a reason he's widely regarded as the best RB prospect to become available in a long, long time.

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On 5/8/2018 at 2:49 PM, egolam said:

to be fair, it's quite a gamble to draft him before those names. The Giants are still a work in progress, Solder's signing is a good improvement for the pass protection, but i'm not sure our run blocking got better. A lot changed for this team and i don't expect them to finish the season 19-0

Solder has become one of the best run blocking left tackles in the league and assuming hernandez remains at his Left Guard position, that side of the OL has the potential to be dominant - if not at least "good"

barkley can create on his own and there wont be any 8+ defenders in the box as long as Odell is in the lineup ... Odell/Barkley/Engram is going to be a nightmare trio for any defense. 

9 hours ago, dashoe said:

JStew just smells.

6 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

1. He's a better overall prospect than Zeke [and pretty much any RB prospect in recent memory]

2. He's a threat to score every time he touches the ball, whether it's a carry or reception

3. The Giants supporting cast heading into 2018 is better than Dallas' - it's really not even close.

1. He's a better athlete than Zeke.  I think Zeke is a better running back.  Something to be said for finding the hole and getting downhill.

2. OK, sure, same goes for lots of guys.

3. Pass catchers are better and it isn't close.  OL is worse and it isn't close.  QB is better and it's close.

NYRFan's tweet about Shurmur is important.  Shurmur will have a major impact on how the offense in general is run.  I.e. he runs a ton.  Should make people think twice about drafting Beckham as high as he's going.

15 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

1. He's a better athlete than Zeke.  I think Zeke is a better running back.  Something to be said for finding the hole and getting downhill.

2. OK, sure, same goes for lots of guys.

3. Pass catchers are better and it isn't close.  OL is worse and it isn't close.  QB is better and it's close.

NYRFan's tweet about Shurmur is important.  Shurmur will have a major impact on how the offense in general is run.  I.e. he runs a ton.  Should make people think twice about drafting Beckham as high as he's going.

Yeah this is the issue i'm wrestling with, which NYG player to own Barkley or OBJ. 

Listening to the homers all of their skills payers will be top3 fantasy players but everyone knows an offense can support only so many fantasy studs. 

19 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Volume and role are more important imo.

Yeah, I don't even look at SOS; or  the schedule in general for that matter.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Yeah, I don't even look at SOS; or  the schedule in general for that matter.

Nah

its so overrated.  Possibly the second most overrated thing after the combine 

• Like 1

And Darkwa is a free agent, Paul Perkins cut.  All clear for takeoff.

Currently in 12man ppr redrafts  odell is round1 and barkley at the 1-2 turn. I wonder as wk1 approaches does barkley move into the 1st rd like AB/Bell.

I wonder which teams duo performs better in fantasy.

27 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Currently in 12man ppr redrafts  odell is round1 and barkley at the 1-2 turn. I wonder as wk1 approaches does barkley move into the 1st rd like AB/Bell.

I wonder which teams duo performs better in fantasy.

Assuming health the pitt duo.   Better oline, better qb, better offense.