Rotoworld.com Forums

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

1 minute ago, cohenstantinople said:

David Johnson put up 1239 rushing yards and 16 rushing TDs with an O-line ranked 26th. ;)

And in the process proved he's an elite NFL RB. 

Barkley still has to prove it. 

God dammit...are we going to start talking DJ in the Barkley thread now?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

The McCoy comparison was essentially what I was alluding to. Really crazy good in space, maybe not the best between the tackles. 

His success and just how good he can be will likely be tied to how well the NYG O line performs. 

Probably a good thing they signed 1 of the best run blocking left tackles in the league and then followed Barkley with a guard widely regarded as a day 1 impact starter who excels in the run game. Barkley’s actual ability at 230+ pounds will help - as will the 7 man fronts Beckham/Engram/ Shepard provide 

Theres a reason you see McCoy, Sanders, Tomlinson, Bo Jackson, Faulk comparisons. He’s incredible.

Generating yards behind the LOS and at the LOS after contact is only really indicative of the type of running style. I'm not surprised to see McCoy do poorly in that category. McCoy's talent in generating positive yards is finding a hole and diving through it. And staying low to the ground with amazing balance. But once a body is on him he is going to go down.

All that really tells us is Barkley isn't Lynch. Not many players are. And that stat really only matters for players on a team that invests nothing into the OL like Seattle did. As long as Barkley isn't going down on 1st contact at the 2nd level and can make players miss beyond the LOS that is what matters the most. Otherwise we have another Latavius Murray on our hands.

I'm not worried about that stat at all.

Yeah, I was gonna bring this back over here too, with the highlights from the Ohio State game that were being hawked over in the David Johnson thread.

I'm not sure what we are supposed to get chills about here.

Highlight #1:  Barkley returns the opening kickoff for a TD.  It was well-blocked, and Barkley took what was given him.  The commentators remarked that the weakness in the left side of the OSU kickoff coverage had been exposed in the Maryland game.

Highlight #2:  Barkley gets open for a shovel pass behind the LOS; runs between two effective blocks, and then nearly falls over trying to make a cut and is tackled on the spot.

Highlight #3:  On 3rd and 10, Barkley is open for another reception near the line of scrimmage, and runs out of bounds half a yard short of the first down rather than engaging the DB.  (The referee gave him the first down anyway, but the ball was clearly out of bounds short of the line to gain.)

Highlight #4:  On 3rd and 14, Barkley catches a pass 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage with no defender within 10 yards of him.  He gains 4 more yards, jukes (to no avail) and falls forward for an 8 yard gain.

Highlight #5:  Barkley plows up the middle for a 2 yard gain.

Highlight #6:  This one I might axually call a highlight.  Barkley breaks an arm tackle, cuts back against the grain, and avoids defenders for a 36 yard TD run--although it really kinda looks like he stepped out of bounds with his right heel at the 2 yard line.

Highlight #7:  Barkley is hit 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage but spins away for a 2 yard gain.

Highlight #8:  On 3rd and 1, Barkley plows up the middle again for a 4 yard gain.

Highlight #9:  Barkley ducks under a defender behind the LOS and gains 3 yards on 1st and 10.

Highlight #10:  On 3rd and 6, Barkley lowers his head, plows into the middle of the line, and gains 2 yards.

Highlight #11:  Barkley takes a pitch outside and runs out of bounds after a 2 yard gain (again, rather than engaging a defender).

Highlight #12:  Barkley bounces a run outside, but is chased down on the perimeter for a gain of 3 yards.

Highlight #13:  Barkley plunges up the middle for 4 yards on 3rd and 3 for a first down.

Highlight #14:  Barkley gets blocking on the line, runs through a 10 foot wide hole, but is brought down on first contact in the secondary for a gain of 8 yards.

Highlight #15:  Barkley shakes and bakes to the left flank without really forcing any missed tackles, but gains 6 yards.

Highlight #16:  With Penn State up 38-33 but facing a third down at their own 6 yard line, Barkley takes the ball up the middle (again) for a 6 yard gain.  Penn State goes on to punt, and Ohio State wins the game, 39-38.

I don't see anything there that makes me want this guy on my fantasy team.

16 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Theres a reason you see McCoy, Sanders, Tomlinson, Bo Jackson, Faulk comparisons. He’s incredible.

At least against Georgia State.  Let's see how he does against a professional defense.

6 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

So he was better in 2015 than he was in 2017.  That's not an encouraging trend...

he had about 700 more total yards in 2017 ... and 34 more receptions ... and 13 more TDs ... good one though. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/saquon-barkley-1.html

oh and his highest yards per touch despite the increased workload ...  and more scrimmage yards (2017) than even in 2016 despite less touches. good night. 

3 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

he had about 700 more total yards in 2017 ... and 34 more receptions ... and 13 more TDs ...

...and his ypc declined from 5.9 to 5.7...

I'm not highly invested in the debate one way or another, because Barkley won't be on any of my teams; I just don't draft rookies until they've shown they can play at the next level, that's all.

Are we still talking about in June what an NFL rookie did in college? :lol:

There are no training camp vids available so guys are pulling up college highlight clips?:lol:

The NFL draft is over the  GM took a rb over a QB so it's  time to move on bro, let it go :lol:

4 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

I'm not highly invested in the debate one way or another, because Barkley won't be on any of my teams; I just don't draft rookies until they've shown they can play at the next level, that's all.

5.9 in 2015 ... 5.9 in 2017 ...  solid cherry pick 

Tomlinson had 5.7 ypc too in college ...

7 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

5.9 in 2015 ... 5.9 in 2017 ...  solid cherry pick 

No, 5.9 in 2015 and 5.7 in 2017.  Unless his ESPN stats page is wrong.

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

This is for the guys who keep posting barkley COLLEGE clips because they dream about  him in a loving way . . .:D

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast:

southpark-jizz.jpg

4 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

So you missed out on Fournette, Kamara, and Hunt, and you're sour on that.  Ok, that makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Tugginroot said:

So you missed out on Fournette, Kamara, and Hunt, and you're sour on that.  Ok, that makes sense. 

Sour?  If I was sour, I'd probly think about changing my strategy--and you only mentioned a few anomalies from RECENT years.  I've been playing for like 25 years now, and I'm still totally fine with missing out on the outliers--there is plenty of talent in the NFL to build a fantasy team around.  Even Axe Elf doesn't draft the top four players at every position every year--there's always SOMEONE I miss out on.  Rookies are among them.  It's hard to be sour on a proven winning strategy.

13 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Sour?  If I was sour, I'd probly think about changing my strategy--and you only mentioned a few anomalies from RECENT years.  I've been playing for like 25 years now, and I'm still totally fine with missing out on the outliers--there is plenty of talent in the NFL to build a fantasy team around.  Even Axe Elf doesn't draft the top four players at every position every year--there's always SOMEONE I miss out on.  Rookies are among them.  It's hard to be sour on a proven winning strategy.

I've been playing for 25 years as well, where were you last year when you were being called out left and right on your NUMEROUS fails?  You were MIA for the rest of the season.  C'mon man, not my first rodeo, either, pull the wool over someone else, but not on me.

32 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

I've been playing for 25 years as well, where were you last year when you were being called out left and right on your NUMEROUS fails?  You were MIA for the rest of the season.  C'mon man, not my first rodeo, either, pull the wool over someone else, but not on me.

The same place I always am; reaping the rewards of my numerous longshot bullseye calls, and acknowledging the smiling faces of my pupils as they hoist their own Elf-facilitated Championship trophies.

And if you want to learn more, visit the Axe Elf's 2017 Players, Teams and Leagues" thread in the Assistant Coach forum.

18 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

might be time to adapt to the new times dude. These rookies are making huge impacts in the NFL right away and we've seen plenty of evidence for it already. I'm sure you missed out on Zeke's rookie year too with that mentality, he won many people championships his rookie year. Kamara, Hunt, Fournette, Cook , Mcaffrey all had success last year. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unlocked this topic

Archived