cohenstantinople

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

2 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

My obsession with you...

The first step is admitting it.

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yes, same round.  Why does it matter if it was 1st or 2nd? Regardless this whole thing is idiotic, that was the point.  We're literally talking about the best RB prospect since LaDanian Tomlinson.  He's bigger, faster, stronger, more agile, and a better receiver than David Wilson.  He also doesn't have a fumbling problem.  David Wilson was a late 1st round pick.  Barkley went #2 overall.

While it’s a silly comparison you also do have to consider hindsight bias. He was a first round pick and was a bust like plenty of other first round picks. I understand Barkley went second but the hesitance to draft him very high is understandable even though I personally would take him top 10.

10 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Why not do both?  :blink:

Because you don't need to. Look at the money they have tied up on that position now and look at past Superbowl winners. History proves you don't need one. A wise  investment would be drafting a future franchise QB at 2 and getting your RB in later rounds. 

10 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Well, they are the two most recent RBs picked in the first round of the draft by the Giants, and both are being drafted highly as fantasy rookies (I believe Wilson was a mid-2nd round pick while Barkely is a late 1st round pick.  It's not an outrageous comparison.

hahahahahahahah hell not even close. wilson was brought in as a passing down compliment rb not a true 3 down rb. he was 5'10" 205....barkley was drafted #2 overall. 6' 225.....a complete 3 down rb.....are you kidding me???????? barkley is in the zeke elloitt mode. it is a outrageous comparison in all aspects. comeon, everyone comes on here to bash a guy. barkley, with his potential usage. his draft position.his impact of how the offense will be centered around him???? it is not even a question that he should be taken in the top 10 of any draft thats out there. for sure in ppr. i mean really?????? what the hell can anyone else do to beat his potential?

11 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Well, they are the two most recent RBs picked in the first round of the draft by the Giants, and both are being drafted highly as fantasy rookies (I believe Wilson was a mid-2nd round pick while Barkely is a late 1st round pick.  It's not an outrageous comparison.

Its extremely outrageous. Barkley is light years better than those other clowns.

10 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

hahahahahahahah hell not even close. wilson was brought in as a passing down compliment rb not a true 3 down rb. he was 5'10" 205....barkley was drafted #2 overall. 6' 225.....a complete 3 down rb.....are you kidding me???????? barkley is in the zeke elloitt mode. it is a outrageous comparison in all aspects. comeon, everyone comes on here to bash a guy. barkley, with his potential usage. his draft position.his impact of how the offense will be centered around him???? it is not even a question that he should be taken in the top 10 of any draft thats out there. for sure in ppr. i mean really?????? what the hell can anyone else do to beat his potential?

Amen

The 2 are RBs drafted by the Giants in the first round - and that is literally where the similarities end. Unfortunately these lazy half assed comparisons are what some refer to as “analysis”.

12 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

how can you possibly even consider comparing barkley to david wilson???? thats the worst one i heard yet....completely.....thats why i said WTF

Quote the part where I compared them. 

12 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

how can you possibly even consider comparing barkley to david wilson???? thats the worst one i heard yet....completely.....thats why i said WTF

Actually  where a player is drafted is very indicative of how a team values them on a numerical basis  So instead of laughing at someone because you don't like their opinion, take a moment to consider the point they are making.

Yes you can compare Wilson to barkley in context of their draft values; this what teams do every year, compare players.

NFL teams assign numerical trade values to each draft position so it makes it easier to form a basis of what you think a player is worth.

The 1st 8picks are extremely valuable to teams and the top 3 are insanely valuable.

So when a rbis taken in the 1st round that is a statement pick from a team stating where they think their biggest need is but when a rb is taken in the top 3, a team is stating that rb is the focus of their offense and the future of their franchise to obtain a championship not a economically more valuable position like QB. 

The NYG are stating the key/engine to their offense and path to a title is Barkley, not OBJ or ELI or Webb; that's what a top 3 pick means. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

4 hours ago, South Carolina said:

Its extremely outrageous. Barkley is light years better than those other clowns.

To paraphrase Mike Tyson, everyone is better than everyone else until they face a live NFL defense.

5 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

Why would the giants spend a first round pick on a complimentary RB? I think they just whiffed on the pick 

On 6/21/2018 at 4:33 PM, bhawks489 said:

Don't sleep on 2012s David Wilson 

if that aint a comparison than i guess i dont  know anything like some seem to think. you said it. its what you meant. so dont back pedal or backtrack. if barkley doesnt finish in the top 5 rbs this year i will come on here and acknowledge that i was wrong. i dont feel i will be. and i dont mind taking him #7 overall to prove it.

7 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

if that aint a comparison than i guess i dont  know anything like some seem to think. you said it. its what you meant. so dont back pedal or backtrack. if barkley doesnt finish in the top 5 rbs this year i will come on here and acknowledge that i was wrong. i dont feel i will be. and i dont mind taking him #7 overall to prove it.

I said what exactly? Don't sleep on David Wilson was said to axe in response to RBs drafted high by the giants. I don't know where you saw any comparison at all. Maybe take what people post without adding anything to it

2 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

I would respect you more if you acknowledged that there's a very high likelihood of you being wrong even BEFORE you have to have it proven to you.

5 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

I said what exactly? Don't sleep on David Wilson was said to axe in response to RBs drafted high by the giants. I don't know where you saw any comparison at all. Maybe take what people post without adding anything to it

you said it. it dont matter to who. you compared drafting barkley this year to david wilson in 2012. its what everyone else is kinda getting here too. i just said that there is no comparison in the 2. none. it is a whole different set of circumstances. period. there is nothing the giants have done in their past drafts that even closely resembles what they did taking barkley at 2. and there isnt any other player they have drafted recently that will even compare to the impact barkley will make on this offense. the results will be great for eli. he will make the oline look better. he will open things up in the middle for engram. and he will take a saftey off of beckham for constant doubles. fantastic pick. period. look out for the giants this year. and i'm a cowboy fan.

3 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

look out for the giants this year. and i'm a cowboy fan.

And clearly, you're not an nfl scout.

3 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

I would respect you more if you acknowledged that there's a very high likelihood of you being wrong even BEFORE you have to have it proven to you.

how am i the one thats wrong? i didnt say that barkley is the david wilson of 2012.. so you prove to me that i am wrong then. why warn me ? just cut me then if i'm so wrong about my assumption? what the hell should a person think when someone makes a statement like that on a barkley thread???? the problem is you guys make these bold statements and when someone calls you out you twist it. i've been around 56 years and i've seen this before. backpeddling they call it. mix it up so you dont have to own up to it. thats fine its in writing. we can all read and we can all see.

3 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

how am i the one thats wrong? i didnt say that barkley is the david wilson of 2012.. so you prove to me that i am wrong then. why warn me ? just cut me then if i'm so wrong about my assumption? what the hell should a person think when someone makes a statement like that on a barkley thread???? the problem is you guys make these bold statements and when someone calls you out you twist it. i've been around 56 years and i've seen this before. backpeddling they call it. mix it up so you dont have to own up to it. thats fine its in writing. we can all read and we can all see.

Well, you're not wrong YET.  But you said that IF Barkley doesn't finish among the top 5 RBs, you'd come on here and acknowledge that you were wrong.  I said that I would respect you more if you admitted that you're willing to gamble on Barkley but that there was a high chance that you were wrong before you are axually proven to be wrong--because it's highly unlikely for a rookie RB to finish among the top 5 RBs.

2 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

and i take it that you are.....what team do you work for?

Hey, I didn't give you that name; I just said that your name is clearly who you are.

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

Well, you're not wrong YET.  But you said that IF Barkley doesn't finish among the top 5 RBs, you'd come on here and acknowledge that you were wrong.  I said that I would respect you more if you admitted that you're willing to gamble on Barkley but that there was a high chance that you were wrong before you are axually proven to be wrong--because it's highly unlikely for a rookie RB to finish among the top 5 RBs.

I know, right?  They were only 2 in the top 4 last year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I know, right?  They were only 2 in the top 4 last year.

Out of how many?  30?  And only one the year before that.  And then you have to go all the way back to 2012 to find another.

6 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Out of how many?  30?  And only one the year before that.  And then you have to go all the way back to 2012 to find another.

Yeah crazy that all 30 didn't make the top 5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

By that logic only 3 starting veterans made the top 5 out of what 27? Zeke, Fournette, Kamara, Hunt are very recent proof that a rookie running back with opportunity can succeed in the NFL today. Barkley will have plenty of opportunity and has just as much talent as the RB’s I just stated.

Edited by Breesus
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yeah crazy that all 30 didn't make the top 5.

12 minutes ago, Breesus said:

By that logic only 3 starting veterans made the top 5 out of what 27? Zeke, Fournette, Kamara, Hunt are very recent proof that a rookie running back with opportunity can succeed in the NFL today. Barkley will have plenty of opportunity and has just as much talent as the RB’s I just stated.

So there's some recent evidence that one or two rookie RBs might make the top 5.  But to pick a specific ONE (Barkley) and say, THIS one will, is a losing proposition.  1 in 15 gives you about a 6.7% chance of being right--and that's if TWO rookie RBs make the top 5.  If only one does, your chances of picking that one are only half that.

And yes, the same goes for vets.  We know that probly 4 of them will be in the top 5--but the trick is figuring out which 4.  Saying that 4 vets will be in the top 5 is almost a slam dunk; identifying them by name before the season starts is also a losing proposition.

The two that ended up in the top 5 last season were not the highest-ranked rookie RBs; Fournette, McCaffrey, Mixon and Cook were all rated higher than Hunt and Kamara.

Edited by Axe Elf

9 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

So there's some recent evidence that one or two rookie RBs might make the top 5.  But to pick a specific ONE (Barkley) and say, THIS one will, is a losing proposition.  1 in 15 gives you about a 6.7% chance of being right--and that's if TWO rookie RBs make the top 5.  If only one does, your chances of picking that one are only half that.

And yes, the same goes for vets.  We know that probly 4 of them will be in the top 5--but the trick is figuring out which 4.  Saying that 4 vets will be in the top 5 is almost a slam dunk; identifying them by name before the season starts is also a losing proposition.

The two that ended up in the top 5 last season were not the highest-ranked rookie RBs; Fournette, McCaffrey, Mixon and Cook were all rated higher than Hunt and Kamara.

Fournette finished 8th despite missing 2 games.  Why?  Because of his guaranteed workload, which Barkley also has.

• Like 1