cohenstantinople

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

Nice little snippet of why he’s regarded as the best RB prospect in recent memory 

1. Power

2. Speed

3. Agility 

4. Off the charts athleticism 

I think my favorite play is the last dump off where he essentially toys with the defender (who was also drafted) and blurs by him for the first 

you can watch the full game as all 300+ yards on YouTube as well 

(its worth it. The full skill set is on display)

Keep in mind this is a 230+ pound human doing these things. I’ve posted several of his “horrible games” too, still waiting for feedback regarding the BS “dancing” nitpick and/or losses that were his fault (they showed more of terrible OL play / no chance for any Rb to gain yards on several runs)

This is the kind of OL play he saw all season as the entire focal point of the offense. 

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SvanE42 said:

Couldn't disagree more.  This season, he has way more question marks at the QB position, a brand new offense/coaching staff that will not be the pass first offense that we were used to under Arians, and  the Cardinals are carrying one of the lowest win totals in the NFL.  This team may be bad.  

I won't say that all of these differences will necessarily create a negative impact on DJ, but to say that he is in the same exact position as last season is crazy.  A lot to think about when it comes to this Cardinals team.   

My thoughts. I still have DJ ranked top 6, but last of the big RB's....I'm just worried about that entire team, especially on offense.

I'm slowly moving him up the rankings.  I honestly don't think he carries any more risk than anyone else.  The volume will be there, he doesn't even have to be efficient (a la Leonard Fournette last year).  If he is efficient he dominates.

18 hours ago, dashoe said:

I'm making the bet he gets plenty of targets and touches in ppr to finish top 10 but I'm not optimistic about double digit TD's, unlike many I think you will see jstew vulture some goal line work and his solid pass protection is overlooked. I don't think you can go wrong taking Barkley # 4,5 or 6 off the board however  after bell-zeke it's really a slice and dice on outlooks of kamara-dj-barkley for me. I would even add I wouldnt blink if fournette was taken in the top 5 because I think he is going to have an amazing sophmore season particularly with their defense ability to pass defend and ivory gone.  The guy on the wrap around who grabs fournette may get the season winning equivalent of the guy who took Gurley in the 2nd last year. 

Fournette also got an upgrade in his Oline in Andrew Norwell. Honestly 1st round into the early 2nd is going to be some hard choices. But yes I totally agree with you. Barkley looks great. I wasnt as optimistic as before until i dug in deeper in research. But time will tell.

2 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

I'm slowly moving him up the rankings.  I honestly don't think he carries any more risk than anyone else.  The volume will be there, he doesn't even have to be efficient (a la Leonard Fournette last year).  If he is efficient he dominates.

This is the big draw with him IMO. His floor should be super high. 

10 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

now that is seems rotoworld has finally caught up to what I've been saying all summer ... 

here he is vs a defense that has 10/11 guys currently in the NFL 

Congratulations on saying Saquon Barkley, a generational RB coming out of College and being selected as the first RB off the board, is going to be good this season.

Ground breaking stuff there.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ponza88 said:

Congratulations on saying Saquon Barkley, a generational RB coming out of College and being selected as the first RB off the board, is going to be good this season.

Ground breaking stuff there.

yeah like Zeke was called a generational talent and Fournette one too and surprise surprise they became solid NFL players:o

Funny thing is I don't recall anyone in the forums stating that barkley would be a bad fantasy or real world player. The debate was about should the Giants have drafted him/rb with a #2 pick but you know some people feel the need to revise events to fit their own delusions :lol:

Edited by dashoe
  • Haha 1

Lucky for the Giants, the guy that ppl argue they should have drafted (Darnold) went to one of the worst possible situations in the league. It's hard for him to make the Giants look bad while playing in the black hole across town. 

10 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Lucky for the Giants, the guy that ppl argue they should have drafted (Darnold) went to one of the worst possible situations in the league. It's hard for him to make the Giants look bad while playing in the black hole across town. 

Darnold may not see the field this season until the jets are mathematically eliminated from all playoff contention.  i don't expect mcown and Bridgewater to roll over for the rookie to get on the field

I may be Barkley's biggest fan (same hometown, college, met him) and am all in on him, but man, repeatedly posting YouTube videos of him from college is making me want to stay away from this thread. 

@CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast we all know he was an animal in college. Let's stick to discussion more tailored towards his 2018 outlook. You're beating a dead horse so far into the ground, it's going to wind up in China.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, afl5013 said:

I may be Barkley's biggest fan (same hometown, college, met him) and am all in on him, but man, repeatedly posting YouTube videos of him from college is making me want to stay away from this thread. 

@CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast we all know he was an animal in college. Let's stick to discussion more tailored towards his 2018 outlook. You're beating a dead horse so far into the ground, it's going to wind up in China.  

Oh no, please don’t stay away from this thread. Most of the videos I posted were actual complete game cut-ups to counter the BS nitpick of him “dancing too much” or being “soft”. 

Also, some on here haven’t actually watched him play before. 

I’ve also posted several facts/metrics/projections as to why I think he succeeds in his 2018 outlook. Here’s a thought, don’t click the thread.

oops

Giants o-line and offensive will be better this year. Adding starting-caliber o-linemen and getting back that Beckham guy will do that to a team. Gettlemen thought enough of Barkley to not only take him 2nd overall, but mock data people in one of his post-draft interviews lol. To me, Saquon is a lock for 300 touches and I can't see plodding, 31 year old Jonathan Stewart really doing anything to Barkley's fantasy value. It's not even confirmed Stewart will be the back-up. Along with guys like Fournette and Kamara, Barkley is in discussion for me as the rb5 and a top-7 pick. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Sox Nation said:

I can't see plodding, 31 year old Jonathan Stewart really doing anything to Barkley's fantasy value. It's not even confirmed Stewart will be the back-up.

The concern over Jonathan Stewart is comical

51 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

The concern over Jonathan Stewart is comical

Jonathan Stewart = solid veteran presence /locker room guy who knows the offense 

That’s it 

I liked what I saw from Gallman last year - he’s the “cuff” if that’s the direction this is heading ...  especially in ppr 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:12 AM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

I really can't see not pouncing on this kid if he's there ... and if i get a higher slot in my third league than the 7 or 11 holes i drew thus far in the other two then it's gogogo time.  right now the only guy i crave more is Gurley ... Zeke/DJ are sensational proven commodities, but both of their offenses will be in a state of flux this year ... could be lean gigs for both.  if they stand for the whole 16 they will be very productive, no question, but the limitations of their supporting casts cannot be dismissed.  Bell would give me slight pause in passing, and that Stillers offense is certainly the most potent of any of the situations of the guys we're discussing here - but i just get an off vibe with Bell this year ... dunno, man ... ya got the Ben factor as well, that offense goes in the freakin' terlet when he's absent, that whole sitch with the contract ... meh ... just not loving it.  and i wanna love my first round pick.

Thank you for finally saying this about Bell!  I feel like I'm going crazy here because everyone is just "ho hum, LeVeon is safe, take him 1.01."  But nobody is seeing any of the signs I am.  I could easily see an off year here.  Especially if he doesn't get the easy bunny 1-2 yard rushing TD's that he hasn't gotten since his rookie year.     

1.  His number one goal this year is simply... Don't.  Get.  Hurt. 

2.  There's going to be drama around his number of touches all year.  He's not going to just let Pittsburgh DeMarco Murray him into the ground. 

3.  He has a new OC we know almost nothing about.  Does he get tons of targets again?   

4.  Last year he was inefficient.  Like Melvin Gordon level inefficient.  YPC, Football Outsiders, PFF, it's everywhere.  He made hay on pure volume. 

5.  Check out his game speed on airyards.com.  Nowhere is he even league average anymore.  He's straight up slow.  Or at least he was last year.  

Meanwhile Saquon is in his actual prime RB years with a front office and coaching staff bent on having him carry Eli as far as possible.  I think I'm taking Saquon right after Gurley, Zeke, DJ. 

(Sorry if this got too Bell heavy.  Mods feel free to move if so)

Edited by TC84
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Dances to much, alot of his losses were his fault. Had some pretty horrible games. Kinda soft imo.

02-troll-face.w710.h473.jpg

Obviously gonna be a bust... stay away everyone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Dances to much, alot of his losses were his fault. Had some pretty horrible games. Kinda soft imo.

02-troll-face.w710.h473.jpg

This isn't the Dalvin Cook thread...

Man, I had no intention of going after Saquon after I found out I have the 6th pick in my .5PPR, but this thread and the research here is really convincing me.

And I'm as risk averse as they come in the 1st round or 2.

2 minutes ago, bgar15 said:

Man, I had no intention of going after Saquon after I found out I have the 6th pick in my .5PPR, but this thread and the research here is really convincing me.

And I'm as risk averse as they come in the 1st round or 2.

If he’s there at 6 you should be dancing in the streets 

(after clicking “Draft Player”)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Mediocre run D to begin with ...  Marcel Dareus investigated for multiple sexual assaults too I believe? 

I’m sure the narrative on here will be more of a “sell high! defenses gonna watch film now” after he lights it up week 1 ... gonna be a good matchup 

2 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

If he’s there at 6 you should be dancing in the streets 

(after clicking “Draft Player”)

No way, not 6. If he's there at 10 you start considering it. There's to many proven players ahead of him. I know you got your little red rocket out for Saquon, but no way. 

• Haha 1