cohenstantinople

Saquon Barkley 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

@Joe Odam It is more appropriate to discuss here but you need to put some respect on this kids name if you don't think he is one of the most physically gifted players to play the running back position. Heck, he is probably one of the most physically gifted players to ever play in the NFL.

image.png.6a35334a4c4c27d9f729d18cabdafd15.png

Stronger than Joe Thomas

Quicker than DeSean Jackson

Faster than Devin Hester

Jumps higher than Julio Jones

He is a freak in the weight room too. He set a variety of records at Penn State including power cleaning 405lbs, benching the same amount and idk what his max squat is but he made 5 reps at 525lbs look like child's play. He also ran a hand timed 4.33 40yd dash. Dude is a physical beast, no way around it. I'm not the only one who feels this way either, multiple NFL-heads have called him one of the best RB prospects ever. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

@Joe Odam It is more appropriate to discuss here but you need to put some respect on this kids name if you don't think he is one of the most physically gifted players to play the running back position. Heck, he is probably one of the most physically gifted players to ever play in the NFL.

Stronger than Joe Thomas

Faster than Devin Hester

He is a freak in the weight room too. He set a variety of records at Penn State including power cleaning 405lbs, benching the same amount and idk what his max squat is but he made 5 reps at 525lbs look like child's play. He also ran a hand timed 4.33 40yd dash. Dude is a physical beast, no way around it. I'm not the only one who feels this way either, multiple NFL-heads have called him one of the best RB prospects ever. 

Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!

https://twitter.com/nypostsports/status/969893937614909440

Edited by WaiverLooter

2 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Stronger than Joe Thomas

Faster than Devin Hester

we can absolutely agree on the bolded. But, that's NOT  what you said  my friend. You're exact words were " the most physically gifted RB of all time". Completely different positions. Pick the statement that you mean more and we can go from there lol

3 minutes ago, 2014olympicgold said:

I'm thinking Melvin Gordon has to be considered on the same level as Barkley.

Barkley, Gurley, and Gordon are in the upper echelon of RB talent obviously but Barkley is just a freak of nature.

4 minutes ago, 2014olympicgold said:

I'm thinking Melvin Gordon has to be considered on the same level as Barkley.

magick foosball wise? sure, MGIII is up there ...

but, real life tackle foosball prowess?  no.  hell no.  

15 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

magick foosball wise? sure, MGIII is up there ...

but, real life tackle foosball prowess?  no.  hell no.  

How dare I mention fantasy football production right? Shame on me.

Of course real life Barkley is better. The team he's on is so bad and he's putting up the same level of production as Gordon.

On 11/19/2018 at 7:56 PM, Jaw1 said:

Stronger than Joe Thomas

Faster than Devin Hester

Bench Press

Saquon Barkley: 29 reps

Tommy Bohanon: 36 reps

20 Yd Shuttle

Saquon Barkley: 4.24 seconds

Ameer Abdullah: 3.95 seconds

40 Yd Dash

Saquon Barkley: 4.40 seconds

Darren McFadden: 4.33 seconds

Vertical Jump

Saquon Barkley: 41"

Christine Michael: 43"

Weaker than Tommy Bohanon

Less agile than Ameer Abdullah

Slower than Darren McFadden

Doesn't jump as high as Christine Michael

Interesting what results you get when you change the names up.  It's a good thing that weight room stats aren't the ultimate litmus test for good football players.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TTo34 said:

Bench Press

20 Yd Shuttle

40 Yd Dash

Vertical Jump

Interesting what results you get when you change the names up.  It's a good thing that weight room stats aren't the ultimate litmus test for good football players.

No they definitely aren't but Barkley has already proven to be a pretty darn good football player. The physical stats and comparing him to guys who actually play gives a better idea of how good he can be, obviously he didn't set combine records in any of these categories so there is a healthy list of guys ahead of him. All that in 1 body though is impressive and he has the football talent to go with it. 

On 11/19/2018 at 6:56 PM, Jaw1 said:

Stronger than Joe Thomas

Faster than Devin Hester

You are one of MANY who put way too much stock into a one time test. Hester was a ******** LIGHTING BOLT  and id bet on julio to win on a jump ball with barkley

15 hours ago, TTo34 said:

Bench Press

20 Yd Shuttle

40 Yd Dash

Vertical Jump

Please keep bumping this. people need to stop cherry picking stats

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

You are one of MANY who put way too much stock into a one time test. Hester was a ******** LIGHTING BOLT  and id bet on julio to win on a jump ball with barkley

I think when used correctly these tests are useful, using it to reinforce what you see on the football field. The dude looks fast, strong and athletic and the tests reinforce this. They can be deceptive and overvalued especially when the test numbers don't seem to translate to the field. I'm sure Jones' height and length advantage would make up for the lower vertical so yeah Jones would probably win a jump ball over him but that is far from a slight against Barkley. 

Just now, Jaw1 said:

I think when used correctly these tests are useful, using it to reinforce what you see on the football field. The dude looks fast, strong and athletic and the tests reinforce this. They can be deceptive and overvalued especially when the test numbers don't seem to translate to the field. I'm sure Jones' height and length advantage would make up for the lower vertical so yeah Jones would probably win a jump ball over him but that is far from a slight against Barkley. 

Yeah these tests are bunk. Its a one time thing that determines you forever? Is there ever a retest? 6 months would probably be good to keep up with accurate results.

Comparing Barkley to other positions is silly but this dude is absolutely legit. Fantasy owner and believer.

8 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Yeah these tests are bunk. Its a one time thing that determines you forever? Is there ever a retest? 6 months would probably be good to keep up with accurate results.

Comparing Barkley to other positions is silly but this dude is absolutely legit. Fantasy owner and believer.

It is far from perfect and if they redid it each season or something they'd be more accurate but got to try to work with what we have. They are taken at the start of a player's career so it gives somewhat of a glimpse of what he can potentially be down the line although obviously not everyone has same development curve. I think as players get older game tape is a much more accurate way to try to assess a guys physical ability but it is more qualitative (although with technological advancements numbers are able to be derived from game footage) and has its issues. 

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 1

Barkley is on pace for 102 receptions which would break the rookie reception record, not the rookie RB reception record. He is on pace to break, what amounts to a WR record and people are still able to find things wrong with him. Would it be awesome if he was a better pass protector, yeah but thankfully in fake football that isn’t a high scoring category so who cares. Sit back and enjoy a floor of 20 PPG.

Edited by Ddam2013
  • Thanks 2

I didn’t even take the time to read whoever is complaining about Barkley but it goes to show you how dumb some of rotoworld is lmao. This guy is a top three back in the league 10 games into his career and will be the best back in the league barring inury for the next 5-8 years.  Sit back, relax and enjoy a hall of fame career.  Glad he’s on my team 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ddam2013 said:

Barkley is on pace for 102 receptions which would break the rookie reception record, not the rookie RB reception record. He is on pace to break, what amounts to a WR record and people are still able to find things wrong with him. Would it be awesome if he was a better pass protector, yeah but thankfully in fake football that isn’t a high scoring category so who cares. Sit back and enjoy a floor of 20 PPG.

Keep in mind that a lot of that noise comes from jealous owners who don't own him but wish so much that they did. It's a coping mechanism. They have to try to trick themselves into believing that nonsense to somehow alleviate the agony of missing out on him in their drafts.

On 11/22/2018 at 7:36 AM, TTo34 said:

Bench Press

20 Yd Shuttle

40 Yd Dash

Vertical Jump

No. In another context you would have a point, but not this time. 

1 minute ago, mmurph20 said:

No. In another context you would have a point, but not this time. 

What point did you think I was trying to make?  Because I definitely did NOT suggest that Saquon is a bad football player.

let's just say that the kid will be having trips to the red zone on prolly every possession ... this could be epic

4 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

let's just say that the kid will be having trips to the red zone on prolly every possession ... this could be epic

Four TDs and about 200 total yards would be nice. Al Bundy-esque.

• Like 1

I just saw the play where he jumped over the Bucs tackler on the way to the end zone.  You know, the one where they had a hold of him and he still jumped over them and into the end zone?  This dude is incredible.  2nd overall next year or 1st?

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I just saw the play where he jumped over the Bucs tackler on the way to the end zone.  You know, the one where they had a hold of him and he still jumped over them and into the end zone?  This dude is incredible.  2nd overall next year or 1st?

The only thing holding him back is the giants offense. He literally has to create stuff on his own or it’d be a loss. Imagine if he was on the rams or chiefs or New Orleans. It would be over...

• Like 1