tootallball

Sony Michel 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Wait so what’s the deal with this guy? My worry is that with the pats, it will be a mystery when this guy is expected back, plus they could sign someone any day now. I would love to have the luxury of keeping this on my bench for 3-4 weeks, but I’m 3-4 and need wins Now! 

 

I just traded him & Baldwin for Chubb + J Howard. Good luck, he’s a stud for sure when back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jrt80 said:

Wait so what’s the deal with this guy? My worry is that with the pats, it will be a mystery when this guy is expected back, plus they could sign someone any day now. I would love to have the luxury of keeping this on my bench for 3-4 weeks, but I’m 3-4 and need wins Now! 

 

I just traded him & Baldwin for Chubb + J Howard. Good luck, he’s a stud for sure when back.

 

He'll probably play this week or the next. No structural damage so it's just a pain thing.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

 

He'll probably play this week or the next. No structural damage so it's just a pain thing.

 fournette & D.cook didn’t have any “structural damage” per se. I’m not comparing the two injuries, just saying leg injuries can be more complex than just “is it broken/torn?” “No. Okay get in there”. Idk maybe he’ll be fine but it’s definitely not a given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jrt80 said:

 fournette & D.cook didn’t have any “structural damage” per se. I’m not comparing the two injuries, just saying leg injuries can be more complex than just “is it broken/torn?” “No. Okay get in there”. Idk maybe he’ll be fine but it’s definitely not a given.

 

I’m pretty sure Fournette has some type of hamstring strain, which would be structural damage because muscles strains are actually just minor tears. Not sure though as they haven’t released much info.

 

Michel’s injury just seems like he got his leg twisted in a way that hurt really bad but didn’t do anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

 

I’m pretty sure Fournette has some type of hamstring strain, which would be structural damage because muscles strains are actually just minor tears. Not sure though as they haven’t released much info.

 

Michel’s injury just seems like he got his leg twisted in a way that hurt really bad but didn’t do anything.

Didn't do anything is plain wrong. Bone bruise or MCL sprain are really painful without structural damage. Also the whole knee is more prone to give in. There is no way the Pats risk him before their bye. Especially not with his history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

 

He'll probably play this week or the next. No structural damage so it's just a pain thing.

You may be right, but how many times do we see knee injuries linger for guys that are “week to week?”

 

Tough situation for Michel owners rn in my opinion. I bet we’ll see a lot of either Barner or someone new in the running game this week to see how long they can let Michel heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jrt80 said:

Wait so what’s the deal with this guy? My worry is that with the pats, it will be a mystery when this guy is expected back, plus they could sign someone any day now. I would love to have the luxury of keeping this on my bench for 3-4 weeks, but I’m 3-4 and need wins Now! 

 

I just traded him & Baldwin for Chubb + J Howard. Good luck, he’s a stud for sure when back.

You made a decision so no second thoughts. 

I also believe you made the right play trading him. 

 

 

2 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

The fact they haven't signed anyone yet has to be somewhat promising news. 

The fact the Patriots believe they are strong enough and they have to believe nobody is worthwhile to sign.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

The fact they haven't signed anyone yet has to be somewhat promising news. 

 

Just curious why they would sign anyone when they have James White? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, poofinger said:

 

Just curious why they would sign anyone when they have James White? 

In the past, the Pats have always like to have depth at the RB position if they go with the committee approach. They have White and Barner, that's it. They can probably get away with those two this week (assume they also sign someone off the practice squad for insurance). I think the fact they haven't signed someone yet is at least reason for cautious optimism that they may be planning to only be without Sony for 1-2 weeks. Again, this is all speculation. They could sign Gillislee today, and render all of this useless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, poofinger said:

 

Just curious why they would sign anyone when they have James White? 

Because they do not have a between the tackles bruising RB in white, but that is what Michel provided them. They will not run White up the middle 15-20 times a game, and they need someone to do that with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MMLSU said:

Because they do not have a between the tackles bruising RB in white, but that is what Michel provided them. They will not run White up the middle 15-20 times a game, and they need someone to do that with.

Do they? I've seen Pat's shallow at RB before and the Pats go with some crazy 50/10 pass run split before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sasnumberonefan said:

In the past, the Pats have always like to have depth at the RB position if they go with the committee approach. They have White and Barner, that's it. They can probably get away with those two this week (assume they also sign someone off the practice squad for insurance). I think the fact they haven't signed someone yet is at least reason for cautious optimism that they may be planning to only be without Sony for 1-2 weeks. Again, this is all speculation. They could sign Gillislee today, and render all of this useless.

+1.  The pats still have not added signed any more RB's to their roster after his injury.  That makes me optimistic Sony will be back in the short term.  Most important thing is he is healthy -- I've added more RB depth on my own team so I can stash him till he's ready to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, poofinger said:

 

TD dependent 

 

^^^^Plays in a TD-only league.

 

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

The fact the Patriots believe they are strong enough and they have to believe nobody is worthwhile to sign.  

 

5 hours ago, MMLSU said:

Because they do not have a between the tackles bruising RB in white, but that is what Michel provided them. They will not run White up the middle 15-20 times a game, and they need someone to do that with.

 

49 minutes ago, rocket said:

+1.  The pats still have not added signed any more RB's to their roster after his injury.  That makes me optimistic Sony will be back in the short term.  Most important thing is he is healthy -- I've added more RB depth on my own team so I can stash him till he's ready to go. 

 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cordarrelle Patterson get some totes at RB. He's 6'2", 228...maybe he gets some between-the-tackle opportunities. He's a pretty versatile guy, so maybe NE is thinking that they're better off going with White, Barner, and Patterson at RB than they are signing some guy off the street? 

 

Just a thought. I might be completely off-base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Do they? I've seen Pat's shallow at RB before and the Pats go with some crazy 50/10 pass run split before.

 

Yeah, but even earlier this year, Gronk was talking about how happy he was that Sony was restoring balance to the offense and making it easier for the passing game to get going.  Sony's breakout has been a large part of the Pat's winning streak.

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000970280/article/rob-gronkowski-sony-michel-helps-balance-patriots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rocket said:

 

Yeah, but even earlier this year, Gronk was talking about how happy he was that Sony was restoring balance to the offense and making it easier for the passing game to get going.  Sony's breakout has been a large part of the Pat's winning streak.

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000970280/article/rob-gronkowski-sony-michel-helps-balance-patriots

Didnt say it will be as efficient, but you do what you gotta do when you don't have a James Conner waiting to step in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say he plays Sunday night vs Green Bay. They’ll need his talent for that game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

I say he plays Sunday night vs Green Bay. They’ll need his talent for that game. 

 

I think they'll need his talent more come playoff time. This is a young guy that has already had knee surgery and with how bad the Pats division is (Dolphins just picked up another loss) I don't think it is worth it for the Patriots even if it costs them the game versus Green Bay. Even without Michel, this Packers D was getting carved up by the Niners last time we saw them and a lot of short slants, screen passes and dump offs can functionally play the same role as the running game for the Pats to control the time of possession. 

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I am no doctor obviously and there is no significant damage, could it be a bone bruise? I remember last year in August, Bryce Harper against my Giants suffered what looked like a devastating knee injury, and as it turned it was just a bone bruise(albeit a significant one). He missed a month and a half(obviously the Nationals had a playoff spot locked up). Could that be what Sony has?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ninersdd said:

FWIW, I am no doctor obviously and there is no significant damage, could it be a bone bruise? I remember last year in August, Bryce Harper against my Giants suffered what looked like a devastating knee injury, and as it turned it was just a bone bruise(albeit a significant one). He missed a month and a half(obviously the Nationals had a playoff spot locked up). Could that be what Sony has?

Reports are he could possibly return in a couple of weeks so I doubt it. It probably just looked worse than it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Reports are he could possibly return in a couple of weeks so I doubt it. It probably just looked worse than it was.

Agreed. I am sure his (over)reaction was mostly from fear-- having already experienced a few knee injuries in his past-- and that he may have just suffered another. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pats play the JetsX2, BillsX2, the Titans and the Dolphins this year.

 

Only difficult games are next week GB, Min Wk 13 and Pit Wk 15.  

 

I could see them resting this kid as long as they can if it won't affect their playoff seedings etc.  If they beat GB next week, there's no way they rush him back before the Week 11 bye to play the Titans in Week 10 and then after the bye its NYJ Min MIA Pit Buf NYJ.  

 

I predict we won't see Sony ( if this injury is only a 3-4 week timetable ) until the Min game and then he might be used  sparingly after that depending on how well Barner is doing and how Sony has looked in his return to form.   

Edited by Zak0221
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.