tootallball

Sony Michel 2018 Outlook

13 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Anybody looking to acquire Michel as a handcuff to Cordarrelle Patterson?

LOL.  Pats playing Patterson at RB shows that Michel should be back to action soon.  Also shows the importance of Michel, and why they need a real running game.  White, Barner, and Patterson didn't show anything in the running game.  White did show his receiving skills, but it was obvious the Pats needed a true RB in the backfield.

53 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Pretty sure Fournette has been on a bye all year. 

Ha, don't remind me...Who would have thought Sony Michel would have more value than Fournette at this point in the season?

It seems like all indications are that Michel will play this week. Any updates on how his knee is feeling and what his current limitations are? 

ESPN still has him projected at zero points... Which is odd, as usually they tend to project players that miss 1 week for their normal output early in the next week unless something is known. I think a portion of that is that since NE played on Monday, they don't have a practice today for him to make/miss/limited/etc.

I honestly think based on his limited Saturday practice that he's going to be a go this week, but worth monitoring as we get closer to Sunday.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lebowski54 said:

It seems like all indications are that Michel will play this week. Any updates on how his knee is feeling and what his current limitations are? 

I still see him as Doubtful...like many with bye week issues, I'm praying he'll play Sunday.

• Like 1

With Belichick who the heck knows. He will try anything he can to throw off The Packers and the game isn’t until Sunday Night. I don’t own Michel, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable starting him this week. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Lebowski54 said:

He participated in 1 Saturday walkthrough

There has been 0 indication he is going to suit up this week from anyone, wait to see if he practices in a limited fashion.

3 Limited practices Wed-Fri hes playing probably or very very close.

• Haha 1

Hopefully we know these next couple days. I don’t want to wait for a game time decision when the game is Sunday night. Too much anxiety 

16 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

He participated in 1 Saturday walkthrough

There has been 0 indication he is going to suit up this week from anyone, wait to see if he practices in a limited fashion.

3 Limited practices Wed-Fri hes playing probably or very very close.

There have been a ton of indications. They didn’t sign an RB despite the upcoming game against GB and the fact that their run attack is abysmal without him (whilst also being in a tight race with KC for home field advantage in the playoffs which could ultimately determine who goes to the SB). During his warm ups he seemed completely loose and uninhibited. Would be an indication he may be comfortable playing 8 days later if they were ok with letting him participate in the first place. And no s--- I can see what his practice participation is during the week. That defeats the purpose of me asking what the available info is RIGHT NOW. ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lebowski54 said:

During his warm ups he seemed completely loose and uninhibited.

Are you a Patriots reporter and was at the practice?  

Patriots not signing a RB was bc well they knew they would just use Patterson.  They probably would sign someone if Sony was out past their Bye week so that is a good indicator that the injury is not very serious,  but even somewhat minor injuries take several weeks to get game ready for a pounding.  

Not saying he is unlikely to play this week at all, just I havnt seen anything. 

9 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Are you a Patriots reporter and was at the practice?  

Patriots not signing a RB was bc well they knew they would just use Patterson.  They probably would sign someone if Sony was out past their Bye week so that is a good indicator that the injury is not very serious,  but even somewhat minor injuries take several weeks to get game ready for a pounding.  

Not saying he is unlikely to play this week at all, just I havnt seen anything. 

There was video of him from Saturday. And I find it hard to believe that Bilichick would risk a combo of Barner and Patterson in a game against GB where a loss could mean losing homefield in the playoffs. BB is going to do everything in his power to field the best team each week. The fact that he hasn’t made any move whatsoever to bring in a better RB would signify it’s more than likely Michel plays in this pivotal matchup. Also, there’s no structural damage. I’m seeking information that may clarify RIGHT NOW what his exact limitations are. It would appear that he’s just dealing with pain, but I’m curious as to how that will limit his performance. But there has been no recent info on what the severity of his pain is right now or even a concrete time table considering that they should have a much better idea now of where he’s at than even a few days ago. 

Edited by Lebowski54

1 minute ago, Lebowski54 said:

There was video of him from Saturday. And I find it hard to believe that Bilichick would risk a combo of Barner and Patterson in a game against GB where a loss could mean losing homefield in the playoffs. BB is going to do everything in his power to field the best team each week. The fact that he hasn’t made any move whatsoever to bring in a better RB would signify it’s more than likely Michel plays in this pivotal matchup. Also, there’s no structural damage. I’m seeking information that may clarify RIGHT NOW what his exact limitations are. It would appear that he’s just dealing with pain, but I’m curious as to how that will limit his performance. But there has been no recent info on what the severity of his pain is right now or even a concrete time table considering that they should have a much better idea now of where he’s at than even a few days ago. 

You seem to know more than anyone else so I would just go with your gut. 

I do know that if he’s able to hop around with his full body weight on his knee right know that it’s not TOO severe, but there’s no clarification to this point if it’s expected to subside enough within 8 days for him to make the necessary cuts. I’m leaning towards him playing, but I feel like there should be someone closer to his situation with some shred of inside info. 

Just now, Lebowski54 said:

I do know that if he’s able to hop around with his full body weight on his knee right know that it’s not TOO severe, but there’s no clarification to this point if it’s expected to subside enough within 8 days for him to make the necessary cuts. I’m leaning towards him playing, but I feel like there should be someone closer to his situation with some shred of inside info. 

Well he is a one cutter, which puts a substantial amount of force on ligaments. He is a violent one cutter. My guess is he is brought back slowly, then limit snap count, etc... Pats bring in versatile guys for a reason. Wouldn't even shock me if Devon McCourty takes shifts at RB. Obviously I am joking... But only sort of. :D

• Like 1

Just now, PizzaBeerFF said:

Well he is a one cutter, which puts a substantial amount of force on ligaments. He is a violent one cutter. My guess is he is brought back slowly, then limit snap count, etc... Pats bring in versatile guys for a reason. Wouldn't even shock me if Devon McCourty takes shifts at RB. Obviously I am joking... But only sort of. :D

That’s a reasonable take. However I do know that with this type of injury that 8 days can make a huge difference and once they get him warmed up and his adrenaline going that it may not prove to be too much of a hindrance. Him being limited to 8-10 touches is a definite possibility. Guess we’ll just have to wait to find out more as the week progresses 

I dont see them bringing Sony back into a game for only 8-10 touches.  That would be a waste of him and doesnt seem like the Patriots MO

If hes back and active they will plan on  using him normally

Pats are 6-2. I am not sure Green Bays d can keep pats off board. My guess is Michel gets rest and other fill in until he's comfy. Pats have playoffs to think of. The build for the offs. Less Gronk, less Michel, more of expendables. 

3 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Pats are 6-2. I am not sure Green Bays d can keep pats off board. My guess is Michel gets rest and other fill in until he's comfy. Pats have playoffs to think of. The build for the offs. Less Gronk, less Michel, more of expendables. 

The Chiefs are 7-1. I suspect Belichick would rather play them at Gillette instead of Arrowhead in said playoffs. If Sony's ready to play, he'll play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

They may as well already be in the playoffs because every game counts right now. Clinching homefield is a PROFOUND advantage in the playoffs. They don’t want to play KC in Arrowhead. And as far as the notion of him being limited goes, it’ll largely depend on game flow. I could see them not wanting to run him into the ground if they can get away with doing so. Would seem to be common sense. But obviously anything that gives them the best chance to win will be their likely route, especially since he’s not at risk of long term aggravation considering the nature of his injury. 

Given that Sony's injury isn't severe is he worth trading for? I was offered him from a nervous owner for Drake + Fournette.

I love his usage but since I haven't been following much I'll rely on this thread's posters. 

27 minutes ago, Lebowski54 said:

They may as well already be in the playoffs because every game counts right now. Clinching homefield is a PROFOUND advantage in the playoffs. They don’t want to play KC in Arrowhead. And as far as the notion of him being limited goes, it’ll largely depend on game flow. I could see them not wanting to run him into the ground if they can get away with doing so. Would seem to be common sense. But obviously anything that gives them the best chance to win will be their likely route, especially since he’s not at risk of long term aggravation considering the nature of his injury. 

One thing more important to the Pats than Home Field is being 100% healthy. 

44 minutes ago, Kaytwo said:

The Chiefs are 7-1. I suspect Belichick would rather play them at Gillette instead of Arrowhead in said playoffs. If Sony's ready to play, he'll play.

Pats have tie breaker. If KC wins out.. fine. But looking at the remaining schedules i feel like Pats will outperform KC. KC has a bit of a bad sched for secondaries... you look at both schedules left?

2 minutes ago, cordovahi said:

IMO it seems pretty straightforward and aligned with every other report out there. Michel is week to week. They have confidence he will be back soon enough that giving up an asset wasn't worth a short-term solution at RB.