tootallball

Sony Michel 2018 Outlook

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4815964/benefit-of-rex-burkheads-return-a-fresher-james-white

"

Specific to Burkhead, he has the versatility to be everything from a short-yardage rusher to a third-down back.

His return to action had a direct trickle-down effect on the usage of White and Michel. Burkhead played 17 snaps, while White was on for 33 and Michel 30.

White’s 33 tied for his second fewest of the season, as he had been asked to carry more of the load with Burkhead and Michel missing time, as well as Jeremy Hill being lost with a torn ACL in the season opener.

So one of the residual effects of Burkhead’s return is that it could lead to a fresher White."

13 minutes ago, affliction said:

Michel got 17 carries but I'm worried Burk will cut into that in his second game back 

I'm debating Michel and Samuels back and forth in a PPR league.

All the "experts" seem to have Michel high this week but i'm just not finding myself comfortable with him.  I mean, he basically only plays about 40% of the snaps at best all season long and it's basically a 3 way committee now.  It's a good matchup and all but Sony is probably going to need a TD to have a solid game.

I look at a guy like Samuels....He could easily have a solid game without a TD.  If he put up 5-6 catches for 50 yards with 8-10 carries for another 40-50 yards....That's a pretty good game.  

The matchup is good for Sony as the Pats should control the game against the Dolphins which should get Sony his 15-20 carries.  But I've been burned so many times over the years on Patriot RB's that it just doesn't feel great trusting one.  And Sony's lack of involvement in the passing game doesn't help his floor in PPR leagues.

• Like 1

I don’t get the hesitation with him this week. I’m starting confidently. This has Sony Michel game written all over it.

20 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

All the "experts" seem to have Michel high this week but i'm just not finding myself comfortable with him.  I mean, he basically only plays about 40% of the snaps at best all season long and it's basically a 3 way committee now.  It's a good matchup and all but Sony is probably going to need a TD to have a solid game.

I look at a guy like Samuels....He could easily have a solid game without a TD.  If he put up 5-6 catches for 50 yards with 8-10 carries for another 40-50 yards....That's a pretty good game.  

The matchup is good for Sony as the Pats should control the game against the Dolphins which should get Sony his 15-20 carries.  But I've been burned so many times over the years on Patriot RB's that it just doesn't feel great trusting one.  And Sony's lack of involvement in the passing game doesn't help his floor in PPR leagues.

It was a lot easier to figure this out when the Pats were a two man committee.  There's always the fear of Sony getting vultured at the goal line, but keep in mind the Pats rely heavily on running when they are near the goal line.  I got Samuels too and am playing him at TE, so I'm getting both Michel and Samuels in there.

1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

Im in the same scenario.  Same thinking too.  My fear is Sony doesn’t get a TD chance and doesn’t get catches.  Maybe he gets 80 on the ground but Samuels should easily eclipse that in PPR

6 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

Im in the same scenario.  Same thinking too.  My fear is Sony doesn’t get a TD chance and doesn’t get catches.  Maybe he gets 80 on the ground but Samuels should easily eclipse that in PPR

Not to get too AC in here but I'm also deciding between Michel and Samuels in PPR. Going with Samuels.

Does this feel like a Sony michel game? It feels like too much of a committee with Rex coming back.. I am not sure if he will get the opportunity to get a TD today  

With White/Burkhead/Sony all active and BB going with a FB and even QB sneaks at the goal line when Burkhead was inactive - I am severely questioning Sony

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

With White/Burkhead/Sony all active and BB going with a FB and even QB sneaks at the goal line when Burkhead was inactive - I am severely questioning Sony

I’m not.  Volume is king, he will get touches

Yahoo projects the following:

White: 16.62

Sony: 14.95

Burkhead: 7.56

I know it’s Yahoo projections, but thats nearly 40 points to go around.  I can easily see Sony and White’s points going to Rex

Why do people think Rex is going to come in and take over?  This is Michel's backfield.  Rex will only provide a breather for Michel.  Burkhead isn't a better runner than Michel nor is he a better catcher than White.  There's no reason to view him as a threat.  

3 minutes ago, cizastro said:

Why do people think Rex is going to come in and take over?  This is Michel's backfield.  Rex will only provide a breather for Michel.  Burkhead isn't a better runner than Michel nor is he a better catcher than White.  There's no reason to view him as a threat.  

12 minutes ago, cizastro said:

I don't think the concern is Rex taking over. But this is now a four man backfield, and the only way I can see Sony having a productive fantasy day is if he gets a TD, which is not as likely any more with him splitting touches with three other backs.

15mph winds during the game have me thinking they’re gonna run the ball a lot. Actually feeling pretty good about Michel now cause there should be plenty of volume for everyone.

11 minutes ago, drisser said:

I don't think the concern is Rex taking over. But this is now a four man backfield, and the only way I can see Sony having a productive fantasy day is if he gets a TD, which is not as likely any more with him splitting touches with three other backs.

Is this the consensus?  I can totally see this..or him getting most of the carries and beasting

28 minutes ago, drisser said:

Ya, it's rough because F-khead and White will get the pass catching reps - especially on 3rd down.   F-khead will also get some snaps running the ball.  Then you have Deviled Eggs vulturing at the goal line.

You'd need a herculean effort by Michel in yardage.

2 minutes ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

Truly truly hate belicheck

Don't think you can really blame Belicheck. The play calling has never been the greatest but with 20 carries Michel should be able to do more than 57 yards. Additionally, Michel simply hasn't been very good in converting near the GL and Develin hasn't really disappointed when his number has been called so doesn't make sense for Belicheck to really go away from him. Michel's stock takes a big hit though without being the clear GL back but with the number of carries he gets in a good offense I think he is still very much in the RB2 conversation.