Rotoworld.com Forums

Sony Michel 2018 Outlook

tootallball

12 hours ago, TomisTerrific said:

Belichick won't think twice about benching a rookie for fumbling. James White will take over with Burkhead at the goal line with a dash of Mike Gillislee. 

He won't be playing much if he fumbles.  Glad the pats drafted him so I can ignore him in FF. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Pats will keep 6 running backs. 

Michel

Burkhead

Hill

White

Develin 

Boldin 

I think Gillislee won’t make it. 

This is a high number of rostered RB for them historically but I expect Burkhead is going to play more WR/hybrid than RB while Edelman is out. 

I dont expect Michel to get more than 30-35% of the snaps but will be monitoring training camp closely. Right now I think both he and Burkhead are overdrafts. 

Sony Michel - RB - Patriots

Sony Michel will undergo a procedure on his knee after injuring it in Wednesday's training camp practice.

Per The Athletic's Jeff Howe, the surgery will cost Michel all of preseason and may even sideline Michel into the regular season. 

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Terrible news. I'll have to redo my league mocks now where I previously had him being over drafted. Probably means the guys I like won't be slipping to me anymore. 

Get well soon Sony so you can be over drafted again 

Agree.  I'm not interested in him at all but loved seeing somebody overspend (at least in my opinion) and thus it would take up a draft spot for somebody.

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Helps his ADP if you can get him as your RB3 in the 6th. Was hoping to get Rex nice and cheap but oh well. 

Before the news hit Rotoworld, Burkhead was already being drafted before Sony at CBS.  It just goes to show you need to know your league (Yahoo, ESPN, CBS) just as much as you need to know ADP.

I suspect CBS’s ranking wasn’t about the injury but because Sony has been struggling.

I’ve always wanted Burkhead and not Sony relative to their ADP.  This injury is going to result in Burkhead climbing to the 5th round... that’s a lot less value than previously.  I might consider Sony in the 9 round, but don’t expect him available then.

I’ll probably not get any part of NE’s backfield now...

The Titans backfield is looking like the better value.  I also noticed at CBS that Penny is undervalued.

Yeah, I had been targeting Michel in the Round 5-6 range. This sounds like a significant setback, likely delaying Sony's impact until perhaps midseason or later. This moves Rex up.

Why do we owners continue gambling with NE running backs? I rode Dion Lewis to glory last year, but usually this is just an exercise in futility lol. Need to leave these backs alone in drafts...

13 minutes ago, Andrew Luck's Neck Beard said:

Yeah, I had been targeting Michel in the Round 5-6 range. This sounds like a significant setback, likely delaying Sony's impact until perhaps midseason or later. This moves Rex up.

Why do we owners continue gambling with NE running backs? I rode Dion Lewis to glory last year, but usually this is just an exercise in futility lol. Need to leave these backs alone in drafts...

We "gamble" with NE backs because its one of the best situations in all of football.

2 minutes ago, Evincar said:

We "gamble" with NE backs because its one of the best situations in all of football.

50% of the time NE is a RBBC so I’m not so sure about that.

This year, NE drafting Sony early created unrealistic expectations which made Burkhead a value pick.  That’s no longer the case, so we’re moving on to better values.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, mattman444 said:

Is Michel a bit of a value pick now with him falling in the rankings?

It is if you don't need him if he can't play for the first number of weeks.  The other RBs may run away with the job which is already an RBBC.

I don't like the situation.  I'm looking at drafting Burkhead now.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Sony Michel 2018 Outlook

Yup, I got him for $4 in an auction last night.

You have to think that his knees are going to cause him to miss a significant portion of the regular season to fade him this hard.  I understand he's missed time and it will take more time to get back into a weekly role.  But they spent a 1st round pick on this kid and he's far and away the best RB on this team.  For the price and the upside he's impossible to ignore anymore.

i think i'm aiming for James White in a few of my drafts. The catches will always be there and he should get more now that Lewis is gone. I'd rather have the 3rd down / receiving back you know will get his 8-10 touches per game than try to guess who gets the rushes. I'd think White is a pretty solid flex play most weeks.

6 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Yup, I got him for $4 in an auction last night.

You have to think that his knees are going to cause him to miss a significant portion of the regular season to fade him this hard.  I understand he's missed time and it will take more time to get back into a weekly role.  But they spent a 1st round pick on this kid and he's far and away the best RB on this team.  For the price and the upside he's impossible to ignore anymore.

He went for $9 in my auction and I still feel like that was a steal. 

Obviously he's not going to help anyone Week 1 but he's could easily be the kind player by the end of the season who will have won a lot people championships. 

I used 6th and 10th round draft capital to pair Burkhead and Michel together. This backfield is so undervalued it's not even funny IF you end up with the main man. I see that being Burkhead in the 1st half of the season and Michel in the 2nd half. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

I used 6th and 10th round draft capital to pair Burkhead and Michel together. This backfield is so undervalued it's not even funny IF you end up with the main man. I see that being Burkhead in the 1st half of the season and Michel in the 2nd half. 

I paired Michel+Hill late in my draft last night as well. I think if anything happens to Burkhead which is likely given his injury issues and never being a heavily used guy, I'll have the stranglehold on the NE backfield minus White catching passes. 

I don't know what it is, just have a feeling that too many people are sleeping on this guy and he's going to have a special year for the Pats. They've turned trash heap talent in to RB1s nearly every year--look at the seasons Blount and Lewis played that weren't in New England. Sony Michel is likely the most talented back they've had in years and as productive as the guys around him have been it seems like anyone can get it done in this offense. Hell, Jonas Gray had a 4 td game for the Pats just a few years ago only to never really play again. 

They didn't draft this guy with their first pick so he could watch Rex Burkhead and Jeremy Hill dominate snaps. The knee injury got cleaned up (as opposed to him trying to manage it all year) which makes me feel good about his season long prospects--and great about his depressed value now while the preseason hype players go ahead of him. We might need to be patient here to wait for Michel to get going but not unrealistic at all to think he's a top 15/20 back by the second half of the season. Upside on this guy feels huge and the price is right. Hes the exact kind of pick you'll be sitting there in week 8 and wondering, how did I pass up the first round running back on the Pats? 80% of first round picks put up RB1 numbers their rookie year, and they usually don't play with Brady. Don't sleep on Sony!

Archived