vikingapocalypse

Nick Chubb 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

7 minutes ago, munde53 said:

From Pro Football Focus:

Chubb now leads all NFL running backs with 150-plus offensive snaps in overall grade (90.5) and rushing grade (91.5). He also leads the 53 backs with 50-plus carries this season in forced missed tackles per touch (0.27) and yards after contact per carry (5.3) – the latter metric standing 43.2 percent above the two backs (Austin Ekeler & Royce Freeman) tied for second on the list.

Looking at just the four games he’s been the Browns’ feature back (Weeks 7-10), Chubb ranks first in forced missed tackles (17), yards after contact per carry (4.2) and rushing first downs (21).

Nick Chubb totaled 155 yards after contact on Sunday. That’s more than any other running back totaled on the ground in general (not just after contact). This wasn’t just a one-week thing, either. For the season, he averages 5.3 yards after contact per attempt, which is 36% better than the next-closest running back. He also led all running backs this week in missed tackles forced on the ground (seven) and leads all running backs this season in missed tackles forced per attempt (27%). He currently sports an elusive rating of 137.2, which would be good for a new PFF-era record.

As Uncle Jesse used to say, "Have Merrcyy"

• Haha 1

Offense looks rejuvenated and defense is playing well enough to keep the games close for game script to not be an issue. All aboard!!!

I traded away Chubb in a keeper.. and it ook a huge boatload for me to do so.....this dude is legit....sky is the limit....sad to trade him but had to do it to try for championship.

14 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

I traded away Chubb in a keeper.. and it ook a huge boatload for me to do so.....this dude is legit....sky is the limit....sad to trade him but had to do it to try for championship.

Maybe you can get him back at some point in the future. Business is business. 

10 hours ago, Shortnphat said:

Old news 

You must of got slapped up by him last week or missed out on the opportunity of getting him. Trust me I understand man. I feel your pain. I've been in that position before. It will get better as weeks go by. Try not to focus on it.

1 hour ago, jclee4 said:

You must of got slapped up by him last week or missed out on the opportunity of getting him. Trust me I understand man. I feel your pain. I've been in that position before. It will get better as weeks go by. Try not to focus on it.

Playing the role of diffuser here, I think he's just referring to the fact that the video had already been posted in this thread.

59 minutes ago, MoonBlaster said:

Playing the role of diffuser here, I think he's just referring to the fact that the video had already been posted in this thread.

When was the video posted? That video has chubbs big run against the falcons this past Sunday. That's the first time it's been posted. I've been on all the latest pages of this thread. Unless someone in here is from the future. That hasn't been posted yet. I appreciated that video. It's new. You guys clearly didn't watch it. It's not "Old news". It's "New" news lolol.

Edited by jclee4
  • Thanks 1

Top 10 from Week 10 by Matt Waldman

5. Nick Chubb And the Dirty Little Secret of Broadcast Color Commentary

Moving onto the Browns’ most talented rookie (I didn’t stutter…), Nick Chubb compiled 209 total yards and 2 scores against Atlanta’s banged-up unit and authored the longest run in Cleveland’s rich franchise history of backs.

Nick Chubb’s 92-yard TD dissected # Browns pic.twitter.com/mw8PYo4v1I

— Matt Waldman (@MattWaldman) November 12, 2018

Since Chubb became the Browns’ starter in Week 7, he’s earned 454 total yards and 4 touchdowns – No.5 among running backs in fantasy production with Kareem Hunt, Todd Gurley, Christian McCaffery, and Alvin Kamara ahead of him. Each of these runners have superior offensive line play, a more seasoned (and arguably, more talented) quarterback, stable and superior coaching, and at least two receivers and or tight ends who would be an upgrade in Cleveland.

Chubb’s rushing output is tops among fantasy backs during this span – ahead of former Georgia teammate Gurley by 41 yards. Even if you did the misguided thing and took away his 92-yard run from his totals, Chubb would still be fourth on the list.

Despite the Browns’ struggles that include offensive coaching power struggles, inconsistent tackle play, and an unrefined passing game, Chubb has displayed patience, creativity, contact balance, and acceleration that rivals any back in the league.

Nick Chubb Checker Cab leaves Takk McKinley at the curb... #Brownspic.twitter.com/BtLyML7r5Y

Watch how Nick Chubb’s press manipulates the DL on this four-yard gain #Brownspic.twitter.com/lEjLtqM54R

Chubb isn’t known as a receiver but he has 6 receptions for 48 yards and a touchdown during the past three weeks and he’s done a good job catching the football.

Good Nick Chubb catch of an awkwardly placed target by Bakef Mayfield #Brownspic.twitter.com/vqyO7dfBIU

Here’s the fact that everyone wants to keep as a dirty little secret: Chubb can catch and he always could catch. The idea that Chubb isn’t a receiver is the perpetuation of media scouting reports that broadcast commentators use to prepare for games. Ronde Barber watched Chubb catch two passes in this game and still later said Chubb wasn't a capable receiver as if he had just read someone else's scouting poinrts:

Good play design against the right coverage for Mayfield-to-Chubb TD + the dirty secret about color commentary perpetuating incomplete scouting reports on air. pic.twitter.com/NYAqHimMmx

Chubb is not likely the next Saquon Barkley or Marshall Falk in a receiving game, but he’s a skilled runner of screens, swing routes, and angle routes against linebackers. Mayfield targeted Chubb a few weeks ago on a wheel route that would have resulted in a long play if the quarterback didn’t severely underthrow the pass.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jclee4 said:

When was the video posted? That video has chubbs big run against the falcons this past Sunday. That's the first time it's been posted. I've been on all the latest pages of this thread. Unless someone in here is from the future. That hasn't been posted yet. I appreciated that video. It's new. You guys clearly didn't watch it. It's not "Old news". It's "New" news lolol.

Well his " NFL Highlights" video was posted here on Sunday night (page 48 for me) which I suppose is different as it doesn't contain every single carry but rather just the relevant ones including the 92 yarder.

15 minutes ago, jclee4 said:

I also posted a highlight video of this past game on the last page but this video has every single run and/or target and not just the “highlights”. 

Edited by itschief33
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoonBlaster said:

Well his " NFL Highlights" video was posted here on Sunday night (page 48 for me) which I suppose is different as it doesn't contain every single carry but rather just the relevant ones including the 92 yarder.

It's all good man. Was just defending Itschiefs33 post because it was a good post. I know I appreciated that video. That's all. No hostility. Back to our regularly scheduled Chubby Chub program lol.

Is he more of a top 10 RB1 going forward or a high end RB2 in the 12-15 range? 

I still have the likes of Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, CMC, Barkley, Elliot, DJ, Mixon, and Conner ahead of him, but he's probably up there with the likes of Fournette, Jones, Michel, Cook, Coleman, and Mack as the next in line.

Edited by TheFire

2 minutes ago, TheFire said:

I still have the likes of Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, CMC, Barkley, Elliot, DJ, Mixon, and Conner ahead of him, but he's probably up there with the likes of Fournette, Jones, Michel, Cook, Coleman, and Mack as the next in line.

Who is the centerpiece of the offense? That’s how I judge worth. He’s not the centerpiece. Just one of the best cogs. Fournette above him. The others are all equal to him in my mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheFire said:

Jones, Michel, Cook, Coleman will not have the workload he's getting. Fournette and Mack have the pre-existing injury risk. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheFire said:

If the Bengals don't fix their D, Chubb > Mixon ROS. I'm also not convinced by Dallas and therefore Zeke's outlook, but that might be personal bias :) Add DJ and Barkley to that list, all of whom Chubb has outscore by avg pts the last 4 weeks. 

Edited by Brotherbock
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 4:01 AM, petekrum said:

He's nowhere near the best RB in the class

Getting closer...

5 hours ago, martinjlm said:

Who is the centerpiece of the offense? That’s how I judge worth. He’s not the centerpiece. Just one of the best cogs. Fournette above him. The others are all equal to him in my mind. 

Chubb is averaging over 22 touches a game, if that's not the "centerpiece" I don't know what is:rolleyes:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, martinjlm said:

Since week 7 (when he became the starter), Chubb has has averaged 21 touches per game while Baker has averaged 33 passes.

Since week 7, Zeke has averaged 21 touches per game while Dak has averaged 34 passes.

Since week 7, Gurley has averaged 22 touches per game while Goff has averaged 34.5 passes.

So are Zeke and Gurley not the centerpieces of their respective offenses?

It's still crazy to me how undervalued Chubb is and how people still do not realize that he has the same (if not greater) talent as the running backs who have been drafted in the top 10 of recent NFL drafts. 

If you honestly believe Chubb is not the centerpiece of this offense then your bias is showing through.

• Like 4

Fournette above him, LOL.  Let's see if that guy survives the month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I turned down a Julio for Chubb/Diggs package because I have that much faith in this kid. Top 7 to 10 RB realistic for ROS??

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jasonresno said:

So I turned down a Julio for Chubb/Diggs package because I have that much faith in this kid. Top 7 to 10 RB realistic for ROS??

Tough to crack Gurley, Kamara, Gordon, Conner, Zeke, Barkley, Hunt and possibly DJ with the new OC. Might also throw McCaffrey in there too. But after that, anything's possible