dashoe

Lamar Jackson 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

What's your handicap?

I'm amazing.  Greatest golfer ever. I do no worse than a birdie, and hit 5 hole in ones on a course.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/golf/2011/12/19/kim_jongil_once_carded_38under_par_at_pyongyang_golf_course.html

In fact, I've only golfed twice in my life.  My friend is a very good golfer (at least to me), and he did play in college.  I believe he said his handicap was 3.

My reply was satire with the 40 time.  With Jackson claiming to run the fastest QB time ever, yet not running, I figured I might as well make outlandish claims that don't have to be verified.  Joshua claiming he is even faster than Vick is even more awkward considering the guy who ran faster than Jackson in practice ran slower at the combine (but still very fast).  Jackson is apparently going to run faster than his teammate, nearly everyone in the combine, and Vick at his pro day.  Not to mention, Jackson claims to be able to do that with turf toe.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, zorndogs said:

That goes a long way in Batlimore though, it's a craphole with no other sports accomplishments and Flacco will always be a legend of the city. If he stays healthy and clicks with the new recievers and goes at least 9-7, I think the locals would push to keep him and the owner has his ear to the ground of the local community.

So what? Ok let's keep starting this bum bc he was good for a few weeks 6 years ago? Horrible logic. 

On 5/1/2018 at 8:34 AM, Sternes said:

Dude you are all over the place.  He is supposedly the best QB prospect since Vick, yet on the first page you are talking he won't run because teams would turn him into a QB.  Then you say he is faster than Vick, but he never ran.  I give you all sorts of evidence and you just shrug it off.

I mean, if we are going to make outlandish claims that don't have to be verified, did you know I ran the 40 in 3.99?  My passion was golf though, so I decided against playing at the next level.

Jackson is faster than him?   I've love to see some tape that reflects that.  Remember, Vick was faster than Best.

Best could FLY...

On 5/1/2018 at 9:40 AM, Sternes said:

I'm amazing.  Greatest golfer ever. I do no worse than a birdie, and hit 5 hole in ones on a course.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/golf/2011/12/19/kim_jongil_once_carded_38under_par_at_pyongyang_golf_course.html

In fact, I've only golfed twice in my life.  My friend is a very good golfer (at least to me), and he did play in college.  I believe he said his handicap was 3.

My reply was satire with the 40 time.  With Jackson claiming to run the fastest QB time ever, yet not running, I figured I might as well make outlandish claims that don't have to be verified.  Joshua claiming he is even faster than Vick is even more awkward considering the guy who ran faster than Jackson in practice ran slower at the combine (but still very fast).  Jackson is apparently going to run faster than his teammate, nearly everyone in the combine, and Vick at his pro day.  Not to mention, Jackson claims to be able to do that with turf toe.

Show us video of your golf tournaments and we can judge for ourselves...like how Jackson has for the past 4 seasons. 

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Show us video of your golf tournaments and we can judge for ourselves...like how Jackson has for the past 4 seasons. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 11:42 AM, owenmills said:

I might grab him as a stash in my 2QB league because of his sheer fantasy upside if/when he plays but I have a hard time imagining him being successful longterm at QB in the NFL. Seems like these QBs who thrive in college offenses mainly because of their athleticism don't last too long in the NFL, where everyone is a stud athlete. He has a huge arm and I'm rooting for him though because he'd no doubt be really exciting to watch. 

I will say I would rather have Jackson at pick 32 than Allen at pick 7 though.

What college offense was he in again? 

8 minutes ago, AJJones said:

Maybe it would be better to say against college competition and not a college offense.

Most of his runs were designed. He is more Marcus Mariota than Michael Vick. I hate the comparison actually.

6 minutes ago, AJJones said:

Most of his runs were designed. He is more Marcus Mariota than Michael Vick. I hate the comparison actually.

There won't be many designed runs in the NFL. Those only happen because it is college football against college competition. His mechanics are still very raw. He is raw as a passer. It will take a couple years to develop those tools, if he ever does develop them.

His mechanics are raw, but he is not unsophisticated as a passer. He goes through his progressions, understands passing concepts, and throws with anticipation better than a lot of the people he is being compared to. Vick still cannot pick up a blitz, TODAY.

It is impossible for me to say this without factoring in hindsight, but he is a better QB than RG3 was coming out of college.

Edited by AJJones

He's gonna win that starting job. When they see his skillset next to Joe Flacco's their heads will explode.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2018/05/05/translating-what-teams-really-said-with-their-draft-picks/gGmTzilRT6Z7dhc4zzWDzK/story.html?p1=Team_LeadArticle

One league source predicted that Ozzie Newsome’s departure from Baltimore after this season is going to have a bad effect on the relationship between Lamar Jackson and Ravens coach John Harbaugh. Harbaugh can be intense to play for, and “Ozzie is the buffer there. There’s going to be some friction,” the source said 

Barring the Ravens inexplicably winning a bunch of games early, he’ll be the starter at some point this year. He’s a better actual QB than either RG3 or Vick were coming out of college.

1 hour ago, petekrum said:

Barring the Ravens inexplicably winning a bunch of games early, he’ll be the starter at some point this year. He’s a better actual QB than either RG3 or Vick were coming out of college.

:huh:

20 minutes ago, AJJones said:

He is.

I think people are forgetting how good RG3 was in college, because of what happened to him once he got to the NFL. 

He was a good college quarterback, but he never really displayed NFL passing traits (except for his deep ball). He was the definition of a system QB that played with a handful of NFL WR's.

His senior year was amazing regardless, and he deserved all the accolades he received. He also had face of the franchise potential or at least we thought.

Edited by AJJones

On 5/7/2018 at 1:55 PM, Sternes said:

I think people are forgetting how good RG3 was in college, because of what happened to him once he got to the NFL. 

Once he got into the NFL, RG3 threw for 3200 yards, 20 TDs / 5 INTs, not bad for a rookie, and when you add 826 yards rushing + 7 rushing TDs—and one game over 100 yards rushing—it turns your 12th round fantasy rookie QB in your Super Bowl winning fantasy QB. Easy to remember his NFL stardom and the peak of his athleticism. What happened next, better to forget.

37 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Once he got into the NFL, RG3 threw for 3200 yards, 20 TDs / 5 INTs, not bad for a rookie, and when you add 826 yards rushing + 7 rushing TDs—and one game over 100 yards rushing—it turns your 12th round fantasy rookie QB in your Super Bowl winning fantasy QB. Easy to remember his NFL stardom and the peak of his athleticism. What happened next, better to forget.

I remember watching him limp around at the end of his rookie year and thinking they needed to take him out. Then they trotted  limped him back out for the playoffs and let him be sacrificed.  Then they rushed him back for the start of the next season for no good reason, which, with him being a mobile QB was incredibly more risky than a pocket passer.  They let him "rest" the last 3 games of the year, and then he gets wrecked the beginning of the next season.  After that it all just unraveled.

7 minutes ago, Sternes said:

I remember watching him limp around at the end of his rookie year and thinking they needed to take him out. Then they trotted  limped him back out for the playoffs and let him be sacrificed.  Then they rushed him back for the start of the next season for no good reason, which, with him being a mobile QB was incredibly more risky than a pocket passer.  They let him "rest" the last 3 games of the year, and then he gets wrecked the beginning of the next season.  After that it all just unraveled.

I was trying to forget.

We've seen teams abuse players regarding concussions, throwing them back into the game when they should have sat. A foolish mistake but easy to hide because the player doesn’t necessarily feel pain. RGIII’s situation is like that, but with a torn ACL + LCL + meniscus. Insane pain. Might’ve saved his career had the team taken better care.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, AJJones said:

Huh?

2 minutes ago, AJJones said:

He ran an NFL scheme in college.

Which is nice to talk about, but what does it actually matter?

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, cohenstantinople said:

I was trying to forget.

We've seen teams abuse players regarding concussions, throwing them back into the game when they should have sat. A foolish mistake but easy to hide because the player doesn’t necessarily feel pain. RGIII’s situation is like that, but with a torn ACL + LCL + meniscus. Insane pain. Might’ve saved his career had the team taken better care.

I wish he had hung up the cleats after those first few years, and gone back to running the long hurdles. His slender frame was built more for the track than the beatings it took on the football field. His name alone would have garnered/brought a lot of attention to USA Track and Field.

*I believe the 400m Hurdle time he ran while wining the Big 12 Championship his Freshman year at Baylor (which could have been a senior in HS as he graduated early, and joined Baylor that same Spring), was a 49.22 , and would have been good enough to place 11th in the 1st RD of the London Olympics. This was done with next to zero college track and field preparation, as he went directly from HS to the College season that same spring.