Rolling Thunder

Ronald Jones 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Most sleepers that cost nothing cost nothing for a reason. He is an add in only the deeper leagues until the coaching staff makes a move. And he should already be rostered in those deeper leagues.

Quite often there is a player who is picked up mid-season for cheap/free that was on waivers that can win you a league.

 

OBJ was actually drafted and dropped in our big keeper league when he was injured at the start of the season

Jordan Howard was a free pick up couple years ago

Kenyan Drake was playing lights out at the end of last season and no one had him rostered for the start of the season. He was huge getting me into the championship game in 2 leagues last year.

 

I could go on but you get the point. I'm not saying he is the next one but if you don't take the chance you won't own the next one.  Worst case scenario is I drop him

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Quite often there is a player who is picked up mid-season for cheap/free that was on waivers that can win you a league.

 

OBJ was actually drafted and dropped in our big keeper league when he was injured at the start of the season

Jordan Howard was a free pick up couple years ago

Kenyan Drake was playing lights out at the end of last season and no one had him rostered for the start of the season. He was huge getting me into the championship game in 2 leagues last year.

 

I could go on but you get the point. I'm not saying he is the next one but if you don't take the chance you won't own the next one.  Worst case scenario is I drop him

 

 

Perfect example actually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a now 22+ page thread which again looks like the thread did when it had 3 pages sampling the comments.

 

Nothing has changed. He needs the opportunity to prove he can hack it. Neither Barber nor Quizz have quashed this issue of a 2nd round rookie waiting for carries because they have both been quite mediocre while the offense was putting up historic offensive numbers. So I guess that is a bit of a change from Week 1 - they've officially done nothing for 4 weeks. Slight edge in momentum to Jones, and he is a worthy stash at worst going in to Week 6 with the bye now over and Winston back. 

 

In fundamental fantasy terms - he is worth no less than Barber or Quizz because you can't start any of them this week.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Big Nate said:

He could suck. But he was also playing with back-ups.... you see the holes he had to work with? No me neither.

 

Again no one is saying he's going to bust out. But if you have a spot on your bench and looking for a sleeper this guy can be picked up free in some leagues.  Won't cost you anything....

Would rather have Jamaal Charles at this point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Would rather have Jamaal Charles at this point 

 

Charles is going to get 2 carries a game.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

This is a now 22+ page thread which again looks like the thread did when it had 3 pages sampling the comments.

 

Nothing has changed. He needs the opportunity to prove he can hack it. Neither Barber nor Quizz have quashed this issue of a 2nd round rookie waiting for carries because they have both been quite mediocre while the offense was putting up historic offensive numbers. So I guess that is a bit of a change from Week 1 - they've officially done nothing for 4 weeks. Slight edge in momentum to Jones, and he is a worthy stash at worst going in to Week 6 with the bye now over and Winston back. 

 

In fundamental fantasy terms - he is worth no less than Barber or Quizz because you can't start any of them this week.

 

 

yeah i just don't see how anyone of these rb's are relevant in the near term and i say this after i dropped barber week 3.  Essentially if you add jones today you are betting he takes control of this backfield at some point for whatever that is worth fantasy wise. i look at this team similar to Texans QB's who prefer to throw it downfield rather than give the ball to the rb. So is it worth owning an rb on this offense if they won't produce points?  I dropped barber not because he didnt get many carries but because he had less than 3 TARGETS which makes him useless in ppr if he is not rushing for td's

 

Right now i'm looking at speculating between jones becoming the lead rb, chubb becoming lead rb based on hyde injury /trade or ameer becoming a lead rb somewhere if traded by NFL deadline.  All of these scenarios are likely and very unlikely

Edited by dashoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 8:26 AM, dashoe said:

 

 

The fact that Carson+ Davis had big running games separately and in tandem indicates to me that the o-line is doing it's job because once you get past the fanboy goggles or penny hate. neither Carson nor Davis are very talented runners. Very mediocre. 

 

I don't think the bucs run blocking is that great but with Winston under center the offense should open up

this is the most preposterous comment I've ever seen on this board. The offense "should open up" due to Winston. have you not paid any attention to the Bucs this season? Fitz was playing at an unheard of level and gashing D's, he was throwing for 400 YPG. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So then can we deduce that the Bucs have opened up the field on offense and needs someone above practice level ( RoJo ) at RB to have a ground game?

Edited by Dr. Whom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RJ2 is the perfect player in the perfect situation this week to utilize creative roster management--especially for those in Yahoo leagues or others that let you drop/add any bench players at any time.

 

Here's what I'm doing:

1. Dropped my kicker for RJ2

2. Will watch to see what RJ2 does in the 1pm game

3. Depending on his performance...

3a. Great performance--he stays on my roster and I drop someone else for a kicker

3b. Middling or poor performance--drop him for a kicker

 

Even if you still believe in his long-term outlook after a middling or poor performance it should be safe to drop this guy. He won't be an attractive waiver add to other owners and should be a guy you can realistically rinse and repeat this process with next week (they also have a 1pm start next week).

 

Of course this process is not particular to RJ2 and is honestly a great strategy for those who want to maximize their chances for a lotto RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, hines said:

this is the most preposterous comment I've ever seen on this board. The offense "should open up" due to Winston. have you not paid any attention to the Bucs this season? Fitz was playing at an unheard of level and gashing D's, he was throwing for 400 YPG. 

 

Yeah and you just demonstrated your lack of comprehension,  'open up'  means open up the playbook  which means expanding the options for the offense because  a 24yr old Winston has more mobility, a bigger arm and can make certain throws than  a 34yr old Fitzpatrick and gives the OC more options for play calling.   

Which is why he is the starter and Fitz is returned to his backup position.

You're welcome in advance for the education. :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost Ajayi. This guy appeals more to me than the Wendell Smallwoods and Buck Allens on the wire. I am a recovering Doug Martin 2017 owner and just feel so meh about this o line and backfield. What are some opinions on this guys realistic upside ros? Can he put up Kenyan Drake type numbers from the end of last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Any word who's runnin with the 1s?

 

no word on my twitter feed....guy who had barber dropped him so i am basically hoping to get some incite to decide my next move

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be surprised if TB just handed Jones the ball coming out of the bye. Best bet is probably some sort of split with Barber, but that's not exactly stiff competition.

 

If word breaks that Jones' is going to be getting 10-15 touches I think he's a boom-type flex this week against Atlanta. I'd worry a bit about game script given his issues catching passes, but the Falcons defense is a beauty match-up. If you're the Bucs and want to give this guy some confidence it would be a great game to get him going.

Edited by LongBalls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Any word who's runnin with the 1s?

 

 

 that's a good question anyone no the names

of the tampa beat reporters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

 

 that's a good question anyone no the names

of the tampa beat reporters?

 

Edit: found these guys 

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/gregauman

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLSTROUD

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottSBucs

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dashoe said:

 

 

 that's a good question anyone no the names

of the tampa beat reporters?

 

We didn't hear anything about Jones being active week 4 until a couple of hours before game time. Koetter seems like the kind of guy not to tip his hand. It would be great to hear something, one way or the other, but without a report I would keep him on your bench until he does something in a game. The chance for a 0 pt week is real...and I am Jones truther. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Any word who's runnin with the 1s?

 

does it make a difference? unless you're in a 16-team + league (maybe 24-team?), how is ro-jo a start?

 

tampa has proved they don't need a running game to win. it's no stretch to say that winston will be the leading rusher for the bucs on sunday. there are many playable pieces in this offense, but i'd sooner role with humphries, godwin, or a bucs TE in my flex over ronald jones. nothing against his talent, but loads against the efficiency of the bucs rushing game.

 

atlanta's certainly no brick wall, but we've seen the bucs RBs get stuffed by their own offensive line and i'm not sure a bye week can fix that

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sack Exchange said:

 

does it make a difference? unless you're in a 16-team + league (maybe 24-team?), how is ro-jo a start?

 

tampa has proved they don't need a running game to win. it's no stretch to say that winston will be the leading rusher for the bucs on sunday. there are many playable pieces in this offense, but i'd sooner role with humphries, godwin, or a bucs TE in my flex over ronald jones. nothing against his talent, but loads against the efficiency of the bucs rushing game.

 

atlanta's certainly no brick wall, but we've seen the bucs RBs get stuffed by their own offensive line and i'm not sure a bye week can fix that

 

giphy.gif

That is a stretch. Winston is not a QB that runs for yards. One of the Bucs RBs will be the leading rusher. But the odds are high that even that leads to a RB you can't even flex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

 

 

atlanta's certainly no brick wall, but we've seen the bucs RBs get stuffed by their own offensive line and i'm not sure a bye week can fix that

 

 

 

Because Atlanta's rush defense has been so pathetic we should all be hoping Jones gets the start or at least 8-10 carries. If the Bucs feed Barber all game there is a good chance he has a very good game and that could derail the Jones bandwagon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

 

does it make a difference? unless you're in a 16-team + league (maybe 24-team?), how is ro-jo a start?

 

tampa has proved they don't need a running game to win. it's no stretch to say that winston will be the leading rusher for the bucs on sunday. there are many playable pieces in this offense, but i'd sooner role with humphries, godwin, or a bucs TE in my flex over ronald jones. nothing against his talent, but loads against the efficiency of the bucs rushing game.

 

atlanta's certainly no brick wall, but we've seen the bucs RBs get stuffed by their own offensive line and i'm not sure a bye week can fix that

 

giphy.gif

 

 

Good post. This o line is pretty pathetic unfortunately until proven otherwise. Rojo is just a stash for now, IMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i need a bye week rb...i can care less about this week...they get clevland next week which has given up chunks on the ground...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.