Rolling Thunder

Ronald Jones 2018 Outlook

16 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

lotta Barber owners who thought they got "SOD11!!1! ZOMG!!1111!" in the 7th or 8th round milling about up in here.  hmmm. 

lemme ask ya this ... if Barber was the answer, why was RoJo snagged in the second round?  

i mean, it's not like this Bucs team is the '76 Stillers or '84 Niners or '93 Cowboys, amirite?  surely they have glaring holes ip and down their roster, and plenty of needs that had to be fulfilled, no? 

and yet they plunked major draft capital on RoJo when the great Barber was already in the fold ... yeah, seems legit. 

oh, and IN before "DRAFT CAPITAL MEANS ISH JONES SUCKS WATCH THE PRESEASON TAPE LOLZ" 

yeah, i get it. 

While Jones was likely free in anything outside of dynasty, so was Barber in a lot of leagues this week. He was probably one of the most dropped players last week. And Ronald Jones has been over-hyped the last two weeks.

If you own both, that is great, but there is no reason not to roster Barber for the next couple weeks to see if the Bucs finally involve their running game more creatively. If not, then there is no reason to own any Bucs RB. And you roster Jones towards the end of the season if the Bucs are out of the playoff race and playing rookies to see what they have in them.

Koetter is playing for his job though and playing a disappointing rookie isn't going to help right now. I think Barber is the one being overlooked now and probably free in a lot of leagues.

1 minute ago, HTM said:

You said, "lemme ask ya this ... if Barber was the answer, why was RoJo snagged in the second round?"

and then you said," oh, and IN before "DRAFT CAPITAL MEANS ISH JONES SUCKS WATCH THE PRESEASON TAPE LOLZ" 

So do you want people to answer or not? 

Obviously, we've seen two RB's this year drafted in the 2nd round and not being given a starting role immediately. They have to earn it.  Apparently, being a 2nd round pick just doesn't entitle you to start over veterans. 

That's the answer. 

HFS, are you seriously missing the point here? WOW. 

lemme simplify it a tad: 

IT'S EASIER FOR A ROOK TO CASH IN ON HIS DRAFT CAPITAL WHEN THE PLAYER AHEAD OF HIM IS THE PERSONIFICATION  OF "JAG". 

thanks. 

Barber is JAG and I don’t believe jones was fully over his hamstring injury post combine. I think he will take over this backfield over the next 2-3 weeks. If not, he was free. 

• Like 2

Also just because a team uses a 2nd round draft pick on a player doesn't mean it was an immediate need or good player. This same organization traded up and drafted Aguayo in the 2nd round a couple years ago.

Maybe Jones was best player available even if they were fine going into the season with Barber, Quiz, and Sims.

1 minute ago, HTM said:

You said, "lemme ask ya this ... if Barber was the answer, why was RoJo snagged in the second round?"

and then you said," oh, and IN before "DRAFT CAPITAL MEANS ISH JONES SUCKS WATCH THE PRESEASON TAPE LOLZ" 

So do you want people to answer or not? 

Obviously, we've seen two RB's this year drafted in the 2nd round and not being given a starting role immediately. They have to earn it.  Apparently, being a 2nd round pick just doesn't entitle you to start over veterans. 

That's the answer. 

LOL..

This whole discussion continues to go around and around in circles.

We who own Ronald Jones:

- Know that he may not be the starter in week 6

- Are perfectly fine with him not starting week 6

- Anticipate him passing Barber sooner than later. Hell, as soon as the 2nd half of game 6. See Fitzgerald thread week 4.

- Picked him up as a speculative move to avoid spending FAAB later and/or not being in position on the wire to get him. The days of waiting for a player to explode before you pick him up is 2015 thinking. Those days are long gone. You have to anticipate moves.

- Can drop him at any point for FREE

- Know that he is the best back on the team and the cream rises to the top eventually in most cases.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Power-O said:

its hard... i wana pick up barber and hold jones and just see how it plays out bu tmy league forces me to hold a max of 6 and i wana backup hyde and lynch...they all play at 1 so i cant even pickup one after the game....its rough smh

Wait...

I don’t think we’re playing the same fantasy game....

In a 12 person league, are you telling me 72 running backs can be on people’s rosters?  That’s a bench the size of the Grand Canyon.

You can put a lot of trash in the Grand Canyon.  I can see why we’re having this discussion now.  Both Barber and Jones are trash...

22 hours ago, dashoe said:

Yeah and you just demonstrated your lack of comprehension,  'open up'  means open up the playbook  which means expanding the options for the offense because  a 24yr old Winston has more mobility, a bigger arm and can make certain throws than  a 34yr old Fitzpatrick and gives the OC more options for play calling.   

Which is why he is the starter and Fitz is returned to his backup position.

You're welcome in advance for the education. :)

incredible. have you watched these guys play ever? Fitzpatrick is much more mobile than Winston, and averages more rushing yards per game than Winston does in his career with no drop off this season. and if Fitz couldn't make throws, it wasn't slowing him down as he was hitting deep passes at a truly historic rate as the bucs passed better than arguably any team in history weeks 1-3. just take the L man, your post was the worst post anyone will ever see here

1 minute ago, seanismorris said:

Wait...

I don’t think we’re playing the same fantasy game....

In a 12 person league, are you telling me 72 running backs can be on people’s rosters?  That’s a bench the size of the Grand Canyon.

You can put a lot of trash in the Grand Canyon.  I can see why we’re having this discussion now.  Both Barber and Jones are trash...

If Jones is trash, we drop. 

If Jones explodes, we can win our league. 

People that have done fantasy for a long time know what they don't know. We know that many years players who are supposed to be duds, turn out to be stars and vice versa. We know that just because things seem a certain way in Week 1, doesn't mean it will be that way the whole year..especially with rookies.

We take calculated chances. Jones is a high reward, low risk acquisition. At least he was when i scooped him up.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, hines said:

incredible. have you watched these guys play ever? Fitzpatrick is much more mobile than Winston, and averages more rushing yards per game than Winston does in his career with no drop off this season. and if Fitz couldn't make throws, it wasn't slowing him down as he was hitting deep passes at a truly historic rate as the bucs passed better than arguably any team in history weeks 1-3. just take the L man, your post was the worst post anyone will ever see here

I am not Winston fan, but Fitz is and always will be the guy who looks great for 2-3 weeks then is absolute trash the rest of the time. He can't read a defense to save his life and once the defense adjusts it's game over. With him it's basically throw the ball deep regardless of whether or not the guy is open. When it works, he looks like a god and when it doesn't work he ends up with 150 yards and 4 picks. Winston is miles better than Fitz in every way on the field.

Defenses pretty much always play Fitz the same way; dare him to throw. It's why he always looks so good for a few games because sometimes he beats the defense but most of the time he doesn't. They can't dare Winston to throw because Winston will torch them more often than not. That should open up the run game for whoever ends up being the RB there. Maybe they still can't run, but Winston coming back should make the team better on offense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

People that have done fantasy for a long time know what they don't know. 

beautiful. 

don't think i've ever heard our maddening lil' endeavor ever so poignantly fleshed out.  

3 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

We take calculated chances.

BOOM!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hines said:

Listen I get you're a Fitz For President guy who is giddy with his 3 game performance and you don't want Jameis to start but you  are truly lost if you don't understand haw jameis talent opens up this offense moreso than Fitzpatricks. 

You do know  the term mobile QB does not EQUAL one who has more rushing yards?

Geez what do they teach you guys in fantasy school these days? :lol:

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

The CBS “experts” are high on R. Jones.

In the best matchup he’s going to see this year...

Jones is ranked:

44th

44th

47th

I don’t go on the “experts” but come-on people, they don’t bother ranking people after 48.

Moving on...  people are probably reading this and thinking “So you’re saying with Jones there is a chance?”

And if he has a good game he'll be ranked in the 30s next week, a very good game he'll be in the 20s.  Rankings are basically bs,  for ecample draft rankings with a 50% error rate.  What I do know is TB has a fairly neutral RB schedule, based on that, and opportunity, he's as good a lottery pick as any, & better than many.

5 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

If Jones is trash, we drop. 

If Jones explodes, we can win our league. 

People that have done fantasy for a long time know what they don't know. We know that many years players who are supposed to be duds, turn out to be stars and vice versa. We know that just because things seem a certain way in Week 1, doesn't mean it will be that way the whole year..especially with rookies.

We take calculated chances. Jones is a high reward, low risk acquisition. At least he was when i scooped him up.  

Those of us without a huge bench have higher opportunity costs.  I know he’s trash compared to the other options available.  Jones is the opposite (in probably most leagues) he’s high risk, low reward.

We’re not comparing Apples to Apples due to our league formats...

In my league, stashing Jones would main forgoing stashing Breida.

Rotoworld telling us to not discuss our rosters here is a scam to generate activity.  If we could see what the other people are dealing with, we’d have a lot more agreement than debate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

And if he has a good game he'll be ranked in the 30s next week, a very good game he'll be in the 20s.  Rankings are basically bs,  for ecample draft rankings with a 50% error rate.  What I do know is TB has a fairly neutral RB schedule, based on that, and opportunity, he's as good a lottery pick as any, & better than many.

I think if he has increased touch share  or has more touches than barber, those analysts will move him up their ranks and if he hits a big play like takes  one to the house for 30yds the bloggers lose their minds and make him the top waiver priority pick. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Those of us without a huge bench have higher opportunity costs.  I know he’s trash compared to the other options available.  Jones is the opposite (in probably most leagues) he’s high risk, low reward.

Rotoworld telling us to not discuss our rosters here is a scam to generate activity.  If we could see what the other people are dealing with, we’d have a lot more agreement than debate.

Yeah, if the choice is dropping Breida or stashing Jones, I am sticking with Breida. But I think most people's worst player on their bench isn't Breida. They may have a QB2/TE2/ a WR that can be easily replaced from the vast pool of talent at WR. 

Hah, Mike Tagliere said he wouldn't be surprised if Barber is inactive this week. That would be nice. He's a strong Jones truther, though.

• Like 3

Just now, LongBalls said:

Hah, Mike Tagliere said he wouldn't be surprised if Barber is inactive this week. That would be nice. He's a strong Jones truther, though.

Who is Mike taglioere?

2 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I mean, yeah of course these pick ups depend on a lot of things. But if I already have 2-3 startable RBs... Let's say a RB1, RB2, and a flex guy then I don't see why you wouldn't add Jones on the cheap over other lotto tickets like Chubb. No one is advocating dropping Breida for this guy, but FWIW I would rather have Jones over Breida if I was in a position where Breida wasn't a starter for me and I could get him for low FAAB or free. 

20 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

I've been checking out his takes on players I had questions about, most are pretty good.

• Like 2

Just now, Red Dog said:

I've been checking out his takes on players I had questions about, most are pretty good.

I listen to every podcast they put out and I've been following about 80% of the advice they give. Some good bits of info in there

• Like 1

Rumor had it that Jones had trouble picking up the playbook:

https://www.bucsnation.com/2018/8/24/17779996/report-buccaneers-ronald-jones-playbook-struggle-tampa-bay-bucs

The biggest appeal to him is that the competition in front of him isn't that great, and the team will likely want to get him on the field at some point.

Aside from various red flags in his measurables for a feature back (James White is an optimistic comp), the fact is Tampa doesn't run the ball well.  Most of their running backs in the past two seasons have run for under 4 ypc.  

Rewatching his carries from preseason, I only see one where he obviously screwed up where he should have went with the ball.  He gets some yards after contact, the main issue for him fantasy wise will be if Tampa can actually run block for him.  Seems like they get blown up a lot when trying to run block.  It doesn't matter how good the running back is if he's getting hit in the backfield constantly.

Ronald Jones in the preseason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srFqvoKaYjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exKrnKfj6lQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4uhJlSDJo

With all that said, Ronald Jones is probably one of the best stashes going into this week since he seems to be the only running back with a clear path to feature back status not involving injuries.  Someone like Chubb is a great stash, but probably requires a Hyde injury for him to make a major impact. 

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

if this comes to fruition lemme say this ... it will be a one game audtion for RoJo, imo.    Atlanta is giving it up like Babs during Fleet Week - he's gonna need to ish or get off my roster pot. 

i need to see some spark or pizazz or electricity ... if it's biz as usual he's out.  

yeah, i am pumped for the spec, but it needs to yield bigly if Barber does sit. 

Does anyone know if he's the projected starter?  Is there a significant chance Barber starts and continues holding the reigns against a terrible ATL offense?  For those of us with both him and Barber on waivers I'm wondering which one in fact is actually the more savvy pickup...I think someone emerges in this backfield this week.

Edited by cheezor42

4 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

Does anyone know if he's the projected starter?  Is there a significant chance Barber starts and continues holding the reigns against a terrible ATL offense?  For those of us with both him and Barber on waivers I'm wondering which one in fact is actually the more savvy pickup...I think someone emerges in this backfield this week.

Who will probably start? Barber

Who will probably shine/have the most productive day? Jones