Rolling Thunder

Ronald Jones 2018 Outlook

On 12/5/2018 at 10:30 AM, Big Nate said:

To be fair he hasn't been given much of an opportunity.

As for the guy you quoted I would for sure pick him up as a flyer in a dynasty league. Obviously you aren't playing him this year, unless TB goes in a tank and decides they have seen enough of Barber and want to give the rookie some burn.

Dynasty this guy is a hold for sure.

On 12/5/2018 at 12:41 PM, Spyplane said:

Indeed. He's been hurt and he's struggled in his first year as a pro but he had an impressive college career and showed his talent there. This is the kind of late season flier that can pay off big time the following season.

Picked him up as a Keeper option (which would be 9th Round Pick next year) just in case he somehow figures it out. But also picked up Chris Warren III (which would be 16th Round Pick next year) if he can get starting gig since Lynch and Martin have expiring contracts after this year is over. Thoughts?

11 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Picked him up as a Keeper option (which would be 9th Round Pick next year) just in case he somehow figures it out. But also picked up Chris Warren III (which would be 16th Round Pick next year) if he can get starting gig since Lynch and Martin have expiring contracts after this year is over. Thoughts?

1) the Tampa O-line sucks. Like, they're #31 in the league. That's not good, so I want to see them draft and trade for a lot of O-line talent before I get burnt by any TB RB again. 

2) Even if you take that into account, RoJo was worse than Peyton Barber, who hasn't exactly set the league on fire in any of his seasons. College stats can be misleading; look how he did in 2017 against Texas, Ohio State and Notre Dame, and maybe we could have seen it coming.

3) RoJo isn't really a pass catching back, and that makes it easier for opposing defenses to limit him when you're already not the most bruising runner.

I didn't see it this season, and I most definitely will stay away next season.

New coaching staff coming in, impossible to know how that will shake out, the highlight of the entire team was todd monken's playcalling and innovative approach to offense so he will surely be fired and replaced by some regressive turd like todd haley

IMO this totally extinguishes any trace of hope you might have for an upstart sophomore season for RJ

A back like him could theoretically produce if given an opportunity, another camp to learn how to pass block and catch passes (the JUGGS machine worked for jordan howard), and an excellent playcaller who knows how to take advantage of the strengths of his backs, which means get him in space of course

Edited by Cotton Jones

Barber was excellent this season despite the really poor offensive line play and run blocking. Consistently churning out positive yardage while getting hit in the backfield. And had some nice 20+ yard runs as well.

Ronald Jones is going to face stiff competition next year and showed next to nothing the entire season. He had zero flashes. Looking like a legitimate bust already. And it wouldn't be the first time. Pumphrey was a recent 3rd round pick billed as the next Sproles and was a total bust.

On 2018-12-25 at 3:29 PM, HarryPotter said:

W3 wasn't on my radar. How does your league work, are you locked into him now for next year if you pick him up or can you cut him predraft and use your 16th? If that's the case then what do you have to lose right now?

27 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

W3 wasn't on my radar. How does your league work, are you locked into him now for next year if you pick him up or can you cut him predraft and use your 16th? If that's the case then what do you have to lose right now?

I picked both of them up as options. Warren III was so impressive in pre-season figured I’d just take a flier on him. I have others as well such as Guice and Dixon who can also be kept for a 16th (if I don’t keep Warren III) or if I keep both Warren III and Guice it would be 15th and 16th Rounders. Not locked into anyone, and yes, can cut them pre-draft if they’re not promising. It’s a long ways away but just trying to get ahead of next year lol 😆 

Guice seems like a no brainer. I'd be locked on him unless he does poor in his recovery but even then...

4 hours ago, hard1 said:

If McCarthy goes to Tampa I hope rj gets the aaron jones treatment

He's not the player AJ is.  I was optimistic about RJ coming into the league, but he showed next to nothing with his opportunities this year.  Perhaps he can turn it around, but if he does make a positive transition I'll just miss out.

I mean he's a big play threat and not a big guy... I'm not sure he isn't aaron jones

31 minutes ago, hard1 said:

I mean he's a big play threat and not a big guy... I'm not sure he isn't aaron jones

AJ has averaged over 5.0 ypc in his first two seasons and has consistently displayed the ability to keep his offense ahead of the chains even when he's not breaking off big plays, despite being smaller in stature.  Rojo had an abysmal pre-season, and didn't improve at all in the regular season with 23 rushes for 44 yards(1.9 ypc.)  He also didn't show much in the passing game or pass protection.  His lack of receiving chops in college is also concerning.  He has a long way to go before he can prove he can have a consistent impact as a runner in the league.  I'm not saying not to stash him for free in a keeper league, but I would certainly temper expectations.

I agree temper expectations especially after the abysmal season he just put up... but pedigree and honestly lack of coaching staff support... can't be ignored.... he has the running skills...if a coach puts him in a position to succeed which he was never this year and was quickly given the hook by the staff and fantasy owners when he didn't do anything with 3 to 5 carries a game...