the_dying_dream

Kerryon Johnson 2018 Outlook

18 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

This makes no sense

He doesn't want to be wrong. Looks tongue in cheek.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Spyplane said:

He doesn't want to be wrong. Looks tongue in cheek.

Exactly. It was a had to drop. I hope Detroit for once can stick with a lead back, but this game had a different feel to it. They were in control, established the run, kept up with the run. Stafford didn't have to throw it 40-50 times.

The schedule ahead looks a bit tough, so I don't know if the offense goes back to slinging the ball 35+ times because the defense can't hold its own...I'm looking at the stretch after the buy:

@Miami

Seattle

@Minnesota

@Chicago

Carolina

Chicago

Los Angeles Rams

After Miami, things get tough. The good thing about the Chicago games though, is that the Bears don't have much offense either, so we still may be seeing plenty of running by both teams. Still a tough and stout defense.

Just now, tpat30 said:

Exactly. It was a had to drop. I hope Detroit for once can stick with a lead back, but this game had a different feel to it. They were in control, established the run, kept up with the run. Stafford didn't have to throw it 40-50 times.

The schedule ahead looks a bit tough, so I don't know if the offense goes back to slinging the ball 35+ times because the defense can't hold its own...I'm looking at the stretch after the buy:

@Miami

Seattle

@Minnesota

@Chicago

Carolina

Chicago

Los Angeles Rams

After Miami, things get tough. The good thing about the Chicago games though, is that the Bears don't have much offense either, so we still may be seeing plenty of running by both teams. Still a tough and stout defense.

@ARI and @Buf wks 14 and 15 sound good to me. 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, timbrah_ho said:

I dont understand why people cite history in Detroit when there's a new HC in town

Same Offensive Coordinator means same old crap year in year out...Lions abandon the run per Lions ownership who want Stafford to earn his money

2 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Same Offensive Coordinator means same old crap year in year out...Lions abandon the run per Lions ownership who want Stafford to earn his money

Not buying it. Kerryon is a big time talent. they burned a 2nd on him and they moved up to get him. They've increased his load every week and every week he's delivered. Last week they gave him the ball 18 times and he produced 110 yards. They happened to clobber the Pats 26-10. They care about winning and so that's why they went all in of Stafford in years past. They now have the guy needed to take pressure off Safford.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sSektor said:

He looked like 2016 DJ lite on that third carry. 

People seriously need to watch those highlights if they don't think this kid is talented.  His ability to move laterally then hit the hole is incredible.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Not buying it. Kerryon is a big time talent. they burned a 2nd on him and they moved up to get him. They've increased his load every week and every week he's delivered. Last week they gave him the ball 18 times and he produced 110 yards. They happened to clobber the Pats 26-10. They care about winning and so that's why they went all in of Stafford in years past. They now have the guy needed to take pressure off Safford.

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong. I own Kerryon because I think he is talented, just don’t trust the Lolions

source

Living in metro Detroit 

Definitely hard to trust but gonna roll with the match-up as I think the Lions/Cowboys will be a close game.  No Sean Lee either for the Cowboys so it's a positive match-up for them.  Cowboys offense struggling so I see some good game script here for Kerryon.

Considering making a move for him in my league. Increased work load every week, very talented, vital to shocking the Patriots in primetime, still worried about Blount though. 

What are your opinions on his value ROS?

2 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Considering making a move for him in my league. Increased work load every week, very talented, vital to shocking the Patriots in primetime, still worried about Blount though. 

I trust traded Coleman for him. I think he can be a league winner if the Lions utilize him. That's a big IF. But they haven't had a back this talented since Reggie Bush and he led a ton of teams to championships in the 2013 season.

On 9/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, tpat30 said:

@Miami

Seattle

@Minnesota

@Chicago

Carolina

Chicago

Los Angeles Rams

that is a lot of tough teams to run the ball on or even move the ball effectively.  can't imagine feeling good about starting him this next month and half but may not have the choice

Kerryon is a dual-threat RB so even if the match-ups are tough, he can contribute in the receiving department.

Just now, ludawg23 said:

Kerryon is a dual-threat RB so even if the match-ups are tough, he can contribute in the receiving department.

and on any other team i'd have more faith, but DET has Riddick who is one of the best in the receiving department and they haven't shown any signs of not continuing to use him yet.  it really isn't an argument that they are better off giving Kerryon 3 down work and just leaving Riddick and Blount as guys to give Kerryon a break on occasion, but the history in DET with this staff is that will not be how they do things. 

7 minutes ago, Panthor said:

and on any other team i'd have more faith, but DET has Riddick who is one of the best in the receiving department and they haven't shown any signs of not continuing to use him yet.  it really isn't an argument that they are better off giving Kerryon 3 down work and just leaving Riddick and Blount as guys to give Kerryon a break on occasion, but the history in DET with this staff is that will not be how they do things. 

To be fair you are talking about previous coaching staffs that had the Jim Caldwell’s and Jim Schwartz of this world. I’m not saying Patricia is better or worse than them but he deserves a shot to prove himself before making such an assumption.

4 minutes ago, Boozted said:

To be fair you are talking about previous coaching staffs that had the Jim Caldwell’s and Jim Schwartz of this world. I’m not saying Patricia is better or worse than them but he deserves a shot to prove himself before making such an assumption.

same offensive coordinator calling the plays, so pretty much the same game plan and philosophy is in place.  Patricia is a defensive guy

14 minutes ago, Panthor said:

"but DET has Riddick who is one of the best in the receiving department and they haven't shown any signs of not continuing to use him yet."

Theo Riddick's snap counts the last 3 weeks in order:

Week 1: 58.6%

Week 2: 36.4%

Week 3: 28.8%

That's a trend. They are absolutely showing signs of not continuing to use him. Blount is a different story, but I am not concerned about Riddick at all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mdw5048 said:

"but DET has Riddick who is one of the best in the receiving department and they haven't shown any signs of not continuing to use him yet."

That's a trend. They are absolutely showing signs of not continuing to use him. Blount is a different story, but I am not concerned about Riddick at all.

Week 1 down a million points to the Jets = Riddick

Week 2 closer up until the 4th quarter = Riddick in 4th

Week 3 demolished the Pats and played ball control = Kerryon/Blount

There is no trend yet on Riddick going anywhere.  Kerryon is getting more work overall but that doesn't mean anything for Riddick future usage other than MAYBE a slight decrease.  The snap counts are exactly as expected considering how the first 3 games played out.

As a Lions fan I would love to see Kerryon continue to see increases in snaps and touches regardless of the circumstances but at this point it's way too early to call Riddick's slight down turn a trend.

Lion's offense is an order of magnitude less predictable with Kerryon in the game. 

Edited by Gabbed
  • Like 1

Just now, Gabbed said:

Week 1 down a million points to the Jets = Riddick

Week 2 closer up until the 4th quarter = Riddick in 4th

Week 3 demolished the Pats and played ball control = Kerryon/Blount

There is no trend yet on Riddick going anywhere.  Kerryon is getting more work overall but that doesn't mean anything for Riddick future usage other than MAYBE he loses some work to Kerryon.  The snap counts are exactly as expected considering how the first 3 games played out.

As a Lions fan I would love to see Kerryon continue to see increases in snaps and touches regardless of the circumstances but at this point it's way too early to call Riddick's slight down turn a trend.

Slight???  :blink:

4 minutes ago, cnewbykkn said:

Slight???  :blink:

Yes, Slight.  Once again the game circumstances have dictated Lion's RB usage more than anything else.

If they had been down 40 points to the Pats Riddick would have seen a much higher snap share.

Edited by Gabbed

4 minutes ago, mdw5048 said:

they were  leading in week 3 and basically trying to get the hell out of dodge as fast as they could, so no surprise there for Riddick being out of the picture

i was specifically talking about games where they are trying to mount the come back, and with that upcoming schedule it is a good possibility of that happening.

i'm not saying that Kerryon isn't the best they got and he should be used accordingly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

they were  leading in week 3 and basically trying to get the hell out of dodge as fast as they could, so no surprise there for Riddick being out of the picture

i was specifically talking about games where they are trying to mount the come back, and with that upcoming schedule it is a good possibility of that happening.

i'm not saying that Kerryon isn't the best they got and he should be used accordingly

This is spot on.  If there's a game where the Lions are playing catch up/hurry up and Kerryon is getting the snaps then we can start celebrating.  Until then... it's way too premature to call Riddick's drop in usage a "trend" based on a game that the Lion's lead the entire game and tried to keep Brady off the field.

I'm excited for the kid, he looks great out there and I believe opens up a lot of things for the Lion's offense... that said I'll believe it when I see it and not before.

Edited by Gabbed

3 hours ago, next big thing cp84 said:

On 9/24/2018 at 9:40 AM, JJRules said:

I think they'll continue to scale up his usage until the week six bye, after which I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him largely carrying the load.

^Could be a league winner if they actually do this. The kid's got skills.