the_dying_dream

Kerryon Johnson 2018 Outlook

On 10/1/2018 at 3:11 AM, thebadferret said:

Over the last 2 games:

Kerryon Johnson: 25 carries = 165 yards

LaGarrette Blount: 23 carries = 60 yards

I kind of trust the coaches to react to this accordingly in the next week and boys, then it begins.

Don't.  These are not coaches that you can trust to do the right things.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/10/01/detroit-lions-kerryon-johnson/1484767002/

“Start, not start, it depends on personnel groups, who’s in the game, things like that,” Patricia said. “Look, it doesn’t matter who’s in the game. Whoever’s in the game’s got to go out and execute at a high level, so that’s what we expect.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/10/01/detroit-lions-kerryon-johnson-playing-time/1491699002/

"I think we have a lot of really good running backs and I think we try to use them appropriately," Patricia said at his Monday news conference. "I think Kerryon played a significant amount of the game. He played 20 snaps of 55, that’s a good amount. Plus, we have two other running backs, plus we have two-minute drives and other two-minute personnel packages and things like that. There was quite a bit of reps in there for Kerryon."

This guy doesn't get it.  I'm still selling while the stock is hot.

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Don't.  These are not coaches that you can trust to do the right things.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/10/01/detroit-lions-kerryon-johnson/1484767002/

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/10/01/detroit-lions-kerryon-johnson-playing-time/1491699002/

This guy doesn't get it.  I'm still selling while the stock is hot.

I genuinely cannot comprehend what the actual sh*t is going through his head. How in the world can you be so incompetent to the point where you do not see the dynamism Kerryon brings to your offense that you simply do not have with Blount in the game.

I understand I am just a guy on a forum, but this guy is actually getting paid millions of dollars to put the right people in the right places in order to maximize his team's chance at winning. By that description, how does one not play Kerryon over Blount?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, next big thing cp84 said:

this guy is actually getting paid millions of dollars to put the right people in the right places in order to maximize his team's chance at winning. By that description, how does one not play Kerryon over Blount?

Preach.

• Thanks 1

I'm holding.  Blount has nothing left in the tank and even if the coaches can't see it, he's not going to stay healthy if they keep handing him the rock 10-15 times a game at age 31.  Kerryon's ceiling is going to be capped for the foreseeable future, but you can start him over injured or bye week players and expect a solid floor, and there's upside if this situation changes.

20 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

I'm holding.  Blount has nothing left in the tank and even if the coaches can't see it, he's not going to stay healthy if they keep handing him the rock 10-15 times a game at age 31.  Kerryon's ceiling is going to be capped for the foreseeable future, but you can start him over injured or bye week players and expect a solid floor, and there's upside if this situation changes.

lol

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

This is standard coach speak even if it doesn't look like it.

All you have to do is look at Patricia and see that he doesn't like to look wrong about anything and that being right to him is more important than the people he works with. That's why the locker room has already abandoned him to some extent and will continue to do so. He's completely inflexible and thinks he's Bill Belichick. Of course he's not.

When the losses keep piling up he will scale back the workload for Blount and then will claim it was part of his plan the whole time. Guys like Kerryon only don't get fed if there's some contractual reason not to do so, and again. Blount on a 1 year, 2 million dollar deal. That would be called a prove it deal if it was Dez taking the offer but since it's Blount everyone knows thats just another quick cash out before he starts doing nutrisystem commercials.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Trying to make facts off of an assumption doesn't work in fantasy. 

The local media is hammering Patricia over RB usage and it's only going to get worse unless something changes.  Also, they love Blount early on and while the game is close/leading, but even Patricia can't justify having him in when the team is trailing.  When they're trailing it's going to be Kerryon 1st and 2nd, and Riddick on 3rd.  Well, if the season so far is any indicator, they will be trailing a lot.  Please keep in mind also that Kerryon is steady getting more work each week (Sunday was actually his first official "start"), and game flow kept the Lions offense VERY limited.

Kerryon is a HOLD.  I wouldn't trust him in a start but it's too early to sell also.

Other national sports media folks are saying the same thing. Just saw this blurb from Salfino's weekly scouting notebook article (on The Athletic)

"The Lions have to erase LeGarrette Blount from their game plan. His touches hurt the program. He now has 35 carries for 95 yards. Kerryon Johnson has 216 on just three more carries."

As much as it pains me to say this I think he might be a sell high right now. Not based off of the talent, that’s there for sure. Hell not even the opportunnity argument which I think is gonna have to change even with the most inept coaching staff.

What really scares me? The schedule!! 2 games with Minny, 2 with Chicago, one with the rams and one with Carolina. That’s brutal. 

I thought his was funny wording(albeit spot on)

LeGarrette Blount (illness) returned to practice Thursday.

He was just sick on Wednesday. He will be ready to vulture touches from Kerryon Johnson against the Packers.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:13 AM, Nyblazer11235 said:

As much as it pains me to say this I think he might be a sell high right now. Not based off of the talent, that’s there for sure. Hell not even the opportunnity argument which I think is gonna have to change even with the most inept coaching staff.

What really scares me? The schedule!! 2 games with Minny, 2 with Chicago, one with the rams and one with Carolina. That’s brutal. 

Minny D is a shell of itself without Griffen, shouldn't be a concern

Chicago is legit defense but offense is s---, so the game should stay close and Johnson will still be able to get plenty of points, just a limited ceiling

Rams danger of game scripted out if they go heavy Riddick, but still a start

as far as selling high, ask everyone who sold Gurley last year how it worked out for them.  obviously not saying Johnson = Gurley.  but the point remains the same.  being scared of something that might happen isn't a good way to win in fantasy football.  the games still have to be played,  you never know what is going to happen. 

He's trending in the right direction. When I drafted him, I was looking for the 2nd half of the season.  He's in a timeshare, I get that but he's performing well and is hands down the best all around RB on that team.  

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

Minny D is a shell of itself without Griffen, shouldn't be a concern

Chicago is legit defense but offense is s---, so the game should stay close and Johnson will still be able to get plenty of points, just a limited ceiling

Rams danger of game scripted out if they go heavy Riddick, but still a start

as far as selling high, ask everyone who sold Gurley last year how it worked out for them.  obviously not saying Johnson = Gurley.  but the point remains the same.  being scared of something that might happen isn't a good way to win in fantasy football.  the games still have to be played,  you never know what is going to happen. 

Gurley didn't have a trusted veteran RB like Blount sharing the backfield with him. Including a trusted 3rd down and hurry up RB like Riddick that also isn't going anywhere.

I think Kerryon looks great and will have his weeks. But I also don't think Blount is going anywhere this season. And Blount has familiarity with Patricia.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

Gurley didn't have a trusted veteran RB like Blount sharing the backfield with him. Including a trusted 3rd down and hurry up RB like Riddick that also isn't going anywhere.

I think Kerryon looks great and will have his weeks. But I also don't think Blount is going anywhere this season. And Blount has familiarity with Patricia.

i realize that, that's why i said it isn't the same thing, but the principle behind not "selling high" because of a fear of a schedule remains the same, which is what i'm talking about

Edited by Panthor

Well, it doesn't look like Patricia is going to increase Johnson's reps:

"I think we have a lot of really good running backs, and I think we try to use them appropriately," Patricia said, via MLive.com's Kyle Meinke. "I think Kerryon played a significant amount of the game. He played 20 snaps at 55 [yards], that's a good amount. Plus, we had two other running backs, plus we had a couple two-minute drives in there with some other packages and things like that. So, there were quite a few reps in there for Kerryon."

"We do a lot of studies on full seasons and where guys are at at the end of the season, especially running backs," Patricia said. "You'll find a lot of teams where guys, maybe earlier in the season were at a high production level, and then by the time they get to the end of the season, the wear and tear of that position is pretty extreme. So, you get to the end of the year and those guys maybe aren't out there as much."

Is this dude serious? He doesn't want to wear him down so his answer is to give him 9 carries the game after Johnson is the first Lions back to break 100 yards rushing in 70 games? Come on man!

Edited by RoseLin23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RoseLin23 said:

"I think we have a lot of really good running backs, and I think we try to use them appropriately," Patricia said, via MLive.com's Kyle Meinke. "I think Kerryon played a significant amount of the game. He played 20 snaps at 55 [yards], that's a good amount. Plus, we had two other running backs, plus we had a couple two-minute drives in there with some other packages and things like that. So, there were quite a few reps in there for Kerryon."

"We do a lot of studies on full seasons and where guys are at at the end of the season, especially running backs," Patricia said. "You'll find a lot of teams where guys, maybe earlier in the season were at a high production level, and then by the time they get to the end of the season, the wear and tear of that position is pretty extreme. So, you get to the end of the year and those guys maybe aren't out there as much."

Is this dude serious? He doesn't want to wear him down so his answer is to give him 9 carries the game after Johnson is the first Lions back to break 100 yards rushing in 70 games? Come on man!

Soooo stupid really, it will be just a matter of time until he gets featured, he's too good and Blount sucks, patience my friends.

34 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

Don't anybody say they weren't warned.

Sucks that I play in a metro Detroit league so everyone hears the local news. They all know Patricia does not want to increase his workload this season. RBBC Forevah

It stands to reason that rookies should be eased in, based on schedule demands in the NFL compared to NCAA.

Haven’t we seen this, time and again? The rookie RB that breaks out early to mid season?

Behind closed doors I bet Patricia knows exactly who should and will get fed, but his coachspeak is to avoid telegraphing a clear preference. That preference will soon show itself boldly. 

This cannot and will not continue for much longer.

For once I said I wasn't going to be suckered by the Lion's talk of getting their ground game going.  The year that I have no shares, it looks like it could actually happen.

2 hours ago, jspeed said:

For once I said I wasn't going to be suckered by the Lion's talk of getting their ground game going.  The year that I have no shares, it looks like it could actually happen.

It’s only been 4 games but he looks so, so good. Just a smooth, powerful, shifty runner.

Patricia talking like he's saving kerryon for the playoffs, but I think he forgot he's in Detroit now.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1