Sign in to follow this  
Dominikk85

help a newbie with his team

Hi guys, I'm a new fantasy player. I actually have a couple years of reading and also a bit of research experience in sabermetrics but I'm still struggling a little bit getting the finer points of fantasy.

here is my team in a 12 team mixed h2h league with:

R, H, RBI, SB, HR, BB, AVG and IP (just 10 IP min per week), W, L,  SV, HLD, K, ERA, WHIP as categories. I actually lost all 3 of the 4 weeks so far with one tie so it is not starting well. have done well in ERA, WHIP, HLD and BB in hitting and  so-so in average, HR,SV, L, did really bad in RBI, R, saves, wins, Ks

Here is the team

C: realmuto, barnes

1B: Bell, olson, zimmerman (waiver), hoskins

2B: jose ramirez kingery, asdrubal cabrera (waiver pickup), barnes, schoop (DL)

SS: lindor, A. cabrera

3B:  jose ramirez, moran (waiver), A.cabrera

OF: Betts, hoskins, olson, kingery

Util (2 spots):  see above guys

2 bench spots

SP: quintana

SP: G. richards

SP: nola

P: ryu (waivers)

P: mikolas (waiver)

P: Buehler (waivers, will be dropped again when sent down)

RP: osuna

RP: madson

RP: devenski

BN: harris

BN: a.Reed

BN: T. hunter (waiver)

I will bench the excess starters on the days they are not starting (started doing that last week and it helped Ks and wins) and pitch the relievers on those days.

what would you do? just ride it out (slow starts by the indians guys and quintana of course did not help)? or make some moves?

Edited by Dominikk85

BTW the winner of each category gets a point so it only matters whether you win a cat. not how. we also want to turn this into a keeper league with 6 keepers next year. also is a draft league without a budget, trade and pickups are allowed.

Edited by Dominikk85

It would help if you can post which players you primarily use for each position (except SP of course). That way, you can analyze which bench players you can replace or change. I usually try to keep the batters to a minimum. Your goal should be to fill all those P and RP spots everyday with a RP that will either give you holds or saves and an occasional win. You can also find a RP (eligibility: SP, RP)  that you can slot into the SP spot who can provide you more holds/wins (there are very few of these, Seth Lugo, Brad Peacock for instance). And then you can keep enough SPs that you can compete with on a weekly basis. Hope this helps. Perhaps someone else has a different/better opinion...

• Like 1

C: realmuto

1b:Zimmerman

2b:kingery (recently cabrera in kingerys slump, when healthy schoop of  course)

Ss: lindor

3b:jram

Of: betts, hoskins, Olson)

Util: moran, bell

Rest bench

Part of your woes is just bad luck. Zimmerman, Lindor, Jram, Bell... all off to slow starts. Ramirez is starting to get hot though. Your lineup looks solid honestly. I like your line up the way you have it set, that's basically what I would do.

Pitching looks a bit rough. Ive never been a Quintana guy, Richards looks solid, Nola looks good, Ryu looks sharp but I don't trust his injury record, I like Mikolas...

Are any of this years emergent pitchers laying around in a 12 person league? Lucchesi, Pivetta, Mahle, Jarlin Garcia, Trevor Williams, Junior Guerra? You might even look at Kingham or Soroka.

Your lineup will come around. I also agree with what Sparty said. I typically have more pitchers than hitters, and try and grab someone like Peacock or Gsellman, Mike Montgomery, etc that you can plug in where ever. Also worth noting, in Yahoo leagues anyways, Jarlin Garcia, Junior Guerra, Colin McHugh, Clevenger, all qualify as an SP/RP. Check out Matt Koch too, he replaced Walker in Arizona.

Good luck. I think you'll turn it around

• Like 1

Thank you. So lineup should be good enough for a 12 team? Would you hold on to bell and olson? Which if just one of them.

Do I need try trade for an  ace? I was trying to focus on relievers due to the low inning limit, but it kills me in Ks and  wins, while holds and era were decent.

Getting a double eligible pitcher would definitely help.

Any other tips?

I would just about have to flip a coin to decide who to keep Bell vs Olson. The A's have a great offense, but the Pirates are hot right now. I'd maybe lean towards Olson, just for the 1B/RF eligibility.

An ace could help, but you'd have to move Lindor or JRam, Betts or Hoskins most likely. You could try to buy low on a struggling pitcher like Darvish? Kershaw is like 1 and 4 and the Dodgers just lost Seager for the year. Greinke is struggling too. Maybe try and swap a slow starting Lindor for a struggling ace? But will any of them turn it around?

You could also roll the dice on someone who plays for a great team. I think C.C. Sabathia is going to have a good year. Ivan Nova is capable of good numbers , Chase Anderson?

So rather a starter  or double eligible than a reliever?

What about the lineup? Is there a category that should be beefed up?