NYR Fan 116894

Nyheim Hines 2018 Outlook

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/04/28/insider-colts-add-offensive-pizzazz-day-3-draft-after-building-up-lines/562008002/

They came away with a nice haul, headlined by Hines, a player with the fastest 40-yard dash time at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine. Hines, picked from North Carolina State with the fourth pick in the fourth round (No. 104 overall), brings with him a very unique skill set that should enable him to be a factor in the offense as both a runner and receiver.

Hines played two years of receiver in college then moved to the backfield after a logjam there cleared prior to his third season. Hines said multiple teams discussed drafting him and making him a permanent slot receiver. That’s a strong indication he’ll play both running back and slot receiver in Indianapolis, according to coach Frank Reich. Hines isn’t exactly a complementary player to second-year back Marlon Mack – who is also something of a scatback – but, together, the two have a chance to do some creative things in Reich’s inventive offense.

“I look forward to going out there in the slot and being that mismatch guy like Darren Sproles and Alvin Kamara and Christian McCaffery,” Hines said. “Those are the players I’m similar to, so I’m excited to have a chance to do that in Indianapolis.”

Coach Frank Reich said of Hines, "When a guy has elite speed like that, it’s all about trying to get him the ball in space, on the move."

9 hours ago, AtomShifter said:

Late round? Dude is going in the 2nd in many drafts.

Hes not talking about rookie drafts. 

• Like 1

He was very good at NC State. He's fast as anything and still had decent power in college. We will see in the pros at rb but someone is getting carries there. 

They also drafted the Wilkins kid from Ole Miss.

As useful as Hines may be as a weapon in some offensive sets, can there be anything but a RBBC incoming in Indy?  

Can someone who knows Hines well explain how it is possible that he'll get >50% of the snaps his rookie season, especially if PS tells us that Mack is going to begin the year as the starter?  

Finally, if we confine ourselves to PPR, what is the likelihood that Hines produces better than Cohen?  

6 minutes ago, Mattice1 said:

"... but someone is getting carries there." 

9 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

"They also drafted the Wilkins kid from Ole Miss. As useful as Hines may be as a weapon in some offensive sets, can there be anything but a RBBC incoming in Indy?... Finally, if we confine ourselves to PPR, what is the likelihood that Hines produces better than Cohen?"  

May want to keep an eye on Matt Jones. Could be misplaced optimism, but if opportunity knocks, don't be shocked if he overtakes that thing. Hines is shifty, built low to the ground & runs low. Maximum workload - 12 touches, give or take. But for a guy that can hit home runs, in that offense, that could be enough. Short, with short arms, tiny catch radius, not as polished a route runner as his production may suggest. Not in there to block, pound up inside or go vertical.     

5 hours ago, petekrum said:

Hes not talking about rookie drafts. 

Fair enough, the amount of rookie drafts I am doing, you would think its all that exists right now. lol

3 hours ago, markrc99 said:

May want to keep an eye on Matt Jones. Could be misplaced optimism, but if opportunity knocks, don't be shocked if he overtakes that thing. Hines is shifty, built low to the ground & runs low. Maximum workload - 12 touches, give or take. But for a guy that can hit home runs, in that offense, that could be enough. Short, with short arms, tiny catch radius, not as polished a route runner as his production may suggest. Not in there to block, pound up inside or go vertical.     

Waived, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Waived, lol. 

I want all the Wilkins and Hines. 

Hines will be the main guy here. Mack didnt impress. But I see a 60/40 split of some sort. Hines with the most upside... JMO

5 hours ago, boltup15 said:

I want all the Wilkins and Hines. 

I don't know what to make of this backfield. Going into the draft, I saw Hines as a complimentary piece. He's as fast as they come, but he looks more like an athlete than a RB, if that makes sense. He got drafted earlier than I would have thought and into a good situation. I'm still skeptical about his odds of getting enough play to be fantasy relevant, but his arrow is pointing up. 

Wilkins looks good in highlights, but he has no physicality to his game. He doesn't run hard, he doesn't fight through contact, and he doesn't seem to break many tackles. To me, those are huge red flags when making the leap to the NFL. 

Mack, on the other hand, looked like he belonged when he got the chance last season. 

11 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Wilkins looks good in highlights, but he has no physicality to his game. He doesn't run hard, he doesn't fight through contact, and he doesn't seem to break many tackles. To me, those are huge red flags when making the leap to the NFL. 

I didn’t see any of that as an issue. He looked perfectly fine when it came to running hard, fighting through contact breaking ankles. 

The issue with Mack to me is that I don’t think the team is sold on him. They didn’t have any depth and rightfully drafted two rb’s in rounds 4 and 5. However, in last year’s abysmal season, the team didn’t test Mack out over old man Gore. To me that’s a real red flag. Wilkins is more of a one, two down back than Mack is imo and is better between the tackles. Hines is a better third down back than Mack imo. One thing I’ve read about Wilkins though is that his pass protection is horrible, so that could keep him off the field since protecting Luck will be important. But Mack should start off the year like Langford did with the Bears in 2016 with a shot to produce early and keep the role. 

10 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

I didn’t see any of that as an issue. He looked perfectly fine when it came to running hard, fighting through contact breaking ankles. 

The issue with Mack to me is that I don’t think the team is sold on him. They didn’t have any depth and rightfully drafted two rb’s in rounds 4 and 5. However, in last year’s abysmal season, the team didn’t test Mack out over old man Gore. To me that’s a real red flag. Wilkins is more of a one, two down back than Mack is imo and is better between the tackles. Hines is a better third down back than Mack imo. One thing I’ve read about Wilkins though is that his pass protection is horrible, so that could keep him off the field since protecting Luck will be important. But Mack should start off the year like Langford did with the Bears in 2016 with a shot to produce early and keep the role. 

Mack was a 4th round pick who had less than 100 carries last year. There was no way the Colts were going into the season with him basically alone on the depth chart. I don't think it's an indictment of their faith in him that they used a couple mid round picks on RBs. They also passed on a lot of running backs earlier in the draft. 

I wouldn't expect a rookie 4th or 5th rounder to pass a second year 4th rounder early in the season. This should be one of the more compelling backfields to watch heading into the season. 

16 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Mack was a 4th round pick who had less than 100 carries last year. There was no way the Colts were going into the season with him basically alone on the depth chart. I don't think it's an indictment of their faith in him that they used a couple mid round picks on RBs. They also passed on a lot of running backs earlier in the draft. 

I wouldn't expect a rookie 4th or 5th rounder to pass a second year 4th rounder early in the season. This should be one of the more compelling backfields to watch heading into the season. 

It’s definitely possible. But still you have to admit that the Colts unwillingness to give Mack significant volume is pretty strange right?

Additionally, this is an IF, but CJA to the Colts seems like a trade that could happen. Colts have a lot of cap space, CJA FA on the market and no vets to protect Luck?

Edited by boltup15
  • Like 1

I think it's more about their weird love of Gore than anything against Mack. No matter who is next in line,  it makes no sense to start a 57 year old RB when your season is over. 

Anderson is a possibility. So is, *shudder*, DeMarco Murray. 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

"I don't know what to make of this backfield. Going into the draft, I saw Hines as a complimentary piece. He's as fast as they come, but he looks more like an athlete than a RB, if that makes sense. He got drafted earlier than I would have thought and into a good situation. I'm still skeptical about his odds of getting enough play to be fantasy relevant, but his arrow is pointing up. 

Wilkins looks good in highlights, but he has no physicality to his game. He doesn't run hard, he doesn't fight through contact, and he doesn't seem to break many tackles. To me, those are huge red flags when making the leap to the NFL. Mack, on the other hand, looked like he belonged when he got the chance last season." 

I don't know about Wilkins but Mack's ADP has shot up better than 2 full rounds in just the past week or so, so he'll be viewed as a guy in any number of leagues. He was an early entry with questions regarding his work ethic & other concerns.  Big play threat, absolutely,  but in his latest meme, Reich acknowledges that they don't have a full-time starter. Hines you can probably get after your draft is over. For me, Mack is a weak lead & I wouldn't draft him.  

Edited by markrc99
spelling

Messy backfield, the guy who pass protects the best gets the most snaps

On 5/1/2018 at 7:18 AM, Rolling Thunder said:

As useful as Hines may be as a weapon in some offensive sets, can there be anything but a RBBC incoming in Indy?  

Depends how good Wilkins is.  Hines can be that joker that lines up anywhere but he's not going to take meaningful rushing volume from Mack or Wilkins.  

Turbin is still there, too.

Agree, the more I think, the more messy it looks.

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

Messy backfield, the guy who pass protects the best gets the most snaps

If that were true Rashaad Penny wouldn't have been a 1st round pick.

I think whoever runs better in practice will get the ball.  Although to me Mack and Hines are both satellite backs.

3 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

If that were true Rashaad Penny wouldn't have been a 1st round pick.

I think whoever runs better in practice will get the ball.  Although to me Mack and Hines are both satellite backs.

I'm not sure what Penny has to do with the Colts but i think the priority early on is protecting Luck who returns from injury, so the rb who gives Luck the best pass protect will get the most snaps.

9 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm not sure what Penny has to do with the Colts but i think the priority early on is protecting Luck who returns from injury, so the rb who gives Luck the best pass protect will get the most snaps.

Maybe they just won't have their 190 lb RB's pass blocking too often.

10 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Maybe they just won't have their 190 lb RB's pass blocking too often.

Maybe they won't  but pass protection was one of the main areas Gore was valuable and why he was the starter for years :)

29 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Maybe they won't  but pass protection was one of the main areas Gore was valuable and why he was the starter for years :)

All that being said I think C.J. Anderson is a lock to sign in Indy.