murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

1 hour ago, vthunder said:

It would be smart to give Holland the phantom DL stint and let him work it out in the minors.  

The going theory among STL fans is that the Cardinals will never do phantom DL stints, because they had people who worked on the last CBA's DL rules. So it would look too bad (theoretically in their minds I guess), if one of the people who was on the rules committee (Mozeliak) started skirting the rules.

Personally, yeah I'd love them to do that with Holland and possibly some of the position players too. But it's not going to happen unless he has a real injury, which with the way he's throwing the ball is honestly totally possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, svtballa said:

Surprised not more  love for Carl Edwards JR.  Has been a monster all year.  I can imagine him not getting a chance to close.

Yes, I can also imagine him not getting a chance to close. Carl has been very good. But yeah... so has Morrow. BM currently is rocking a 0.00 era, had 7 saves in the month of April and only gave up 3 total hits. Carl should be stashed in deep leagues because of Morrow injury history and unproven track record. Also, Carl is obviously nice in holds league and good for ratios. 

But bottom line... Morrow has been really reallly good. 

Edited by LarryDavid
  • Like 1

Kenyan to the DL with an elbow injury.

Bedro?

5 minutes ago, CAT said:

Bedro?

Whoa! Yea I would think so. 

Bedrosian has to be the guy to close now.

with Mike Scioscia as manager it could be anyone that gets to close. it could be veteran Jim Johnson. :huh:

Edited by SpecialFNK

Thanks for those saves Middleton. Fun while it barely lasted. 

Any chance he keeps the job if he performs as well as or better than Middleton? Or is the general feeling that Middleton gets the job back no matter what? 

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Any chance he keeps the job if he performs as well as or better than Middleton? Or is the general feeling that Middleton gets the job back no matter what? 

If Bedrock pitches well, I think he keeps it. But what do I know. I thought Middleton would be last in turn to get saves early in the season.

As an Angel fan, I have no clue what goes on in Scioscia's mind...aside from it being most likely food related.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, CAT said:

Bedro?

KEYNAN!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Bedrosian has to be the guy to close now.

with Mike Scioscia as manager it could be anyone that gets to close. it could be veteran Jim Johnson. :huh:

"We're gonna give Shohei a look in the 9th..."

6 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

If Bedrock pitches well, I think he keeps it. But what do I know. I thought Middleton would be last in turn to get saves early in the season.

As an Angel fan, I have no clue what goes on in Scioscia's mind...aside from it being most likely food related.

Also an Angel fan and Scoscia was consistent with Street as well as with Middleton.

The weird usage has more to to with Bedrosian's glass body than Scoscia's presumed fickleness.

Bedrosian as the lead closer  = default closer by committee.

Edited by Magoo

damn it could be any of multiple pitchers taking over as Angels closer. Bedrosian, Jim Johnson, Jose Alvarez.

I doubt it's Blake Parker, or Justin Anderson.

I don't know if anyone expected it to be Bud Norris last season.

Edited by SpecialFNK

For what it's worth, Bedrock got the last save chance when Middleton was unavailable. Bedrock has been pretty unreal lately.

3 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Also an Angel fan and Scoscia was consistent with Street as well as with Middleton.

Fair point.  I also have warm & fuzzy memories of '09 Brian Fuentes.

• Like 1

Middleton's last game was a blown save on the 27th. that game had these pitchers.. Heaney for 5, Johnson (6), Bedrosian (7), JAnderson (8), Middleton (9) BS, BParker (extra) LOSS.

EDIT:

http://closermonkey.com/test/2018/05/01/keynan-middleton-to-the-dl/

Los Angeles Angels — Keynan Middleton was placed on the DL with elbow inflammation. No other information was released. In his stead, we bet Cam Bedrosian will lead the committee to start, but this is a fluid situation. One beat writer likes Justin Anderson as the next closer, while old friend Blake Parker could factor into the late-inning plans, too.

Edited by SpecialFNK

so much scrambling for who is next up for LA, not much mention to the actual issue with Middleton.

• Like 1

Justin Anderson was compared to Edwin Diaz on Twitter by a Seattle Sports Nation writer. Would be an interesting dude to speculate on...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

so much scrambling for who is next up for LA, not much mention to the actual issue with Middleton.

Keep this in mind. Garrett Richards originally left the game with dehydration (according to the Angels medical staff) and was later diagnosed with a torn UCL. So elbow inflamation sounds catastrophic compared to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This Angels situation feels like I’ll be disappointed soon when I grad a bunch of shares of Bedrosian only to find out somebody I never heard gets the closer gig after I’ve already gone to bed. Seriously, who is Justin Anderson? His minor league stats look pretty meh to me.

Edit: I did my own research and found an interesting recent article on him: https://halohangout.com/2018/04/30/from-double-a-to-the-los-angeles-angels-justin-anderson-is-special/

Edited by meh2

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

This Angels situation feels like I’ll be disappointed soon when I grad a bunch of shares of Bedrosian only to find out somebody I never heard gets the closer gig after I’ve already gone to bed. Seriously, who is Justin Anderson? His minor league stats look pretty meh to me.

Made his start against Houston and showed great velocity. Heard he got up to 99 per radio. Although he’s from the Houston area and had family there so might have been adrenaline. I saw him pitch at home and he touched 97-98. Solid fastball with decent command. Gaining some hype in the Angel fan base.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, svtballa said:

Surprised not more  love for Carl Edwards JR.  Has been a monster all year.  I can imagine him not getting a chance to close.

The way they are protecting Morrow I expect him to last the year. 

3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The STL closer situation is just bizarre.

Bizarre because you have a "closer", who was signed late and, although he makes big $$$, is clearly not right and is having his "spring training" for all intents and purposes during regular season games.

Can't recall seeing anything like it.

Kenley? 

But your point remains.  Holland should have been in the minors for 30 days.

Cobb and Lynn should have too.

• Like 1

Inflammation is a symptom.  There’s something in the arm causing stress and swelling. 

• Thanks 1

I was at the game where he pitched against the Yankees. He was able to strike out 3 in 1.2innings. Showed a lot of confidence. I’ve been touting Cam as the replacement for a few weeks and I would guess he gets first shot. But if he falters maybe Anderson gets a try. 

• Like 1