murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

On 22/05/2018 at 10:02 PM, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

What’s the cutoff when it comes to asking why relief pitchers with ERAs over 5 and WHIPs over 1.50 aren’t closing? Is it 30 games into the season? 40? Asking for a friend. 

Soria had a 19/3 k/BB ratio. Yes his ERA was bad in a small sample but he was very unlucky.

If the WSox wanted Jones to be the closer they should've just opened with him as the closer

15 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I don't doubt Herrera gets traded, but are the Astros really looking to buy another RP?  I get that Hinch seems to feel shaky about Giles, but Herrera's and Giles' peripherals look almost identical so far this year, other than Herrera has gotten a little luckier with an unsustainable 95+% LOB rate.  And as shaky as Giles was at times last year, Herrera was worse.

That would just be a case of a shiny new toy that Hinch thinks is better than the toys he's already been playing with.  At some point they have to stop throwing away prospects for more pitching and win with what they got - and their bullpen is already deep enough they could shut you out running out all RP for 9 innings.

I've felt like a healthy Britton eventually ends up in Houston. I feel like Houston has a great pen but they could use a lefty in there too. Baltimore will be sellers and keeping Britton makes no sense for them. Houston will move a prospect and may even get Britton a little cheaper than Herrera given the injury. 

Just imagine seeing them in the playoffs. Verlander, Cole, Kuechel and Morton as a 4 man rotation coming at you and then they have McCullers, Peacock, Devenski, McCugh, Rondon and then Britton. Maybe even get Britton and 1 of O'Day/Brach from the O's to upgrade from Sipp and Joe Smith. 

Yanks and Astros are 2 teams that do really need upgrades as they are both WS contenders right now, however they both arguably have the most assets of anyone in baseball and will almost certainly be looking to upgrade, and pitching/bullpen is usually always the main focus. Neither team needs Herrera or Britton but that doesn't mean they won't be after one.

16 hours ago, cdd10 said:

braves are linked to mous and herrera apparently too 

Braves make a ton of sense. 

Angels are a no brainer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PPolanco said:

Soria had a 19/3 k/BB ratio. Yes his ERA was bad in a small sample but he was very unlucky.

If the WSox wanted Jones to be the closer they should've just opened with him as the closer

Are his 2016-17 numbers (3.89ERA/1.35WHIP)   a big enough sample size for you? Closers with numbers like that don't stay closers for long and no one should be shocked that he pitched himself out of being the exclusive option for that bullpen. 

57 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Braves make a ton of sense. 

Angels are a no brainer.

Braves would be bad for Herrera owners, no? Viz hasn't done anything to lose the job

Angels would prob make owners a lot more happy since Parker doesn't seem to want the gig very badly

4 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Braves would be bad for Herrera owners, no? Viz hasn't done anything to lose the job

Angels would prob make owners a lot more happy since Parker doesn't seem to want the gig very badly

Viz hasn’t pitched well (see: BB rate, FIP, xFIP) despite decent ERA. He’s a gas can. I’d think Herrera replaces him, if acquired.

• Like 2

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Colome traded to Mariners. Now what in Tampa?

I am gambling on Alvarado esp with Romo getting starts.  Who knows. 

2 minutes ago, mtw02 said:

I am gambling on Alvarado esp with Romo getting starts.  Who knows. 

This

11 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Colome traded to Mariners. Now what in Tampa? Alvarado? Is he worth an add?

Who knows, Cash is unpredictable. Rarely see teams go with lefty in closer role in these situations. Im adding Chaz Roe. 

Alvarado is the easy choice, but the Rays will do something unconventional.

3 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Alvarado is the easy choice, but the Rays will do something unconventional.

Chris Archer?

• Haha 1

They will bring in a different guy for each out ? 

• Like 2

I would think no chance that Colome is closing in Seattle the way Edwin Diaz is pitching.

2 minutes ago, mtw02 said:

They will bring in a different guy for each out ? 

And put the other guy in RF?  They can play match ups back and forth.

Say this situation, Alvarado comes in to face a lefty with a 4 run lead and gets him out, then they bring in Roe and put Alvarado in RF.  Roe allows three runs, Alvarado then comes back to pitch and strikes out the final two hitters.  Is Alvarado credited with a save?

5 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I would think no chance that Colome is closing in Seattle the way Edwin Diaz is pitching.

Of course not lol. Doesn'tt even need to be discussed.

Edited by terminator10

The Romo 1st inning experiment is working well so I doubt they move him to the closer.

People speculating committee and it very well might be but the Rays have had 1 exclusive closer forever. Even when Colome was really struggling he always closed.

Edit: and re to Alvarado being a lefty. Jonny Venters is also a lefty so I don't see that being a deterrent if they want to go the Alvarado route

Edited by PPolanco
  • Like 1

Wilmer Font has been traded from Oakland to the Rays. I doubt he's going to be the closer but it's another bullpen option.

If given the chance, Alvarado can be the next Zach Britton.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 9703 said:

If given the chance, Alvarado can be the next Zach Britton.

I admittedly haven't followed that closely, he's this good?

Colome is the closer! 

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I admittedly haven't followed that closely, he's this good?

Lefty, Average FB velocity of 98 mph, about a K per inning, groundball rate of 64%, strong against both lefties and righties, lots of weak contact, etc. 

Also, if the Rays are into developing a closer of the future (even though they seem like an organization that wouldn't care about roles), Alvarado is only 23. 

I think he has the stuff to be a stud. 

• Like 2

is there any chance the rays throw chirinos into the closer mix when he returns? or is he gonna stay in the rotation?