murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

If (When) Herrera is traded is it more likely that he becomes closer of his new team, or that he is sent to a setup role? This Colome trade has me scared that Herrera will be dealt sooner than later, and I'd like to get some value out of him while I can if possible. Most contenders have stability at the back end of the bullpen, but maybe a team like the Twins would deal for him?

What are the chances they shift Romo to the closer role and Alvarado to a romo-starter? I doubt they want to increase Alvarado’s arbitration costs with meaningless saves. They could also boost Romo’s trade value by showing him to be a viable closer.

With Clippard's two blow-ups in his last three outings, has there been any word on Toronto's closer situation? Still Clippard, or are they looking at other options? 

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

With Clippard's two blow-ups in his last three outings, has there been any word on Toronto's closer situation? Still Clippard, or are they looking at other options? 

Gibbons is paraphrased as saying not necessarily Clippard in the 9th anymore. Tepera likely, could be Oh or Axford for the extra grit

Edited by itaos
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

If (When) Herrera is traded is it more likely that he becomes closer of his new team, or that he is sent to a setup role? This Colome trade has me scared that Herrera will be dealt sooner than later, and I'd like to get some value out of him while I can if possible. Most contenders have stability at the back end of the bullpen, but maybe a team like the Twins would deal for him?

I think the Braves will make a push for him, they need bullpen help bad. 

2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Chris Archer?

He'd be one hell of a closer, but no. :)

1 hour ago, jstep13 said:

Colome is the closer! 

*golf clap*

• Haha 1

Alvarado has to be a must-add at this point, am I right? If he is the closer, he has good numbers and seems like he could run away with it. 

2 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

Who knows, Cash is unpredictable. Rarely see teams go with lefty in closer role in these situations. Im adding Chaz Roe. 

Ryne Stanek could be an option as well. At this point if only one spot to add it has to be Alvarado though.
(edit: Looks like Stanek is starting now)

Edited by knuckleheads

Roeing with Chaz. 

Alvarado long gone. 

We might see some committee matchups to start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Wilmer Font has been traded from Oakland to the Rays. I doubt he's going to be the closer but it's another bullpen option.

This guy shouldn't be in the majors right now.   He's an absolute disaster.

Now watch him win the job, ha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

All depends on where he goes. 

LAA?  He better be the closer.

ATL?  Who knows but I'd put him there. 

Jays up 6-3 over the Phillies.

- Oh in the 7th

- Clippard warming up for the 8th  *Loup may come in to face Odubel and maybe to turn Santana around Loup not warming up; inning is all Clippard's.

- Tepera likely to get the save opp if this lead holds

Edited by Blight
  • Like 1

Put Oh in the closer role and be done with it.  Experiment is not working in Toronto.

• Thanks 1

Tapera gets a shot at it tonight and looks like a complete train wreck.

• Thanks 1

Knebel struggling a little bit...

Knebel's swinging strike rate is down this year. 

Just now, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Whoa next in line?

DARTH HADER

Who's next in line?  Knebel.  This was unfortunately ugly, but this was his first truly shaky performance since coming off the DL.  His first appearance was a HR, but that was all he had given up run wise up until tonight, and only two hits total.

Oh should get the next chance, has the experience and Clippard and Tepera seem incapable of getting it done.

Put Hader at closer and be done with it...let him pitch three innings every time. Knebel is toast

2 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Knebel is toast

It's sad that it's difficult to tell whether this is sarcasm or foreal

4 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Put Hader at closer and be done with it...let him pitch three innings every time. Knebel is toast

1 minute ago, The Waker said:

I'm sadly going with it's serious since it happens all the time on here.

1 minute ago, The Waker said:

CHoked and needed to be bailed out against the freaking Mets and era creeping near 5. Brewers would be fools not to let Hader handle the 8th and 9th from here on out