murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

48 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

Tapera gets a shot at it tonight and looks like a complete train wreck.

He's been struggling lately...given up 5 ER in his last 10 outings...6 walks, 11 hits in that stretch. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

CHoked and needed to be bailed out against the freaking Mets and era creeping near 5. Brewers would be fools not to let Hader handle the 8th and 9th from here on out

Managers don't become managers by making knee jerk reactions like this.

This is the first run or HIT he's given up in his last 6 appearances.  He only had one walk during that span as well.

If it happens again he might start thinking about using Hader more in the 9th..... but Knebel's got a long leash

Edited by The Waker
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

CHoked and needed to be bailed out against the freaking Mets and era creeping near 5. Brewers would be fools not to let Hader handle the 8th and 9th from here on out

Yes, one bad appearance out of seven since coming off the DL and he should be removed from the role.  Not like Kimbrel hasn't blown any saves this season.  Not saying he's as good as Kimbrel, but everyone should get the idea.

I'm sorry, but this one of the worst posts I've read on here in a long time, although knee jerk reactions like this are all too common here.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

Yes, one bad appearance out of seven since coming off the DL and he should be removed from the role.  Not like Kimbrel hasn't blown any saves this season.  Not saying he's as good as Kimbrel, but everyone should get the idea.

I'm sorry, but you just killed any credibility any of your posts carry from here on out with that post.

I had credibility?!?! I own Knebel and hope you are right. I sold him in one league and was too late in another.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Dr. Whom said:

I had credibility?!?! I own Knebel and hope you are right. I sold him in one league and was too late in another.

I actually thought I went a bit far there and changed my post while you were responding.  Even so, it was an absolute joke.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I actually thought I went a bit far there and changed my post while you were responding.  Even so, it was an absolute joke.

No worries...it is the manner in how he blew the save. Loads the bases on walks and gives up a single to Jose Bautista with no K's.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

I had credibility?!?! 

No one doubts the credentials of a DOCTOR

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And Cody Allen was brought in tonight why? Not like he hasn’t pitched lately, smh...

29 minutes ago, The Waker said:

So Jansen appears to be back to normal

On April 17, Jansen gave up 2 ER to elevate his ERA to 8.10 and WHIP to 1.65. Since then, he's pitched 16 innings, allowing just 1 ER and 13 baserunners. And aside from a 5-inning stretch with just one K, it appears that the punchouts are coming back. 

It's good to have Kenley back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WaKe21334 said:

Tapera gets a shot at it tonight and looks like a complete train wreck.

Man, he got the save and only gave up one earned run with a K, tough crowd, I think he gets the next shot too unless he blows it.

9 minutes ago, BooFinn said:

Man, he got the save and only gave up one earned run with a K, tough crowd, I think he gets the next shot too unless he blows it.

Four baserunners. If you want to win an open closer job, you don't allow four baserunners, especially when you've been struggling of late anyway. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Four baserunners. If you want to win an open closer job, you don't allow four baserunners, especially when you've been struggling of late anyway. 

He still got the the job done.  

7 hours ago, BooFinn said:

Forgot to mention he gave up 2 hits and 2 walks that inning loading the bases.  He was shaky. 

10 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Forgot to mention he gave up 2 hits and 2 walks that inning loading the bases.  He was shaky. 

Tepera has  4 career saves in 9 chances. This guy is no closer. 

3 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Not that I think Tepera is going to be a good closing option but most non-closing relief pitchers will have a bad ratio of saves to blown saves. When they blow a lead regardless of the inning they get charged with a blown save. In actuality those blown saves were blown holds.  Thus you pretty much have to look at total holds to blown saves to get an idea how effective he's been. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

11 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Not that I think Tepera is going to be a good closing option but most non-closing relief pitchers will have a bad ratio of saves to blown saves. When they blow a lead regardless of the inning they get charged with a blown save. In actuality those blown saves were blown holds.  Thus you pretty much have to look at total holds to blown saves to get an idea how effective he's been. 

He has 26 holds over 2017 and 2018, and yesterday was his first actual 9th inning traditional save opp. Basically he has 29 SV+HD in 34 opportunities, and is 1 for 1 in 'real' save opps. 

He was shaky yesterday, but I hope Gibbons gives him the next chance to see what he has and if he bounces back. Oh is really the only other option in that pen that's left, and I don't feel any better about his prospects than Tepera's. He's been a bit shaky in May, but he's going on over a year now pitching in high leverage situations with pretty good success. He was easily the best arm the Jays had out of the pen last year behind Osuna. 

• Like 1

Here's Seung Hwan Oh numbers in May. One bad game on the 17th.

2018 SEASON TOTALS
W-L SV K ERA WHIP
1-0 1 24 2.35 1.13
MOST RECENT GAMES
DATE OPP IP H ER BB K DEC
5/25 @Phi 1.0 0 0 1 2 HD
5/23 LAA 1.0 1 0 0 1 HD
5/19 Oak 1.2 0 0 1 1 HD
5/17 Oak 0.2 4 3 1 0  
5/12 Bos 1.1 1 0 0 2  
5/11 Bos 1.0 0 0 0 2  
5/9 Sea 1.0 0 0 0 1  
5/5 @TB 2.0 0 0 1 0  
5/3 @Cle 1.0 0 0 0 1  
5/1 @Min 1.0 0 0 0 2
  • Like 1

Managers blowing 1/3 of their FAAB on lefty Alvarado and I’m over here like 

47165434-4F14-42C1-998B-2291780F9CDF.jpeg

Yeah, I mean Oh has been good lately, but that's also pitching pretty low leverage mostly in the 5th/6th inning range. 

I'm also looking at the bigger picture / sample size. Oh was a closer last year and had a pretty rocky time with it, and was generally very up and down all year. IMO Tepera is the best long term answer, which should be more of the Jays' concern if they think Osuna is going to be gone long term. 

Clippard was "going with the best recent numbers" and look where that got them. Oh could have success in the role, but it would be nice to see him at least pitch something high leverage before jumping to him in the 9th. 

The Tampa situation is a difficult read. It should be Alvarado, but no clue if Cash heads that direction...

Sleeper (as mentioned up a ways) is Stanek...

ALvaredo is a lefty although he shows no noticeable splits...only way it is not him would be money

12 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

ALvaredo is a lefty although he shows no noticeable splits...only way it is not him would be money

Seems like we can’t exactly ignore the money aspect considering it is the Rays...