murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

4 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Seems like we can’t exactly ignore the money aspect considering it is the Rays...

Yep add now and hope for the best. He has the peripherals to be good so maybe they shed enough money in the trade for it not to matter

The Jays had a day off Thursday. Tepera threw 26 pitches last night 13 for strikes. If there's a save situation today do you think they go to Tepera? 

4 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

The Jays had a day off Thursday. Tepera threw 26 pitches last night 13 for strikes. If there's a save situation today do you think they go to Tepera? 

I think they would go with OH how I love Christie Brinkley

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

ALvaredo is a lefty although he shows no noticeable splits...only way it is not him would be money

Paying closers more than say a fireman is going out the door these days.  If they kept him a late innings guy like that and he does real well they would have to pay him as much as a closer on the Rays.  Closers have rapidly started to be not a big deal vs fireman types anymore except among the handful of elite, year-after-year ones still around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

The Tampa situation is a difficult read. It should be Alvarado, but no clue if Cash heads that direction...

Sleeper (as mentioned up a ways) is Stanek...

Looks like Stanek is doing the reliever/starter thing. 

Chaz Roe?

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Looks like Stanek is doing the reliever/starter thing. 

Chaz Roe?

Yeah him too, that slider is super nasty. Not sure how his splits are but I'm guessing he owns RHH with his slider piece.

23 hours ago, 9703 said:

Lefty, Average FB velocity of 98 mph, about a K per inning, groundball rate of 64%, strong against both lefties and righties, lots of weak contact, etc. 

Also, if the Rays are into developing a closer of the future (even though they seem like an organization that wouldn't care about roles), Alvarado is only 23. 

I think he has the stuff to be a stud. 

Hope you’re right. 

6 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Chaz Roe in the 9th up 5-1... is Alvarado the guy? 

Thats what I’m banking on

Dominguez was pinch hit for, and Williams hit a HR so now he's in line for the W

Just in time for Neris to come in and blow it 

8 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Chaz Roe in the 9th up 5-1... is Alvarado the guy? 

Or it could be Roe.  A lot of teams use their closer in that situation 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vthunder said:

Or it could be Roe.  A lot of teams use their closer in that situation 

Not sure much of a conclusion can be made from this outing tbh. He hadn't pitched in 3 days, so he was probably going today regardless

• Like 2

it looks like Romo is starting tomorrow, so I would rule him out of becoming closer.

• Haha 1

Apparently Kapler’s computer algorithm spit out Garcia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ziegler pounded again in a tied game. Gotta think it's very, very close to Barraclough time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, varock said:

Ziegler pounded again in a tied game. Gotta think it's very, very close to Barraclough time. 

I own zero shares of Ziegler, but maybe they should stop pitching him in non-save situations, LOL. He's 9/9 in save opps this year, but he keeps getting hammered in these non-save games...tie game today, up 5 a few nights ago...up 5 towards the end of April. In those three games came 10 of his 16 ER in 2.1 innings. Outside of those three outings, he's got a 2.75 ERA and a 0.97 ERA. In his 9 actual save opps, he has a 1.04 ERA and 0.81 WHIP. When called upon to save a game, he's been very good. 

As I said, I don't own Ziegler anywhere...and I actually own Barraclough in one league, so I'd love for him to finally overtake the submariner. 

• Like 4

Subtly, Jones came in for one out in the 8th  up 5 then gave way to Soria.  Jace Fry was probably unavailable

Hughes got himself in trouble, loading the bases with no out leading 6-5. but he got out of it without giving up a run to get the save.

2 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Hughes got himself in trouble, loading the bases with no out leading 6-5. but he got out of it without giving up a run to get the save.

Like I posted in the GameDay thread, in all fairness to Hughes, he pitched around CarGo to load the bases because nobody was covering 2nd on Iannetta's hit.  It would have been 1st and 3rd when CarGo came up.

Still, obviously not the cleanest save, but he got it without giving up a run.  I really thought he was going to ruin my ratios for the day, but he didn't, and I'll take it.

5 hours ago, meh2 said:

Apparently Kapler’s computer algorithm spit out Garcia.

dude has been making all the correct calls lately.  The one constant has been Sir Anthony doing the grunt work ahead of everyone.  Obviously, he's been too valuable as a fireman to be used as the fulltime closer.

Edited by knuckleheads

56 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Ziegler-

Saves- 9 for 9, 1.04 ERA and 0.81 WHIP

Non-save- 11.57 ERA and 2.07 WHIP.

Nasty at both extremes.  Kela and a few other closers also somewhat similar ride.  Wonder if it really is something or more happenstance?  I mean no one is buying that Ziegler is that good or that bad.