murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

Welp, so much for Romo. ?

Greene with another ugly save. 1 inning with 2 hits (one of those was a bases empty bomb) and 1 strikeout. 

Joe Jimenez pitched 1 inning with 3 strikeouts. 

• Thanks 1

Considering the Rays already tapped the keg for the trade deadline bullpen moves, I guess we can’t be too early stashing would be closers. 

Two best bets, IMO, are Jimenez in Detroit and Jace Fry in Chicago. I’d also bet a substantial sum of money that Kelvim Herrera is dealt, but I don’t think any of us have a firm grip on who would close. 

Fry isnt locked in just yet, but he seems to be the best pitcher in that pen by a mile. 

Keller pitched in front of Herrera in nearly all his saves in May, but he’s starting Wednesday against the twins. The rest of the KC pen looks like a bit of a dumpster fire. 

21 hours ago, street sharks said:

Chaz Roe in the 9th up 5-1... is Alvarado the guy? 

I cant really see anyone else in that pen closing over Alvarado now that they’re enamored with starting Romo. I know some of you guys think they’ll play arbitration games, but they didn’t with Colome. Why start now with Alvarado?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I cant really see anyone else in that pen closing over Alvarado now that they’re enamored with starting Romo. I know some of you guys think they’ll play arbitration games, but they didn’t with Colome. Why start now with Alvarado?

Because now days more and more smart teams use their best reliever in the fireman role, and Tampa thinks they are one of the smartest, so it kills two birds with one stone.  Not saying they won't make Alvarado the closer, but that's a possible answer to "Why start now with Alvarado?"

Just now, TopChuckie said:

Because now days more and more smart teams use their best reliever in the fireman role, and Tampa thinks they are one of the smartest, so it kills two birds with one stone.  Not saying they won't make Alvarado the closer, but that's a possible answer to "Why start now with Alvarado?"

Except your plausible answer is not to the right question. The question wasn’t,  “What’s the best deployment of Alvarado?”  The question was why would the Rays play games with Alvarado’s arbitration numbers (presumably by denying him the closer’s role) when they didn’t do that with Colome, under this same manager?

We can debate the best usage of the top bullpen arm in a pen, and perhaps that’s how they see Alvarado. The issue that’s been repeatedly raised, however, is arbitration. They pushed aside Boxberger off a 40+ save season to make Colome the closer, years before he hit arbitration. Alvarado won’t hit arbitration till 2021, and if he’s rolled off 2.5 years of successful closing, I would imagine the Rays have plenty of options - either paying him (still cheaper than a FA closer), or trading him with three years of team control remaining. 

The arbitration argument is tired and lazy. We can do better than that here. 

1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

Except your plausible answer is not to the right question. The question wasn’t,  “What’s the best deployment of Alvarado?”  The question was why would the Rays play games with Alvarado’s arbitration numbers (presumably by denying him the closer’s role) when they didn’t do that with Colome, under this same manager?

We can debate the best usage of the top bullpen arm in a pen, and perhaps that’s how they see Alvarado. The issue that’s been repeatedly raised, however, is arbitration. They pushed aside Boxberger off a 40+ save season to make Colome the closer, years before he hit arbitration. Alvarado won’t hit arbitration till 2021, and if he’s rolled off 2.5 years of successful closing, I would imagine the Rays have plenty of options - either paying him (still cheaper than a FA closer), or trading him with three years of team control remaining. 

The arbitration argument is tired and lazy. We can do better than that here. 

You asked why NOW, and I answered why NOW.  Back when Colome became closer, the fireman was less in vogue.  So when faced with the decision, "Do we use Colome as closer or do we try to keep his cost down?" at that time, closer was viewed as the most valuable role in the bullpen, so it was worth the added cost.  NOW closer is not viewed as the most valuable role, or at least the gap between closer and fireman has closed, so NOW it might be an easier sell, "We should keep Alvarado in the fireman role because it keeps his cost down, while he fills an equally or more valuable role than closer." 

Oh relieved Happ in the 7th and is now pitching the 8th. Not sure what he did to Gibbons to not get a chance at closing, but unless he pulls off the rare 7-out save, it’s not his turn today. 

27 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Considering the Rays already tapped the keg for the trade deadline bullpen moves, I guess we can’t be too early stashing would be closers. 

Two best bets, IMO, are Jimenez in Detroit and Jace Fry in Chicago. I’d also bet a substantial sum of money that Kelvim Herrera is dealt, but I don’t think any of us have a firm grip on who would close. 

Fry isnt locked in just yet, but he seems to be the best pitcher in that pen by a mile. 

Was just going to bring up Joe Jimenez, done my work for me. He's really pitching well and has a rare relief prospect pedigree! I'm a Greene owner and really tempted to start stashing him now, if Roe gamble doesn't work out I'm adding JJ.

So if Jones gets dealt odds are Fry is the guy? Wasn't so sure with him being lefty.

1 minute ago, TopChuckie said:

You asked why NOW, and I answered why NOW.  Back when Colome became closer, the fireman was less in vogue.  So when faced with the decision, "Do we use Colome as closer or do we try to keep his cost down?" at that time, closer was viewed as the most valuable role in the bullpen, so it was worth the added cost.  NOW closer is not viewed as the most valuable role, or at least the gap between closer and fireman has closed, so NOW it might be an easier sell, "We should keep Alvarado in the fireman role because it keeps his cost down, while he fills an equally or more valuable role than closer." 

Except we’re seeing arbitration numbers start to reflect the quality of the arm, not the saves statistic. I just don’t think cost is a factor at all when a guy has three years left of Team Control before he even hits FA. Not one iota. They could pay him the league minimum through 2020 and he can’t do a damn thing about it. 

• Like 1

Just now, swfcdan said:

Was just going to bring up Joe Jimenez, done my work for me. He's really pitching well and has a rare relief prospect pedigree! I'm a Greene owner and really tempted to start stashing him now, if Roe gamble doesn't work out I'm adding JJ.

So if Jones gets dealt odds are Fry is the guy? Wasn't so sure with him being lefty.

Idk on Fry, but Jones is an attractive arm on the trade market due to his years of success and his very team-friendly contract. Just like Robertson, Swarzak, and Kanle last year, Hahn has done well maximizing returns for his guys. I would expect him to sell Soria for a bucket of balls, and sell Jones for a solid return.

Then we’re looking at Fry vs Perpetual Disappointment Bruce Rondon. Fry looks nearly unhittable to me, so that would be my bet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rookies and cream said:

Felipe Vazquez did not look right and was grimacing and shaking/holding his left elbow once removed from the game. Hope he's not hurt!

Oh man - is it finally time to ride the lightning with Michael Feliz?  Kontos was DFA’d. Not sure what else Pittsburgh has. 

Tepera is going to get the save opp today.

Except we’re seeing arbitration numbers start to reflect the quality of the arm, not the saves statistic. I just don’t think cost is a factor at all when a guy has three years left of Team Control before he even hits FA. Not one iota. They could pay him the league minimum through 2020 and he can’t do a damn thing about it. 

Go ask Betances if that's true.  It should be true, but it's not.  Arbitrators use the Save stat, they don't use the WAR stat.  We're starting to see free agency reflect the quality of arm, but not so much arbitration.

Oh man - Kontos up next, right?  Or is it finally time to ride the lightning with Michael Feliz?

Pretty sure Kontos was DFA'd.

Giles and getting rocked in non-save opportunities, name a more iconic duo

• Haha 1

if something is wrong with Felipe, it looks like Michael Feliz is next in line. but he hasn't been good lately.

Just now, SpecialFNK said:

if something is wrong with Felipe, it looks like Michael Feliz is next in line. but he hasn't been good lately.

R-Rod has been pure filth. Why not him? 31/3 K/BB!

• Like 1

I’ve never watched Blake Parker pitch.  He’s pretty crazy to watch.  He hangs his arm down like Kimbrel then starts patting his glove and starts dancing

Tepera starts off his save opp with a leadoff walk...

Tepera better lock this one down smoothly with how well Oh has been pitching. Gibbons can’t be that stupid. Eventually he’ll turn to Final Boss if no one else gets the job done. 

4 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

R-Rod has been pure filth. Why not him? 31/3 K/BB!

The nicknames alone would be worth it. The guy’s name is Dick Rodriguez.

Dick Rod.

The Rodfather. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tepera gets it done with a double play to end it.