murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

closermonkey and rosterresource both have Michael Feliz next and Edgar Santana after that.

`

Edited by SpecialFNK

Vasquez still had his velocity. If that was lacking today I'd be more apt to press the panic button. 

Parker being used in the bottom of the 8th in an away game a pretty good indicator he's the guy for the Angels?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

The nicknames alone would be worth it. The guy’s name is Dick Rodriguez.

Dick Rod.

The Rodfather. 

Haha good ones.

Riddickulous.

3 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Astros bullpen melting down right now.

Giles is a headcase and Ramirez took him to 17 pitches and hit a double. I guarantee he'll be having nightmares of that AB tonight

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

closermonkey and rosterresource both have Michael Feliz next and Edgar Santana after that.

`

I grabbed Dick-Rod too, yeah I'm desperate for saves...But he could be the dark horse, having a tremendous year, by far superior to any other reliever.

It seems like Jeffress is going to get the 9th today instead of Knebel. Jeffress has basically become Hader without the K’s for the Brewers.

6 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

I grabbed Dick-Rod too, yeah I'm desperate for saves...But he could be the dark horse, having a tremendous year, by far superior to any other reliever.

he has been great with the K's, and also has closing experience in the minors with Baltimore.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=166285

Uh-oh.  After coming in to blow another game in very ugly fashion on Sunday, Pittsburgh Pirates closer Felipe Vazquez was seen in the team's dugout wincing and clutching his elbow/arm.  Vazquez had just given up a hit and two walks while getting just one out before being pulled for Steven Brault and that is when he was shown on local television in pain.  No word yet on if Vazquez is hurt but his 3.54 ERA and 1.43 WHIP continue to serve as a major disappointment. 

it seems like in these type of situations managers typically go with guy that was pitching before the closer.

`

Edited by SpecialFNK

6 minutes ago, 9703 said:

It seems like Jeffress is going to get the 9th today instead of Knebel. Jeffress has basically become Hader without the K’s for the Brewers.

Nevermind, looks like Knebel is coming in despite the double switch.

6 minutes ago, 9703 said:

Its Knebel and he's still pitching evil.

Knebel looked bad. If A-Cab didn't help him out swinging at balls and bad ump calls, he could've blown that.

Feliz had been rolling but he's allowed runs in 3 straight outings, 7 total in that stretch. Would be tough to place him in the 9th at the moment.

Monkey has Feliz > Santana next in line.  I have a feeling the way this year’s been it’ll be a committee of them plus Rodriguez.   

2 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I'd pass on Feliz. Metrics don't pass the test.

Well in my league it’s a rat race for closers.  Gotta roll the dice.  

• Like 1

rotoworld opinion.

Felipe Vazquez was forced to leave Sunday's game against the Cardinals with left forearm discomfort.

Vazquez was put in a tough spot on Sunday, coming on with the bases loaded and the Pirates holding a 4-3 lead in the eighth inning. He allowed an RBI single to Harrison Bader, walked Yadier Munoz to force in another run, allowed a third run to score on a fielder's choice, then walked Greg Garcia before departing. Vazquez was being treated and evaluated and was not available for comment after the game. If the injury forces him to miss some time, Michael Feliz would seemingly be the next man up in the ninth inning for the Pirates and could be worth a speculative add in all formats.

other than K's what has Michael Feliz done, in his career?? his ERA has been bad every season.

it sucks that speculation is Feliz since the Pirates have been using him in the 8th when by numbers there are better options.

I've only got one add left for the week and I'm gonna try Feliz. It's definitely up in the air, shoot your shot guys.

14 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I don't know what this means for his health going forward.

another opinion chart to add to the list..

https://www.fantasyguruelite.com/baseball/season-long-articles/2018-closer-grid-523

has Vasquez, Feliz, Rodriguez.

`

Another Middleton situation, adios Rivero umm Vazquez.

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

rotoworld opinion.

other than K's what has Michael Feliz done, in his career?? his ERA has been bad every season.

it sucks that speculation is Feliz since the Pirates have been using him in the 8th when by numbers there are better options.

Who gives a stuff about rotoworld. They just say that as he's been the 8th inning guy. Dick-Rod has much better K/BBs and no reason why he can't do the job.

Feliz has been pretty rough lately.  Not sure I’d be rushing to add him

this is some speculation..

http://www.thefantasysportsboss.com/2018/05/2018-fantasy-baseball-closing-time_60.html?spref=tw

Updating an earlier item, the video didn't lie as Pittsburgh Pirates closer Felipe Vazquez is to be examined after admitting to forearm discomfort while throwing his last two pitches in a very rough outing on Sunday.  Vazquez will likely have the requisite X-Rays and MRI to determine if the UCL is damaged but I don't have to tell you that he is your classic Tommy John victim given his young age and hard-throwing ability.  In terms of who would step up into Vazquez' place if he goes on the DL as anticipated, Michael Feliz has the big-time K rate that most closers do but he pitched to ERA's of 4.43 and 5.63 the last two seasons and after getting hit around Sunday (3 ER in .1 IP), his 2018 ERA rose to 5.32.  That is a tough pill to swallow in terms of owning him going forward and I would like to think Richard Rodriguez should get the first look as he has pitched great with a 1.40 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, and 31 K in just 19.1 IP.  I won't be adding Feliz shares given the ugly ratios but instead would be willing to take a shot on Rodriguez given how great he has pitched this season. 

I would hope Rodriguez gets a shot, but I hate the feeling that Hurdle could just go with Feliz.

• Like 1