murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I personally like Santana better as a spec play. Even if Feliz gets the job first, nothing in his history tells me he has the stuff to hold onto it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see Feliz being a good option. 

this is the same feliz from houston last year right? the one they used as a replacement for giles who had no clue how to close?

2 minutes ago, crazyfingers711 said:

Last 2 saves for Vazquez:  Feliz got the 8th innings and held down the fort

He's allowed 7 earned runs in his last 2 innings pitched (3 appearances).  He took the loss today.  He loaded the bases so Vazquez had to attempt a 5 out save today.... I mean, I think he'll get a shot because there's no one else with much experience but the only consistent thing about Feliz is inconsistency, going back to Houston.  He has good stuff though.

7 minutes ago, David Aames said:

this is the same feliz from houston last year right? the one they used as a replacement for giles who had no clue how to close?

Feliz has no saves in his professional career at the MLB level.......

1 minute ago, David Aames said:

Posted a 5.63 ERA and 1.56 WHIP in 2017 and who walked 22 in 48 innings and allowed 8 HR. 

Santana SHOULD be the guy, however, I think there is something being lost in the conversation.  I am sure that the GM, Neal Huntington, may have some say in this as well.  I am sure he wants to look 'smart' by getting Feliz in the Cole deal, so  I also suspect he gets the first crack at the job, but like others do believe Santana or Rodriguez have the better numbers to warrant it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Santana SHOULD be the guy, however, I think there is something being lost in the conversation.  I am sure that the GM, Neal Huntington, may have some say in this as well.  I am sure he wants to look 'smart' by getting Feliz in the Cole deal, so  I also suspect he gets the first crack at the job, but like others do believe Santana or Rodriguez have the better numbers to warrant it.

why should it be santana? because of his numbers tthis year in the 6th or 7th innings? was he any good before? pedigree?

3 minutes ago, David Aames said:

why should it be santana? because of his numbers tthis year in the 6th or 7th innings? was he any good before? pedigree?

He has a little bit of pedigree (on FG's top prospects in the Bucs system).  Young but has mid-high 90's 4 seamer and a slider.  Classic 2 pitch reliever and has closed in the minors.  And yes, he has better numbers but in a very limited sample size.

6 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Numbers this year plus he has some experience closing last year in AAA.  In 200 IP in the minors, he's got a 2.93 ERA and 1.18 WHIP with a little under a K/IP, 17 out of 20 in save opportunities.  Richard Rodriguez is also a possibility but in the minors he's only converted 13 out of 18 chances.  Realistically, the Bucs just don't have a lot of good options outside of these two and Feliz.

This is a rare case where the current guy is hurt and the obvious next in mine has pitched badly the last three outings.  If Feliz was pitching well this would be no question he’d be next man up.  How often do you see a guy that’s gotten clobbered the last three outings inherit the closer role?  If Feliz gets the next chance, he doesn’t have little rope, he has no rope.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Last three games for Feliz: 2 IP, 7 ER, 7 H/W, 2 K. He does not inspire confidence with a career 4.98 ERA and 1.35 WHIP. 

Stranger things have happened 

1 minute ago, crazyfingers711 said:

Stranger things have happened 

True. How crazy would it be if he got 25 saves with an ERA under 2.50, a whip under 1.00, and 11 k/9 for the remainder of the season? LOL. It'll never happen, but I'd trip out if he became a stud closer ROS. 

Might have been mentioned back in this thread but Austin Pruitt's save today (5 2/3 IP) has got to be one of the longest ever.  With relievers starting and starting pitchers relieving perhaps will see a few more like this.  No fantasy relevance in 12 teamers but...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

True. How crazy would it be if he got 25 saves with an ERA under 2.50, a whip under 1.00, and 11 k/9 for the remainder of the season? LOL. It'll never happen, but I'd trip out if he became a stud closer ROS. 

Treinen is a good example.  Maybe Kela too 

what happened when feliz replaced giles last year? wonder if its known in the clubhouse that feliz is only confident in the 8th

13 minutes ago, David Aames said:

what happened when feliz replaced giles last year? wonder if its known in the clubhouse that feliz is only confident in the 8th

Replaced him where?  On the DL?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Replaced him where?  On the DL?

when giles was ineffective feliz got first crack and failed big time

36 minutes ago, crazyfingers711 said:

Pirates might be a great landing spot for Kelvin Herrera.  Just saying 

Damn, Pirates as buyers...that is CRAZY.

25 minutes ago, David Aames said:

when giles was ineffective feliz got first crack and failed big time

I'm almost positive Feliz never got a shot to close in Houston. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David Aames said:

I was following Houston like a hawk trying to swoop in if Giles got replaced. Feliz was never in the mix. Will Harris and Luke Gregerson were. And Chris Devenski was pushing as the season wore on

1 minute ago, crookedmacs said:

I was following Houston like a hawk trying to swoop in if Giles got replaced. Feliz was never in the mix. Will Harris and Luke Gregerson were. And Chris Devenski was pushing as the season wore on

Correct statement.  He was well down the pecking order...       

5 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Correct statement.  He was well down the pecking order...       

i stand corrected...i was thinking of wil harris

I recall some hopeful discussion among the fantasy community about Feliz closing in Houston but I think it was before last year.