murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

Alvarado gets the 8th also. Looking efficient. 98 from the left. Throws strikes. I like it. Maybe even available for the 9th?

5 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Alvarado gets the 8th also. Looking efficient. 98 from the left. Throws strikes. I like it. Maybe even available for the 9th?

He's in for the 9th now, looks like they'll try and have him pitch 2 1/3.

Just now, PremiumPlus said:

He's in for the 9th now, looks like they'll try and have him pitch 2 1/3.

Aaaaand a double off the wall.  Sucky

8 minutes ago, David Aames said:

so is it chaz roe now??

Still uncertain

had Alvarado gotten thru the 9th I’d still bet on Alvarado. 

Andriese came in to finish 9th

6 hours ago, Skrappy1 said:

Weird, I can't find Adam in my ESPN league.  Is he really not in their player pool?  Seems strange for a guy who has already pitched in 7 games.

Very strange, I've never seen this before on ESPN.

Rays take the lead in the 13th. Johnny Venters is warming up. Could be to just face Matt Joyce then bring in Roe???

Edited by MissingLink

Just now, MissingLink said:

Rays take the lead in the 13th. Johnny Venters is warming up.

odd.....chaz should be available shouldnt he??

3 minutes ago, David Aames said:

odd.....chaz should be available shouldnt he??

Decided to leave Stanek in. 

Just showed Venters and Schultz warming up in the pen. No sign of Roe

Edited by MissingLink

8 minutes ago, MissingLink said:

Decided to leave Stanek in. 

Just showed Venters and Schultz warming up in the pen. No sign of Roe

What a fantasy cluster this TB pen is going to be. 

• Like 2

Just now, MissingLink said:

Venters with the save.

good for venters. what a comeback by him after 3 TJ's

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mdpharm23 said:

Oh ok so when he said he “expects to be available tomorrow”, he meant he expects to be available for living life and running errands, not playing baseball. I’m glad he’ll still be alive, thanks for clearing that up. 

If it came from the mouth of Vazquez, I wouldn't trust it. I learned a long time ago to not trust anything a player says about his own injury. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

So is Jason Adam really not in ESPNs database?  

I have seen this type thing happen on ESPN before, so I would say it's not out of the question

Even despite Richard Rodriguez's mini-blow up today (was singled to death) he's been one of the best relievers in baseball this year, with the peripherals to match the dominance. He absolutely destroyed the minor leagues in 2017 and has done nothing but capitalize during his major league callup in 2018. 

Am i crazy for thinking with Felipo Rivero out that Rodriguez should be one of the hottest adds in the league right now?

49 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Even despite Richard Rodriguez's mini-blow up today (was singled to death) he's been one of the best relievers in baseball this year, with the peripherals to match the dominance. He absolutely destroyed the minor leagues in 2017 and has done nothing but capitalize during his major league callup in 2018. 

Am i crazy for thinking with Felipo Rivero out that Rodriguez should be one of the hottest adds in the league right now?

I think he's third on the list behind Feliz and Santana. RichRod has been a stud, but Hurdle might like him better in a fireman-type role if either Feliz or Santana can hold down the 9th inning. Rod is probably the best option they have to get a lead safely to the 9th inning. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I think he's third on the list behind Feliz and Santana. RichRod has been a stud, but Hurdle might like him better in a fireman-type role if either Feliz or Santana can hold down the 9th inning. Rod is probably the best option they have to get a lead safely to the 9th inning. 

He doesn't even have a hold so we can't even say Hurdle likes him in the fireman role. True as it may look to us...

Edited by knuckleheads

What evidence do we have that Rodriguez has been pigeonholed into a fireman role? 

Santana & Feliz are mediocre relievers with smoke and mirror success this season.

Rodriguez is one of the best relievers in the league. With all kinds of uncertainty in that Pirates' bullpen Rodriguez is a must add/hold even if he isn't initially called on to close. His era/whip/k/9 are filthy with the peripherals to match. If he starts getting saves he might be one of the biggest RP adds of the season.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

1 minute ago, knuckleheads said:

He doesn't even have a hold so we can't even say Hurdle likes him in the fireman role. True as it may look to us...

I didn't say Hurdle does...I said he might :). Once he sits back and takes a look at it. 

1 minute ago, EmbargoLifted said:

What evidence do we have that Rodriguez has been pigeonholed into a fireman role? 

Santana & Feliz are garbage with smoke and mirror success this season.

Rodriguez is one of the best relievers in the league. Right now with all kinds of uncertainty in that bullpen Rodriguez is a must add/hold even if he isn't initially called on in that role. His peripherals are just filthy right now with a k/9 in the mid teens. I think the fantasy baseball world is asleep big time on this one.

I didn't say he's pigeon-holed...I said Hurdle "might" like him better there...ie, speculation. 

And Santana is not garbage and his 2018 success has not been smoke and mirrors. His FIP fully supports his current ERA...he hasn't walked many batters...isn't giving up many HR. Out of curiosity, what numbers are you looking at that say his 2018 success has been smoke and mirrors?

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

I didn't say Hurdle does...I said he might :). Once he sits back and takes a look at it. 

Yes sure I get it. However, in my mind it might be better to say he might be used by Hurdle for some l holds situations.  It's partly semantics here but I think the fireman role is really reserved for those multi-inning dominant guys (Hader, AMiller, Devinski last year, Betances a few years ago) who come in at any point of the game to shut things down.  I think only a few of those guys can really be tagged with that elite status.  At least that's how I see it.

But you are right and I expect him to start getting some opportunities to work in tighter situations in which the Pirates have leads. And maybe he'll turn into that kind of guy.  He's been on my watch list for awhile...

Edited by knuckleheads

1 hour ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Santana & Feliz are mediocre relievers with smoke and mirror success this season.

Rodriguez is one of the best relievers in the league. With all kinds of uncertainty in that Pirates' bullpen Rodriguez is a must add/hold even if he isn't initially called on to close. His era/whip/k/9 are filthy with the peripherals to match. If he starts getting saves he might be one of the biggest RP adds of the season.

Basically, your case comes down to this.....

giphy.gif

No one's saying it couldn't happen but the context of usage and lack of any type of organizational message regarding him in the role would point to him being 3rd.  Put it this way, Vazquez was definitely out today getting treatment and may be out another day or two and Hurdle had no issues throwing him out there down 4 to eat up an inning.  I write that as someone who owns him one league so I get the desire...

• Like 4