murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

Well I saw Familia did his job just fine and then some in the second game after Lugo screwed up the first game.  Familia didn't make Mr Met weep last night.

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

No one's saying it couldn't happen but the context of usage and lack of any type of organizational message regarding him in the role would point to him being 3rd.  Put it this way, Vazquez was definitely out today getting treatment and may be out another day or two and Hurdle had no issues throwing him out there down 4 to eat up an inning.  I write that as someone who owns him one league so I get the desire...

All i'm saying is that Rodriguez is one of the best relievers in baseball right now. If Felipe Vasquez is out I don't think these other mediocre relievers left will be that big of an impediment. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted

Got it - you own R-Rod.  Best of luck to you.  The other relievers are not garbage, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

No one's saying it couldn't happen but the context of usage and lack of any type of organizational message regarding him in the role would point to him being 3rd.  Put it this way, Vazquez was definitely out today getting treatment and may be out another day or two and Hurdle had no issues throwing him out there down 4 to eat up an inning.  I write that as someone who owns him one league so I get the desire...

Bingo.  If R-Rod was a closer candidate, then Hurdle's not putting him out there in the 9th inning of a game they are losing 5-0.  Not to mention R-Rod got knocked around for 4 hits and 2 ER, and had to throw 29 pitches.  Not exactly helping his case for being the best guy for the job.

How is Burdi doing for Pirates? Has he started throwing?

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

So is Jason Adam really not in ESPNs database?  

Jason Adam is in the ESPN database.

2 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Bingo.  If R-Rod was a closer candidate, then Hurdle's not putting him out there in the 9th inning of a game they are losing 5-0.  Not to mention R-Rod got knocked around for 4 hits and 2 ER, and had to throw 29 pitches.  Not exactly helping his case for being the best guy for the job.

Keep Rod doing what he's doing well. There will be more situations that fit his need in his current role than closing situations. I believe it will be Santana and unfortunately I have feliz. 

1 hour ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Jason Adam is in the ESPN database.

Thank you...  appears to have been added overnight.  He's on waivers in multiple leagues now.   Good work guys.  

• Like 1

Are you guys not believing what they're saying about Vaz and think he will end to the DL?

It seems kind of irresponsible if PIT management doesn't put him on the DL to rest for atleast the minimum 10 days, just to exercise caution. Forearm irritation is generally a precursor to TJS so you don't want to mess around even if Vazquez is saying he's feeling OK. Rest him for the 10 days and then reevaluate. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

All i'm saying is that Rodriguez is one of the best relievers in baseball right now. If Felipe Vasquez is out I don't think these other mediocre relievers left will be that big of an impediment. 

Santana has not been mediocre. He's actually be quite good so far this season. And has been discussed in the closer threads this year, the perspective on bullpen roles has been shifting. The best RP in a pen doesn't always become the closer. I honestly don't know why you're so intent on pigeon-holing RichRod into the closer's spot if Vazquez has to missed an extended period of time. 

This whole thread should just be, I picked this guy up on waivers that's why he's going to be the next closer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I picked up Richard Rodriguez for ratio/k-rate help after his April. This guy is a beast on the level of the top 5-10 truly elite relievers in the game. 

If the closer in that Pirate bullpen is gone, and there's only the likes of Santana & Feliz blocking a potential closer job, that's really good news. Even if it doesn't happen right away.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I picked up Richard Rodriguez since he flashed a first-strike% of close to 20% (and a swinging strike close to 15%) after April. I'm rostering him for his 14+ K/9 & ratio help. 

This guy is a beast on the level of the top 5-10 truly elite relievers in the game. 

If the closer in that Pirate bullpen is gone, and there's only the likes of Santana & Feliz blocking a potential closer job, that's really good news. Even if it doesn't happen right away.

Um...let's let him accumulate more than 26 innings in his MLB career before putting him on the level of the top 5-10 elite RPs. 

And what statistical basis to you have to dislike Santana? I get Feliz, but not Santana. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

This whole thread should just be, I picked this guy up on waivers that's why he's going to be the next closer.  

There is a lot of that going on, yes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Are you guys not believing what they're saying about Vaz and think he will end to the DL?

I'm skeptical.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Yeah, he’s barely been able to get anyone out for the better part of two weeks and now he comes out and says his forearm is bothering him. I have a hard time believing that it’s just “nothing” now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

i'll add that he has been randomly awful on some days and unhittable on others.  Nothing like last year.  An ongoing injury makes a ton of sense and certainly justifies speculating with Santana and/or Feliz.  Preferably both.  At least for a week.

12 minutes ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

dont think santana will be the guy

Certainly not a good start for him...

The funny thing is that i dont think i ever made the argument that Richard Rodriguez was next in line for saves or anything. It just makes logical sense to roster a super talented pitcher/bullpen arm who is in a bullpen with mediocre pitchers and the closer potentially being banged up/injured.

“Closer”’ must mean bag of dog crap in Spanish.  Those pirates guys don’t want it