murraygd13

May Closer Thread 2018

Here comes another BS for Vazquez. Dude stinks.

And there it is. In a big way.

Edited by Deke
  • Like 1

Vazquez is terrible, just send him to the DL already. Something clearly isn't right.

36 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

Cardinals’ closing situation is a real cluster. 

Based on 1 bad game by Bud?

• Like 1

I would assume Crick takes over based off he’s been pitching the 8th. Heard a few podcasts mention him as well

• Like 1

Seasons like this one are why I consider punting saves every year...Giles, Neris, Vasquez...literally do more harm to my team than help.

• Like 1

Crazy talk I know .....but maybe not the best idea to pitch Vazquez three straight days after Sun 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

If he has anything going for him it's that the Phillies are in contention. And while Kapler is gonna make it needlessly complicated, at a certain point he's going to stop using Neris and bad pitchers in spots where they blow games. As opposed to noncontending team that wants to build a less valuable RP up to trade him. I'm optimistic

I think it's pretty straight forward here: Anything close like today is going to Sir Anthony (assuming he doesn't need a rest). Other less tight save opportunities may go elsewhere if Sir Anthony is needed earlier. 

Sir Anthony may only be the proverbial head of the committee because Kapler is using him as he deems necessary. He would already be the closer if used only in the more traditional manner in the 9th.

• Like 2

Whether Vazquez is severely hurt or not is one thing, but why you wouldn’t use the 10 day dL on a guy who looks like a shell of himself compared to last year and after another bad outing is holding his forearm in the dugout really blows my mind given the schooling, expertise, and money involved in a professional sports medical staff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soccerphysio said:

Seasons like this one are why I consider punting saves every year...Giles, Neris, Vasquez...literally do more harm to my team than help.

I sleep better at night after giving up the chase (dumpster dive) for saves and adding Stripling and Musgrove. Most productive week from my RPs all year.

1 hour ago, malta69 said:

Crazy talk I know .....but maybe not the best idea to pitch Vazquez three straight days after Sun 

This. 

2 hours ago, malta69 said:

You'd think Clint Hurdle wouldve learned a thing or 2 from Mike Scioscia's usage of Keynan Middleton...

6 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Whether Vazquez is severely hurt or not is one thing, but why you wouldn’t use the 10 day dL on a guy who looks like a shell of himself compared to last year and after another bad outing is holding his forearm in the dugout really blows my mind given the schooling, expertise, and money involved in a professional sports medical staff.

Pirates team doctors went to the same medical school as the Mets’?

tumblr_loc95pPWpS1qzrnyro1_500.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Nope. 4 different guys have gotten saves in the last 2 weeks for that team. There is no “the” closer in Philly. Not as long as Kapler is pulling the strings anyway.

^This.

8 hours ago, aifan27 said:

I wouldn't be so quick to shoot the idea down.  Recent trends suggest Sir Anthony is inching his way closer barring any meltdowns.  Even if he isn't "the guy", I think he will receive most of the save opps.

What recent trends? 

The last 4 save opps:

- Dominguez 6 out save

- Garcia 3 out save, Dominguez 4 outs before him

- Neris 3 out save clean inning, Dominguez pitched the 8th

- Dominguez 6 out save with Hunter and Garcia stumbling a bit before him

Dominguez's recent usage:

- came in to start 8th, 6 out save

- came in with runners on in 6th, got 4 outs

- came in with runners on in 7th, got 4 outs

- came in with runners on in 7th, got 4 outs

- came in to start 8th, got 3 outs

There's no real pattern here other than Kapler is going to use who he wants when he thinks they are the right person for the job, a true committee.  And if anything Sir Anthony's recent usage makes him seem a lot closer to an Andrew Miller / Hader fireman than "the closer".  He's usually coming in with runners on and in a jam and Kapler looking to get out of it.

Yes that will entail getting some saves, but he's not "the closer", recent usage doesn't suggest in any way that there is a "the closer", and it's pointless to post "is XX the closer??" every time one of these guys gets a save.  Kapler has said it's a committee, and he's running it that way, so there's no point in trying to shoehorn a label onto the player that you own.

8 hours ago, loro1991 said:

If he has anything going for him it's that the Phillies are in contention. And while Kapler is gonna make it needlessly complicated, at a certain point he's going to stop using Neris and bad pitchers in spots where they blow games. As opposed to noncontending team that wants to build a less valuable RP up to trade him. I'm optimistic

From a real baseball perspective Kapler is managing this bullpen usage perfectly - it's just needlessly complicated for your fantasy team.  3 of Dominguez's last 5 outings he came in to relieve the SP with runners on base, and got out of it without allowing runs.  He's the very definition of a fireman and is being used the way he should be.  Nothing to do with using Neris or trying to pump anyone's trade value, it's all about a contending team trying to win.  

What a bad manager would do is assign roles to each reliever, and those 3 games where Sir Anthony came into the 6th or 7th innings to put out the fire he would have been sitting on his hands waiting for a save opp, while some turd like Hunter is letting all of his inherited runners score.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, malta69 said:

yfqV5e0.jpg

• Haha 6

Anyone know what Vazquez's velocity was like last night?  His FB vel was 100.7 MPH on the 29th, then 98.7 on the 30th, and then Hurdle pitched him again last night.  Wow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

yfqV5e0.jpg

Yessssssssss ?????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soccerphysio said:

I do it yearly and its just not worth the headache, aggravation and ratio blowups...just get elite ratio rp's instead.

do it netflix GIF by Jessica Jones

• Thanks 1