Saucy

Devonta Freeman 2018 Outlook

On 7/14/2018 at 1:00 AM, RMJ_12 said:

If I owned Freeman the last player I would own would be Coleman.  Handcuffing is a terrible idea as it is, but this is probably worst case scenario.  Please don't handcuff in the 6th round.

Thing is Coleman isn't just a handcuff. He has put up RB2 numbers the past two years and is at worst a solid flex. In that context I don't think his price is outrageous given the alternatives around his ADP (currently ADP of 65, RB28 on fantasypros and although the guys just ahead of him are waaayy ahead of him in my book the guys after him aren't). Coleman is also one of the best handcuffs since he is likely a RB1 so it does limit the risk of taking Freeman significantly and we know what Freeman's ceiling looks like. That being said unless I'm taking Brown early in the 1st and don't like the WRs available I'm probably not taking Freeman (although I have drafted Coleman in a few mocks since he is a solid flex with RB1 upside should Freeman miss any time). 

Generally I would say handcuffing isn't a smart idea since a lot of times there isn't a clear backup, they aren't that good, the situation isn't that good and have virtually zero value unless an injury happens (this doesn't define Coleman's situation). If you are to handcuff I usually do advise against wasting a pick on one that typically goes undrafted since that pick could probably be better used. I think handcuffing does have value later in the season especially after the trade deadline and your BYE weeks have passed so you don't need as deep of a bench but would have limited options if your stud went down. 

Freeman is a great running back but he's had a handful of concussions in the past couple seasons and that's concerning. Definitely grab Coleman in the later rounds. If you can't grab him, trade for him. 

3 minutes ago, n4sa said:

Freeman is a great running back but he's had a handful of concussions in the past couple seasons and that's concerning. Definitely grab Coleman in the later rounds. If you can't grab him, trade for him. 

Spike Dudley!  I was wondering wher u went

I really like Freeman this year especially as a late 2nd rounder in PPR. I mean you could realistically start your draft with David Johnson & Freeman. Unless he gets hurt again, I see no reason why he won't be his normal 50+ catch, double digit TD self.

1 hour ago, Geaux Saints said:

I really like Freeman this year especially as a late 2nd rounder in PPR. I mean you could realistically start your draft with David Johnson & Freeman. Unless he gets hurt again, I see no reason why he won't be his normal 50+ catch, double digit TD self.

except that's not his "normal" when you consider his only year under the current coaching staff rendered neither 50+ receptions or double digit touchdowns.....just sayin. 

translation: plenty of reason to select higher upside guys in the 2nd. 

translation part 2: That doesn't mean I don't support choosing him in the 2nd

translation part 3: I have no clue what to do about Freeman heading into my draft. 

Hope this helped <_<

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

except that's not his "normal" when you consider his only year under the current coaching staff rendered neither 50+ receptions or double digit touchdowns.....just sayin. 

translation: plenty of reason to select higher upside guys in the 2nd. 

translation part 2: That doesn't mean I don't support choosing him in the 2nd

translation part 3: I have no clue what to do about Freeman heading into my draft. 

Hope this helped <_<

He missed 3 games due to injury last year and still finished as RB14. He's a steal in the late 2nd. 

2 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

McCaffrey has a higher ceiling but his floor is much lower as what you just pointed out. That line is going to be abysmal.

Freeman is the safer pick seeing as though he'll be one of the main contributers on a SB contender. 

Not sure how you figure... Freeman should get twice as many TDs... maybe more... that's a huge variance in points that raises his ceiling... Freeman is currently underrated...

Pretty quiet in here.. MCL/PCL sprain, no surgery, and a few recent concussions... All signs and whispers point to him being healthy though. Year 2 in Sark's offense can only mean up, right? #1 fantasy back 2 years ago, dude is only 26.. You've gotta think last year was his floor, as because of that, he is being drafted a full round an a half lower than his annual top 8.

This beast is going right around #20th overall in ESPN drafts. Would anyone consider snagging him over the 2nd tier of WRs (Allen/Green/MT/Adams)? Too much of a reach? I am slightly concerned about his concussions more than anything else. 230 1050 8 TDs to go with 40 catches for 350 and 2 more TDs feels like a floor barring health.

Edited by Motown_Magic
  • Like 1

With his running style, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have another concussion this season.  

21 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

With his running style, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have another concussion this season.  

I absolutely love watching him run.  He runs angry and gets yards.

I agree with your statement though, I am a bit concerned about another concussion.  Having said that when he plays hes a beast.  I hope to own him this year for a bit of a reduced auction price.

55 minutes ago, Motown_Magic said:

Pretty quiet in here.. MCL/PCL sprain, no surgery, and a few recent concussions... All signs and whispers point to him being healthy though. Year 2 in Sark's offense can only mean up, right? #1 fantasy back 2 years ago, dude is only 26.. You've gotta think last year was his floor, as because of that, he is being drafted a full round an a half lower than his annual top 8.

This beast is going right around #20th overall in ESPN drafts. Would anyone consider snagging him over the 2nd tier of WRs (Allen/Green/MT/Adams)? Too much of a reach? I am slightly concerned about his concussions more than anything else. 230 1050 8 TDs to go with 40 catches for 350 and 2 more TDs feels like a floor barring health.

it's quite in here because nothing has changed with his situation from last year, everyone knows what you are going to get, a steady performer who is sharing with Coleman,  now if something happens in game 3, you can bet either this thread or the Coleman thread will blow up

People are always sour about Freeman. He does the job just fine in .5 PPR.

Got him at the back end of the snake two years in a row. Late 2nd this year!? By all means.

McCaffrey has flown by Freeman in preseason rankings, but now Jordan Howard is fast approaching.  How are you guys comparing these two situations? 

Even with Nagy's comments that Howard will be playing 3rd downs, I still expect Freeman to catch 15-20 more passes this season.  However, Howard has none of the injury concerns coming into the season (concussions + knee) and does not have the direct competition from an every down type of back (Tevin Coleman vs. Cohen). 

The Falcons will have the better overall offense, but I think Freeman will spend more time off the field overall.  Anyone confidently taking Freeman over Howard still? 

3 minutes ago, SvanE42 said:

McCaffrey has flown by Freeman in preseason rankings, but now Jordan Howard is fast approaching.  How are you guys comparing these two situations? 

Even with Nagy's comments that Howard will be playing 3rd downs, I still expect Freeman to catch 15-20 more passes this season.  However, Howard has none of the injury concerns coming into the season (concussions + knee) and does not have the direct competition from an every down type of back (Tevin Coleman vs. Cohen). 

The Falcons will have the better overall offense, but I think Freeman will spend more time off the field overall.  Anyone confidently taking Freeman over Howard still? 

Howard has yet to prove he can catch passes reliably. It's that simple. He might be given more leash this season, but he still has to actually catch what's thrown at him. Freeman has the hands, and he has the better QB.

giphy.gif

I traded for Freeman in 2014 at a 17th round keeper cost. Drafted Coleman in the 3rd round of the 2015 season. Dropped Coleman to the wire to cleanse his keeper cost in hopes of picking him back up but that didn't work. I immediately started trade talks with the guy who plucked him off the wire and by late 2015 I had him back in a trade for the Jets DST.

I've had both for very little cost since 2015 and I couldn't be happier but Freeman is still the guy that makes my heart skip a beat when he gets his hands on the ball.

Freeman in the 2nd is great value, IMO, but like the guys above said, the price tag for Coleman as a handcuff is just too high. (which is great for me!)

On 26/08/2018 at 2:16 PM, SvanE42 said:

I'm currently asking myself the same question and wonder what's the take on this. I will draft 2nd on a 10-team .5ppr league and i will probably be looking at one, or both of them.

I like Nagy's comments on how they plan on using JoHo on 3rd downs, but Howard catching skills are nowhere near Freeman's. We all know the health concerns with Freeman, but is this less worrying than Howard's ability to catch the ball ? What do you guys would value more in this context ?

I still think those 2 are more of a sure value than Green/Adams.

On 8/26/2018 at 7:16 PM, SvanE42 said:

the only way he plays third downs, is as a full back!

he can get all the targets he likes, will keep stonehanding them.

i have freeman and reached for coleman in dynasty, given coleman may do a mckinnon next season (big contract, not ACL!)

Well that didn't go well. Hope nothing serious, and the Falcons learn how to use him properly.

Just now, Bastardo! said:

If Peyton Barber shows me anything, he'll be my new RB2.

Ha yea I'm right there with you. In fact I'm already prepping for my second round pick to be parked on the bench the remainder of the year. Would seem like an overreaction but be it injury or not enough touches I am already worried we won't be able to trust him.