Saucy

Devonta Freeman 2018 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Szer0 said:

Starting from Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead, Jamaal Williams, Peyton Barber, John Conner, Marshawn Lynch, Chris Carson etc etc. That mid rd5-early rd7 RBs in a ppr 12 teams ADP range.

There is 0 chance a Freeman owner is taking that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RicFlair said:

There is 0 chance a Freeman owner is taking that. 

there's always more than zero chance.

1.) Panic sets in during the week

2.) Those lower ADP players get such glowing reviews that they became such a delicious trade bait

Not every Fantasy football players are rational

• Like 1

Just now, Szer0 said:

2.) Those lower ADP players get such glowing reviews that they became such a delicious trade bait

Panic factor is real

Especially for a guy like Devonta whos question marks get larger over time

33 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Or you trade for an injured player with a history of concussions that might be in a time share.

Yes, that's possible. If there were no questions about anything then he'd be drafted much higher and would be impossible to trade for. Buying low comes with very real risks. Sometimes they'll blow up in your face. 

Buying "low" on someone doesn't mean buying cheap. It just means cheaper than what you think their price will be in the near future. 

I'm not willing to buy in at this point, and even if I were I think most owners wouldn't be looking to press the panic button yet, but people are weird. If you have an owner in your league with a history of itchy trigger fingers and you really believe in Freeman, then by all means start sending offers. It's a smart strategy. 

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

To be fair, Shanahan did already decide to go away from his lead back.

That's what I sadly saw. Coleman played 3 of the last 4 series. Injury or not, they are not seeing Freeman as necessarily the go to guy, and that's a problem for a 2nd rounder

This is why I avoided freeman in all leagues. Not even the injury threat, but any given week can end up being a Coleman week and your left with with a pile of nothing. Too unpredictable

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Blu Exile said:

In the Falcons last 13 games, Freeman has over 12 carries in a game only twice over that span.

Still a lot more than DJ, Cook, and Barkley. BTW in all those games he had 11 or 12 carries. And 25 carries  in the outlier 2 games.  Its all luck..every player has their days

Edited by phegotgame14
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

This is why I avoided freeman in all leagues. Not even the injury threat, but any given week can end up being a Coleman week and your left with with a pile of nothing. Too unpredictable

This. I like the player but he only gets 20+ touches a game roughly 1 out of 4 games. Coupled with some concussion concerns, he’s seemingly 1 or 2 away from a potentially career threatening (he missed multiple weeks last year after suffering 2 in a couple month span). 

I felt his mid/late 2nd round ADP was a round too high. I personally don’t see a big difference between him and Ajayi who was  routinely drafted 20-25 picks after him. I know Freeman catches more passes but whether you believe in Jay’s knees or not he’s been pretty durable.

5 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

This. I like the player but he only gets 20+ touches a game roughly 1 out of 4 games. Coupled with some concussion concerns, he’s seemingly 1 or 2 away from a potentially career threatening (he missed multiple weeks last year after suffering 2 in a couple month span). 

I felt his mid/late 2nd round ADP was a round too high. I personally don’t see a big difference between him and Ajayi who was  routinely drafted 20-25 picks after him. I know Freeman catches more passes but whether you believe in Jay’s knees or not he’s been pretty durable.

Exactly, hell, ajayi has less competition right now as he’s the clear goal line guy. 

Freeman/Coleman are almost interchangeable at this point. Sure he will have a monster game or two here and there. But in my RB2 I prefer a lower ceiling and higher floor like a l.miller. 

Edited by Nyblazer11235

Very disappointing game, but the entire Falcons offense minus Julio sucked. I’m not too worried, yet. I did handcuff Freeman with Coleman. Just need solid RB2 numbers from Devonta.

I don't own him(was actually playing against him last night) but I wouldn't worry. He should've had a TD on that first drive. He looked good early in the game, they just got dominated by a great defense. He will lose touches to Coleman like past years but I don't see how he doesn't have an RB2 floor barring injury. Not panic worthy IMO

3 hours ago, MrPositive said:

That's what I sadly saw. Coleman played 3 of the last 4 series. Injury or not, they are not seeing Freeman as necessarily the go to guy, and that's a problem for a 2nd rounder

Coleman is on a contract year. I would not be shocked if they played him more this year to see what they have entering the summer.

He ran well on his touches against one of the better run Ds in the league, the offense just stalled over and over or they had a short field. Not worried, and knee injury seems like nothing based on all comments after. 

Thank you Rotoworld forums for pumping up Jordan Howard this summer and letting us avoid this beanbag

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MrPositive said:

they did give him a hefty contract though, that would suggest otherwise.

i haven't seen much difference in usage with respect to the past season, alternates series with coleman, sometimes he's called back in when they get into the red zone.

play calling didn't help last night (against one of the best D-lines in the NFL), but he'll be ok.

2 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Coleman is on a contract year. I would not be shocked if they played him more this year to see what they have entering the summer.

they know what they have and they won't sign him anyway (bar long term injury to freeman), if they play him a bit more this season is to spare freeman a bit of damage before he's the proper lead back next season.

He doesn't have the juice in the redzone like he once did, that's for sure. 

They way he runs they almost need to have a 50/50 split with Coleman to keep him healthy.

7 hours ago, Szer0 said:

Dude, I own Freeman.  So I am going to take guys with risks of their own for my guy with a better upside?

2 hours ago, Spyplane said:

How many years has Coleman been on the team?  I think they know by now.

If Freeman is truly healthy then he will be fine. The few opps he had last night he ran the ball well. Coming off knee sprains to MCL and PCL i can see why they took the cautious approach when he came off limping late in the game. It was also his first game of the year. He did not play a down during the preseason. Play calling in the redzone was abysmal and Ryan flat out missed him on that pass. He's a buy low if he just banged up his knee and did not aggravate anything he had last year. He played against one of the top ranked defensive fronts in the NFL on the road. He'll put up big numbers when back in the friendly confines of the dome. 

11 minutes ago, StuPitt said:

Dude, I own Freeman.  So I am going to take guys with risks of their own for my guy with a better upside?

Am I playing with you?

Read my entire statement. Each league is different. Each player is different.

54 minutes ago, StuPitt said:

I think people will make offers depending on how week 1 goes. If a guy like chris Carson gets 15 carries and a couple receptions for 80 yards and a td, that’d be an interesting offer for a player who just got banged up and only had 6 carries, and is potentially heading into a 50/50 timeshare.