Saucy

Devonta Freeman 2018 Outlook

Matt Ryan was absolutely terrible last night. Missed a wide open Freeman for an easy pass TD and missed him several times more on the edge on passes that would have gone for big gains. That said, not real excited since Sarkisian appears to be a moron. This is looking like a 50/50 time share. ugh.

3 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Coleman is on a contract year. I would not be shocked if they played him more this year to see what they have entering the summer.

Yeah... this is one of the more ridiculous theories I've read. It makes sense to run a RB into the ground if a team doesn't plan on re-signing him. But they know what they have in Coleman and it makes zero sense for ATL to run him into the ground. Unless another team is going to give Coleman a big FA contract then Coleman can be re-signed for a reasonable price for ATL.

The defenses he's facing for this first month is tough. Real tough. That Buccaneer game couldn't come fast enough.

20 minutes ago, devaster said:

Yeah... this is one of the more ridiculous theories I've read. It makes sense to run a RB into the ground if a team doesn't plan on re-signing him. But they know what they have in Coleman and it makes zero sense for ATL to run him into the ground. Unless another team is going to give Coleman a big FA contract then Coleman can be re-signed for a reasonable price for ATL.

i doubt they'll resign him, they paid freeman already, they're better off drafting a couple of RBs and find a cheap one who can do similar damage, or give freeman a larger role if that fails (dangerous though).

and coleman could receive offers that are more than what would be a reasonable price for the falcons.

And of course he'll be just "fine" enough to limp through games, making both him and Coleman unstartable for the foreseeable future . . .

Holy cow the overreactions after 1 game. How are people going to make it 16 games???

I would worry if performances like this continue to week 3

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Don't worry, they will.  I've had Freeman on my DND for the past 2 years.  It's quite clear Tevin Coleman is superior.  Freeman doesn't have the explosiveness anymore, and the durability is completely gone.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Holy cow the overreactions after 1 game. How are people going to make it 16 games???

It isn't really an overreaction in this case. 

In Freemans case he is stuck with a trash OC and a QB that had regressed a bit from 2 years ago. I think he will have better games for sure but Sark is going to hold back his potential. 

6 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

In Freemans case he is stuck with a trash OC and a QB that had regressed a bit from 2 years ago. I think he will have better games for sure but Sark is going to hold back his potential. 

likely, but still a bit premature.

although i make you right about ryan. can't even win a coin toss!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KuNiT21 said:

Don't worry, they will.  I've had Freeman on my DND for the past 2 years.  It's quite clear Tevin Coleman is superior.  Freeman doesn't have the explosiveness anymore, and the durability is completely gone.  

2017:

Freeman - 164.2 fantasy pts

Coleman - 140.7 fantasy pts

2016:

Freeman - 230.1 fantasy pts

Coleman - 160.1 fantasy pts

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm

47 minutes ago, RicFlair said:

Maybe if you are playing with bums?

I'm not sure why you need to get so personal.... your league may not be any better

There's a reason why i said not all FF players are rational. Your commentary is one of the reason why.

I guess you can't fight logic with logic and has to resort to childish insults ^_^

35 minutes ago, cousinal111 said:

Is anyone else a little down on Chao's takes?  Last year, he was reassuring everyone that DJ would come back.

4 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

Is anyone else a little down on Chao's takes?  Last year, he was reassuring everyone that DJ would come back.

Well in his defense, DJ probably physically could have come back if his team was in the playoff picture.  It's not up to the doctor to speculate if the team will take extra precautions based on their win/loss record.

But yeah, I would take anything like this with a grain of salt.  He's a doctor stating facts, but generic facts, when he's never personally examined these guys.  When he says the risk for re-injury is higher I'm sure that's factual, but it still doesn't mean it will happen.

Obviously all Freeman owners should be concerned (I wasted a second-round pick on DeMarco Murray last year, so I always seem to pick the wrong second-round RB), but I'm not sure how many season-long conclusions we can draw after a miserable game played in humid 80 degree weather.  Nobody looked like they were in football shape and most of those guys looked like they wanted to take a nap on the field towards the end of drives.  Didn't help that Sark had the Falcons playing like they were down by three scores instead of two points for most of the second half.  Freeman came very close to scoring two TDs -- first on the opening drive and then a couple series later when he was wide open in the end zone and Ryan just didn't see him.

As long as Freeman didn't pick up a lingering knee injury I don't think this is going to be quite the fantasy nightmare it looks like.  The weather will cool down, these guys will get into football shape, Ryan won't always look that bad, and Freeman can still put up RB1/2 borderline production even if he alternates series with Coleman. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

he doesn't have the most sterling of reps, but he is a doctor so he probably knows more than most of the people here

It seemed like Ryan was missing Freeman all night. Like this scramble that Ryan had towards the end of the 1st half where he slowly stumbled down the field and had to slide in several yards short of the 1st down.  You can see Freeman down at the bottom of the screen with tons of room, and all Ryan has to do is flip the ball over to him.  Even if he has one guy to beat, looks like he'd have the angle to the sideline to at least pick up 10 yards.  But instead Ryan has his blinders on and runs right into the defense.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000958880/Matt-Ryan-gets-his-knee-brace-cut-off-after-QB-scramble

56 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

2017:

Freeman - 164.2 fantasy pts

Coleman - 140.7 fantasy pts

2016:

Freeman - 230.1 fantasy pts

Coleman - 160.1 fantasy pts

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm

Lol , this is your argument?

Took him all off-season to recover from the knee injury that hindered him last year, and now, guess what . . .

wasn't he favoring his right knee according to teh reporter last night? he sprained his right knee last ear so this would mean the other leg.

5 minutes ago, KuNiT21 said:

Lol , this is your argument?

I mean, you claim that Coleman is the superior RB, so what kind of measuring stick do you want to use?  Freeman also has better efficiency per rush if you'd rather use that (4.8 YPC to 4.4 YPC in 2016, 4.4 YPC to 4.0 YPC in 2017).  So Freeman has better efficiency, and more yards overall, so I'm just not sure how Coleman is so superior.  

You also DND a guy that was drafted as an RB1 in both 2016 and 2017, and who finished as an RB1 in 2016 and a high end RB2, so congrats I guess?  

• Thanks 1

Nothing like your season starting out with your RB1 getting 3 touches and a target from the 5 on first and goal with no touchdown.  Unfortunately fantasy football in most leagues is heavily driven by the touchdown - not getting in there really set the tone for a crap night.  Ironically the tough part he did which was picking up 4 yards from the 5, often times that is where they struggle.  Almost wished they had spread it out again on 2nd down and run up the middle, some teams just dont do "jumbo formation" all that well, seems a back like Freeman, spread it wide, give him more space to find a hole rather than running into beef wall.  Getting in the end zone was problematic for this offense last year and was issue last night also.  I was a big buyer on falcon bounceback - Freeman and Ryan shares in leagues.  Lets go boys.