Saucy

Devonta Freeman 2018 Outlook

8 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I mean, you claim that Coleman is the superior RB, so what kind of measuring stick do you want to use?  Freeman also has better efficiency per rush if you'd rather use that (4.8 YPC to 4.4 YPC in 2016, 4.4 YPC to 4.0 YPC in 2017).  So Freeman has better efficiency, and more yards overall, so I'm just not sure how Coleman is so superior.  

You also DND a guy that was drafted as an RB1 in both 2016 and 2017, and who finished as an RB1 in 2016 and a high end RB2, so congrats I guess?  

It's easy when you get it.  The pendulum is obviously swinging every single year.  2016 was Freeman eating and Coleman on watch.  You could tell the Falcons had 2 superior backs on a 1-2 punch and both looked solid.  2017, it really swung.  You can easily tell Coleman started eating more into Freeman's carries and frankly looked better carrying them.  Here we are at 2018 now.  Swinging even more.  Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story.  It's quite clear Coleman can handle a load if need be.  Freeman can't even handle more than 10 carries anymore.  It was swinging a tiny bit at first.  It was close to the middle in 2017.  Now it's swinging on Coleman's side.  The only people not seeing this is those who got dupped into drafting Freeman this year early

Edited by KuNiT21

10 minutes ago, KuNiT21 said:

Now it's swinging on Coleman's side.  The only people not seeing this is those who got dupped into drafting Freeman this year early

and the f***tards who gave freeman a big contract  and not coleman.

Edited by warpster
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, warpster said:

and the f***tards who gave freeman a big contract  and not coleman.

And what a mistake that was.

10 minutes ago, KuNiT21 said:

And what a mistake that was.

Coleman is a change of pace back that's it, albeit prolly the best one in the league. He can't withstand the punishment like a bigger back can

people tend to forget coleman is playing with sickle cell, higher risk of getting injured then Freeman (look at john brown)

Granted, Coleman is a stud in his own right, i've rostered him the past 2 years and hes a great Flex and rb2 in matchups, missed out on him this year and its left me uneasy with Freeman. Coleman is probably one of the better keeper league picks this year, going in the middle rounds but could put up top 12 numbers once he becomes a bellcow. 

• Like 1

Coleman rushed 9 times for 19 yards last night!

That's 2.1 YPC.  He didn't exactly run circles around Freeman.  I could have run through that hole he had for the touchdown.

A backup like Coleman does present a serious concern for Freeman, which is that he's good enough that the coaching staff feels comfortable pulling Freeman early in a game just to be cautious whenever he tweaks something.  They're going to make an effort to preserve Freeman and that means there's no reason to roll him out there at less than 100%.

But we knew about Coleman.  That's why Freeman was a late second rounder and not a first rounder.

• Like 1

This is the kind of garbage that ticks me off.  I drafted strong at RB.  I have Elliott, Freeman, Cook, Barber and Conner.  I also have a flex which I could have gone with a WR also (Got Cooks, Corey Davis and Sterling Shepperd on my bench).  So Freeman runs 6 times and leaves then says "Oh my knee is fine".  Then why did you leave in the first place?????  Screwed me.  Now I got two good Rbs sitting on my bench.  Glad to already be frustrated ONE (literally ONE) game into the season!

Edited by StuPitt

9 minutes ago, StuPitt said:

This is the kind of garbage that ticks me off.  I drafted strong at RB.  I have Elliott, Freeman, Cook, Barber and Conner.  I also have a flex which I could have gone with a WR also (Got Cooks, Corey Davis and Sterling Shepperd on my bench).  So Freeman runs 6 times and leaves then says "Oh my knee is fine".  Then why did you leave in the first place?????  Screwed me.  Now I got two good Rbs sitting on my bench.  Glad to already be frustrated ONE (literally ONE) game into the season!

Play best ball leagues. That will solve that problem. 

2 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

yep this, I'd also get creative with trade packages of any of your backs not named Elliott to swing a trade for a sure thing top 6 back. All of those guys have good value surely you could swing something

29 minutes ago, StuPitt said:

Not to rub salt in the wound, but Philly had the #1 rushing defense in the NFL last year, and in their playoff matchup last year Freeman rushed for a total of 10 yards and had 26 yards receiving.  If there ever was a game on the schedule this year to start a different RB out of your stable of good ones, this would have been it.  (Hindsight being 20/20, I'll admit)

Not really sure why people are freaking out about Coleman. Freeman looked MUCH better than him last night and was also more involved in the passing game. Yeah Coleman got the TD but Freeman got like 4 goal line looks on the first drive, not his fault that the Eagles defensive is one of the best in the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, drisser said:

Not really sure why people are freaking out about Coleman. Freeman looked MUCH better than him last night and was also more involved in the passing game. Yeah Coleman got the TD but Freeman got like 4 goal line looks on the first drive, not his fault that the Eagles defensive is one of the best in the league.

My thoughts exactly 

14 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Not to rub salt in the wound, but Philly had the #1 rushing defense in the NFL last year, and in their playoff matchup last year Freeman rushed for a total of 10 yards and had 26 yards receiving.  If there ever was a game on the schedule this year to start a different RB out of your stable of good ones, this would have been it.  (Hindsight being 20/20, I'll admit)

But you draft this guy in the second round.  It's the first game of the year.  Freeman was healthy.  Philadelphia had a lot of guys out.  I just have a hard time on the first week of the season benching a guy like Freeman for a guy like Conner.  I think most would feel the same.  Actually Freeman averaged 6 yards a carry yesterday.

• Like 1

I think the play here is trading for Freeman.  If he’s expected to miss next week, his perceived worth will be way down.  I’m hoping I can flip Carson for Freeman if he plays well this week.  Freeman put up RB15 numbers last year, he’d be very valuable in good matchups...

Seems like nothing but positive news about Freeman's knee. No doubt he came up a little gimpy towards the end but it could have been just a bruise. Looks like the helmet was taken away from him as a precaution since it was the same knee he sprained the mcl and pcl last year. The most positive sign last night was he never went to the locker room so it definitely looks like he will be ready to go next week.  

Edited by bigbluecrew56

4 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

The defenses he's facing for this first month is tough. Real tough. That Buccaneer game couldn't come fast enough.

buccaneers are decent against the run

4 hours ago, TrillaTrilla said:

Matt Ryan was absolutely terrible last night. Missed a wide open Freeman for an easy pass TD and missed him several times more on the edge on passes that would have gone for big gains. That said, not real excited since Sarkisian appears to be a moron. This is looking like a 50/50 time share. ugh.

also the falcons offensive line was getting beat for the majority of the night. Philly defense is quite righteous 

1 hour ago, drisser said:

This right here. Philly has a tough defense. It was encouraging to see Freeman checking back in so much once Atlanta got close to scoring

Now Devonta owners can go back to the relief of only worrying about 3 straight years of declining production

2 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Now Devonta owners can go back to the relief of only worrying about 3 straight years of declining production

I fully admit....would go an entirely different direction late in the 2nd round today

11 hours ago, Novaray said:

Thank you Rotoworld forums for pumping up Jordan Howard this summer and letting us avoid this beanbag

You welcome. How Freeman has a top 20 ADP is beyond me. 

6 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

Not a fan of best ball. If you can’t figure out if a player should start that’s your problem. If I had to decide betweeen Barber and Freeman this week I would have taken Barber. In part because I don’t think Freeman is going to finish anywhere near his ADP and in part because it’s the first game all year against an elite defense.

Predictable overreaction on full display here.  Isn't this the 3rd straight year the first game has gone badly for Freeman?  This Philly D has ATL's number, big time.  I figured this would be a tough sled for Freeman and only started him because I figured he'd get a few goal line touches (which he did, just didn't convert).   This just looked to me like a mix of bad playcalling and the #1 run stuffing D-line not skipping a beat since last year.  Freeman only getting 6 carries is an outlier.  He will be getting closer to 12-20 touches and pending health will be very valuable.

Coleman owner here.

I wanted to draft Freeman but couldn't land him in the 2nd unfortunately. I think highly of both blacks and forsee them putting up good numbers even in the same game.

I do agree though that Freeman will no longer dominate carries and see a close to 50/50 split.

One thing I noticed last night is that Coleman looked like a better pass blocker than Freeman. Freeman was getting run over while Coleman picked up a blitz that sprang Julio for a big gain.

I see both guys getting lots of work with either back being able to play in any situation.

Edited by raidaz18

12 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

Coleman owner here.

I wanted to draft Freeman but couldn't land him in the 2nd unfortunately. I think highly of both blacks and forsee them putting up good numbers even in the same game.

I do agree though that Freeman will no longer dominate carries and see a close to 50/50 split.

One thing I noticed last night is that Coleman looked like a better pass blocker than Freeman. Freeman was getting run over while Coleman picked up a blitz that sprang Julio for a big gain.

I see both guys getting lots of work with either back being able to play in any situation.

Might want to edit your second sentence there bud, haha. 

• Haha 3