WTP333

Mike Soroka 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

They're only saying this isn't permanent to take pressure off the kid. By saying it's only temporary, the kid saves face if he isn't sent down after a bad performance since that was the "plan" from the start.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

They're only saying this isn't permanent to take pressure off the kid. By saying it's only temporary, the kid saves face if he isn't sent down after a bad performance since that was the "plan" from the start.

This sounds right to me.  Anibal Sanchez is fodder.  McCarthy is too, for that matter.  This team is good, and young, and is going to be good for a long time.  But like we've seen with several rebuilds recently, sometimes the team becomes pretty good a lot faster than they planned.

The only reason they have Anibal and McCarthy is to make sure they don't rush the young guys and develop them properly.  If Soroka is ready to go, this team is ready to compete, and Anibal Freakin Sanchez isn't standing in his way.

Once Gohara is ready (assuming he gets back to performing and no injury opens a spot sooner), they'll bring him up too.

• Like 1

Fun fact Soroka means Magpie in Russian 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

This sounds right to me.  Anibal Sanchez is fodder.  McCarthy is too, for that matter.  This team is good, and young, and is going to be good for a long time.  But like we've seen with several rebuilds recently, sometimes the team becomes pretty good a lot faster than they planned.

The only reason they have Anibal and McCarthy is to make sure they don't rush the young guys and develop them properly.  If Soroka is ready to go, this team is ready to compete, and Anibal Freakin Sanchez isn't standing in his way.

Once Gohara is ready (assuming he gets back to performing and no injury opens a spot sooner), they'll bring him up too.

music to my ears hearing someone say the Braves will be good for a long time. Us Braves fans have been waiting so long lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdd10 said:

music to my ears hearing someone say the Braves will be good for a long time. Us Braves fans have been waiting so long lol

I’m a Braves fan at my core. It’s been a long wait, but that’s the current system. The cupboard is absolutely overflowing with talent, and the big league club is good now. 

Its going to be fun for a while. 

• Like 3

Watched every pitch. Efficient. Composed. Great movement. 

Should def stay up. But who knows. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Watched every pitch. Efficient. Composed. Great movement. 

Should def stay up. But who knows. 

Rarely missed by much.  They keep harping on control and command and you could see why.

22 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I’m a Braves fan at my core. It’s been a long wait, but that’s the current system. The cupboard is absolutely overflowing with talent, and the big league club is good now. 

Same with my Yankees ? would be nice to see a WS rematch

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Damn what about all the prospects we lost during the off-season because of that jackass of a GM ?

So I watched the whole game. Here is my amateur analysis. 

Incredibly composed. Hits the strike zone a lot and early. Induced soft hits and grounders first couple of innings and nice strike out on Asdrubal. He was definitely getting hit hard the third time around when hitters saw him. Soroka really benefitted from great defense tonight as well. Nice stops by Freeman and Albies with a crazy diving stop in deep right field. I loved the start and hopefully he will grow, but he did look somewhat hittable. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dannyusf said:

So I watched the whole game. Here is my amateur analysis. 

Incredibly composed. Hits the strike zone a lot and early. Induced soft hits and grounders first couple of innings and nice strike out on Asdrubal. He was definitely getting hit hard the third time around when hitters saw him. Soroka really benefitted from great defense tonight as well. Nice stops by Freeman and Albies with a crazy diving stop in deep right field. I loved the start and hopefully he will grow, but he did look somewhat hittable. 

Yeah it could have been a lot worse.  Still good for a first start.  He may not be a number 2 or 3 guy this year but in keeper leagues he's a stud.  He's only TWENTY.  Incredibly early for a pitcher

• Like 1

Stashed him a couple weeks ago, in all aboard. 6 to midnight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He was hittable when he missed his spots. When the sinker or slider ended up middle. Then the hits happened. If any sp misses their spots against good MLB hitters they're gonna give up hits. There were a few loudouts. 

The most promising thing of the night was the 2nd at bat for AGon. 2 men on one out. Behind 3-1. Worked the count full then threw a great inside sinker to induce the DP. Very promising.

• Like 1

Grab now ask questions later.  

Very impressed. He missed his spots a few times and that resulted in some hits but for a 20 year old making his debut on the road against a good lineup.. wow.

if anibal freakin Sanchez keeps him from more starts I’m gonna break something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LJJr said:

Very impressed. He missed his spots a few times and that resulted in some hits but for a 20 year old making his debut on the road against a good lineup.. wow.

DFA Anibal now! lol I see Soroka as Dallas Keuchel-esque, am i wrong? No doubt he is solid though.

13 minutes ago, LJJr said:

I don't want to derail this too much, but did you know Anibal once was elite, and once blanketed the Braves with a 17 K game?

Anyways, big first day for Soroka. Hope he stays up too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Damn what about all the prospects we lost during the off-season because of that jackass of a GM ?

Fortunately the only prospect out of that bunch that was a big loss was Maitan,  Although I don't think he's doing much for the Angels right now except maybe eating.    

12 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I don't want to derail this too much, but did you know Anibal once was elite, and once blanketed the Braves with a 17 K game?

Anyways, big first day for Soroka. Hope he stays up too.

Ha!  I remember that game...    If only he was still that good

14 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Are we sure the kid doesn't throw a 95mph changeup?

Hot damn.