Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

I grow tired of seeing the same boring analysis of players and making boring assessments and predictions myself.

Let's talk about our leagues for a minute.

Over the years I've gotten a lot of great ideas for my leagues over the years and they've been better for it.

It's time for me squeeze some new juice out of this Rotoworld Forum Turnip though.

If you are a commish and have great ideas that make your league great... fire them off here.

If you are a serf of the league, but have great ideas that can make your league better, but your lousy commish hasn't enforced them... fire them off here.

If you have a unique and cool rule book innovative for your league with lots of great ideas... fire it off here.

If you have league member's being children and are unsure of what to do about it and need advice... fire off your questions here.

Let's get this popping.  2018 Drafts are right around the corner and I need some fresh new ideas for the league.

• Like 1

An example of a great idea I've received from this thread in recent years involved some great advice for my Auction League.

My league has a 17 round draft.

As you can imagine, 17 rounds of auction drafting is exhausting.  We'd generally have a few people finish their draft and head home cause they didn't want to wait for everyone else to finish.

Then someone gave me the idea of having it MOSTLY auction and some FFA Frenzy (or something like that, I forget the details, just remember what I did).

Now we have 15 rounds of Auction Drafting and 2 rounds of FFA Frenzy starting on Tuesday Night before the season Kick Off at 800 PM Central.

I think this year we are scaling to 14 rounds with 3 rounds of FFA Frenzy (this is still up for vote though).

I run a salary cap dynasty league. Every player has a contract amount and numbers of years signed. 

To cultivate a massive amount of action, the contract dollar amounts increase by 10% every year. It puts a lot of pressure on every summer for owners to find cap space. 

So so what I created are "point trades". Every owner gets 3 per year. Each "point trade" has 3 points. 

1 point: -$2000 salary

1 point +1 contract year

These trades are very powerful, especially when improving the contracts of your incoming players. 

This creates a race to get all 3 point trades done every summer before free agency, to get the maximum amount of cap space to spend on free agents. 

It gets pretty wild!

Usually have upwards of 15 trades before the season starts. Maybe 30 by season's end. 

• Thanks 1

I've created the greatest fantasy league ever, it's called the Survivor Series.

Currently 3 separate leagues of 14 teams each, going to 4 leagues this summer.

3 games in one:
Game 1: A Survivor Game: All teams compete, eliminate the lowest scoring 3/4 teams each week until there's only four teams left in week 16 playing for the Survivor Series Title
Game 2: Regular league play: Each of the 4 leagues play a regular schedule within their league with regular playoffs, etc. (so there would be 4 separate league championship games in week 16)
Game 3: RELEGATION: At the end of the season, teams switch leagues based on total points scored - teams can move up to the better leagues or down to the lower leagues. 

The reason for the 3 different games is that it keeps owners engaged in the season longer. Even if you get eliminated from the Survivor early, and even if your record is 2-8, you still don't know which league you'll be in since that's based solely on total points scored within your league.

The Twist: The top leagues actually get to draft more players than the bottom leagues.
Our Premier League drafts 20 players
Our Football League drafts 17 players
Our Crappy League drafts 14 players.
This is VERY important since it's a best-ball league.

As you can imagine, you want to be in the Premier League since you get more players and it's easier to win the Survivor Game with more players. However, it doesn't effect Game 2 (regular league play) because if you're in the Crappy and you only get 14 players, you're only playing against other teams with 14 players all season and in the playoffs.

I've been running fantasy leagues since the late 1980s, I've got keeper leagues and dynasty leagues, and this is by far my favorite I've ever done.

Here's the 2017 site:
Survior Series

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, cohenstantinople said:

That Athlon site was great. 

Thanks for that. I'm gonna bring a few of those things to vote this draft. 

7 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

That Athlon site was great. 

Thanks for that. I'm gonna bring a few of those things to vote this draft. 

A la orden.

Removing QB, RB, WR, and TE is always an option: 2 kickers, 2 punters, and 6 IDP/special teams——very spicy.

• Haha 1

My auction league is 14 teams.   $200 budget but no kickers or D, you start 8 guys.    The kick is, you can spend your budget on as few or max of 18 players.   If you want to blow it all on 6 guys, go for it..........because at the end, all open roster spots are filled with a free draft, so you'll have a full roster, but at the end you're filling it with real deep dive guys.  

Note:  There's a rule during the auction portion that the last guy available with money gets one last player......so if you ride it out and have 5 spots  $10 left when everyone else taps out, you get one guy, not 5.  

Now that the Golden Snake Warriors have officially won another title I can stop caring about NBA and focusing on my leagues again. 

The weekly press conference thing is hilarious and being put up for vote. I already told 2 people about it and they love it. 

We pay GMs (who get highest points overall for the week) and are going to make that person be obliged for the weekly press conference. 

This is assuming the vote passes. 

One thing I started doing recently is trashing my league mates on a local sports radio station and "throwing shade". 

I'm hoping to get this caught on with us throwing back and forth shade at each other. 

So far it's just me roasting people though. Everyone loves it, but no one else has jumped in yet. We'll see if this escalates to what I'm hoping for or just slowly dies though. 

My latest predilection has been trying to get a Superhero fantasy league going.  I posted about it over in the League Finder forum, but there may be more exposure for the idea here, so I'll copy and paste:

What with all the attention on superhero movies lately, my idea is to have a superhero fantasy football league, where owners could invoke special "superpowers" that would affect their scores and/or their opponents' scores each week, thereby adding to the strategy of the game.

So I am inviting prospective owners to form a league called "Superheroes of the Gridiron" for beta-testing, in which all owners would be constrained to use a team name and avatar reflective of one of the superheroes from their respective conferences, with one 12-team conference being the "Avengers" and another 12-team conference being the "Justice League."  Each conference would have an independent draft and player pool, such that the same player could be on a team in each conference, but on only one team in each conference.  Each member of the Avengers would be matched against a member of the Justice League each week, so that there would be 12 weeks of head-to-head inter-comics matchups in the regular season before 4 weeks of a total points "Battle Royale" playoff.

But here's where it gets good.  Each week, owners would have the option to choose to apply one of the following Super Powers to their game.  Only one Super Power per team per week may be used, and each Super Power may be used only once by each team over the course of the season.  There are 20 Super Powers in all (4 more than there are weeks of play):

Home Planet Advantage - Adds 10 points to your overall team score (may only be used during a home game).

Super Strength - Double one of your own players' scores.

Super Speed - One of your own players will get credit for twice their actual rushing/receiving yardage.

Big Arm - Adds 10 yards to every completion by your QB.

Big Leg - Adds 30 yards to every FG made by your Kicker.

Big TDs - Every player (including D/ST) on your team will receive 2 additional points for every TD they score.

Time Travel - Use a score from a specified previous week for one of your own players (can even be used on an injured or bye week player).

Healing - Start an injured (or bye week) player and receive the average of that player's scores for all previous games in which he played.

Shape Shift - Start a player at a different position (start a RB as your TE, for instance).

Doppleganger - Start the same player in two slots (RB or WR only, since they are the only positions with multiple starting slots).

Parallel Universe - Start 2 players of the same position in 1 starting slot (essentially giving your team an extra starter).

Imitation - Substitute one of an opponent's players' scores for one of your own players' scores.

Double Up - When you and an opponent are starting the same player, you will get an extra serving of that player's points.

Omniscience - Receive points for your best possible lineup out of all the players on your team, starters and bench ("best-ball" lineup).

Subterfuge - Replace one of an opponents' starting players with a player of the same position on their bench (may NOT be used to start an opponent's injured or bye week players).

Impotence - Makes one of an opponents' players score zero points (even if they are using a superpower on that player).

Iron Shield - Reduces your opponent's overall team score by 10%.

Impenetrable Fortress - Doubles your Defense/Special Teams points.

Negation - Cancels whatever Super Power is played by your opponent.

Power Grab - Use one of your opponent's remaining powers, even if you have already used that power yourself.

I have a potential site set up on My Fantasy League which can be used for free through Week 4 of the regular season, but to keep it functional for the entire season will require $180--the MFL fee for a deluxe league (one in which a player can be on more than one team in separate conferences).  So I'm thinking maybe a nominal $50 entry fee, which would generate $1200.  I would pay $50 to each of two division winners in each conference, and an additional $50 to the total points champion of each conference--and a $10 Amazon gift certificate to each Superhero in the winning conference (another $120).  That leaves $300 to the overall champion, $200 to 2nd place, and $100 to third.

I would not be able to participate in the league as an owner myself, because someone has to be the curator of the powers used each week.  So I would be involved only as the commissioner--the one you notify of the power you are using and the one who adjusts all the scores each week after the games.

I've just been kicking the tires on the potential website so far, so I can't guarantee that it will look EXACTLY like it does now, once the season kicks off, but I have a general idea of how the site will look, so if you want to take a look for yourself, here's the proposed league website URL:  https://www61.myfantasyleague.com/2018/home/33576#0

Let me know if you might be interested so I can build a list of potential owners, if this thing gets off the ground.

• Like 2

This year we are changing our league to Superflex.  I’m tired of QBs being so easily replaceable.  Last year I had Luck, Wentz, Watson, Stafford, for one spot.  Time to make it more desirable to pursue QBs in trade and off the WW.    

Unfortunately my friend and former commissioner passed away from cancer at the age of 52 in April.  I have renamed the league in memory of him. He loved fantasy football. 

• Like 3

Love those super powers.  Do you have to activate them before the games start, or after?

9 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

One thing I started doing recently is trashing my league mates on a local sports radio station and "throwing shade". 

I'm hoping to get this caught on with us throwing back and forth shade at each other. 

So far it's just me roasting people though. Everyone loves it, but no one else has jumped in yet. We'll see if this escalates to what I'm hoping for or just slowly dies though. 

Am in a league that gives weekly prize ($20) for high score, and the owner of the high score must post a re-cap of the week's games / matchups, oftentimes in a mishmash of insults, and TV references (Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy). Fun for the witty, a challenge for the dim.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Am in a league that gives weekly prize ($20) for high score, and the owner of the high score must post a re-cap of the week's games / matchups, oftentimes in a mishmash of insults, and TV references (Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy). Fun for the witty, a challenge for the dim.

Yes, I love this idea.

You actually gave me a link to one of those sites earlier in this thread that speaks about this.

We have the same thing where weekly high score gets a monetary prize and I am putting up weekly "press conference" for vote this year.

I've shared the idea with 2 / 14 league members and they both loved it.

I'm pretty sure I can get it to pass.

My actual rule will be the following:

4.                   Weekly Press Conference:  Make the Weekly Winner earn their Weekly Winner Money.  If you are the highest scoring person of the week you must create a (minimum) 60 second video press conference.  In this press conference you can talk about beating your opponent, what you did that gave you the edge to beat your opponent, what you plan to do to defeat your next week’s opponent, trash talking current or future opponent, trash talking anyone and everyone, or just talking about whatever you feel like talking about.  If press conference is not completed by the Fantasy Football Championship that weekly winner money will be awarded to whoever had 2nd highest points that week (no press conference will be required).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Weekly Press Conference:  Make the Weekly Winner earn their Weekly Winner Money.  If you are the highest scoring person of the week you must create a (minimum) 60 second video press conference.  In this press conference you can talk about beating your opponent, what you did that gave you the edge to beat your opponent, what you plan to do to defeat your next week’s opponent, trash talking current or future opponent, trash talking anyone and everyone, or just talking about whatever you feel like talking about.  If press conference is not completed by the Fantasy Football Championship that weekly winner money will be awarded to whoever had 2nd highest points that week (no press conference will be required).

Taking it to the next level with a video. For some of your creative leaguemates, that should be a lot of fun. And for the less creative, as long as they're not technologically handicapped, they could easily create something like a "trailer" with images and sound effects (lotta free special effects out there to make movie-like-trailers).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Love those super powers.  Do you have to activate them before the games start, or after?

Before, of course.  That's why I would have to be only a commish, and not an owner myself--so that owners could email me the power they are using when they set their lineups.

4 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Before, of course.  That's why I would have to be only a commish, and not an owner myself--so that owners could email me the power they are using when they set their lineups.

Or you could just give yourself a separate due date to lock in your "powers" that's before everyone else's.

I don't really see much of a competitive advantage you'd gain regardless if you knew what "power" they were to use before you used yours though.

4 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Or you could just give yourself a separate due date to lock in your "powers" that's before everyone else's.

I don't really see much of a competitive advantage you'd gain regardless if you knew what "power" they were to use before you used yours though.

Because of powers like "Negation" where it could be said that I only used it once I knew what power my opponent was playing.

As a commissioner, you have to be above even the suspicion of wrongdoing at all times.

7 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

If someone uses Super Strength to double his player's points, and then Axe uses Impotence to reduce that player's points to zero, it nullifies his opponent's superpower.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

What is happening to this thread? I can’t tell if this superheroes thing is a legit league or just for fun. Seems like the time invested into the post makes it seem for real.

Yahoo is switching to 0.5 PPR this year as default scoring, I believe. Thoughts on this from people who play in full point PPR? Who does it help? Who does it hurt? Obviously if you are in a keeper league and have pass catching RBs, maybe you would be against this change?

5 minutes ago, CooL said:

What is happening to this thread? I can’t tell if this superheroes thing is a legit league or just for fun. Seems like the time invested into the post makes it seem for real.

Right now it's just an idea, but I'd like to make it happen if I can get enough interest.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

Yahoo is switching to 0.5 PPR this year as default scoring, I believe. Thoughts on this from people who play in full point PPR? Who does it help? Who does it hurt? Obviously if you are in a keeper league and have pass catching RBs, maybe you would be against this change?

You can change it to whatever your scoring is...

Edited by dmb3684

On 6/15/2018 at 11:18 PM, Axe Elf said:

My latest predilection has been trying to get a Superhero fantasy league going.  I posted about it over in the League Finder forum, but there may be more exposure for the idea here, so I'll copy and paste:

This is so nerdy... I kinda like it. 

For the playoffs, would you only be able to use your remaining unused powers? I love the idea of needing a win to get into the playoffs and having to decide whether to use one of the better powers, or saving a tough playoff matchup. 

Edited by ajs723