Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

Recommended Posts

On 19/11/2018 at 12:22 AM, MMLSU said:

Hey guys, not sure if this is where this would go.

 

I am not the commish, but my redraft league has recently had issues with guys not setting their lineups once they feel like they have been eliminated which obviously leads to issues in what is fair and what is not fair/was there collusion when xxx played yyy and xxx had 4 guys on bye that week, etc.

The people in this league are knowledgeable and lifelong friends, so leaving is something I would really rather not do.

 

I reached out to the commissioner, and asked if he could lock the teams for people who stop setting lineups and set based on projections so there are no issues about him "picking the lineup himself." He says no because it was not discussed before the year so it would not be fair to implement it now. We had one guy now go from 3-4 to 6-4 and up to 3rd place in our league, but he has played teams with injury/bye guys each of the last 3 weeks (hence my frustration).

Any advice is appreciated and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread, just figured commissioners opinions could help here!

 

I'm the Commish of my league (redraft), and I have an informal agreement with my guys that I will check teams before kickoff and edit rosters for them if there is a clear oversight (Eg Bye player starting etc. I will switch in their highest projected bench choice. I don't make judgement calls). Also for any late 'Outs'.

 

We have a very international league with guys from everywhere and some working in remote areas, with games being played in the middle of the night etc. (they start at 2am my time currently) so there is a bit of latitude in this regard. I've very occasionally gone to the wire and grabbed a QB or D for them if needed)

 

I do it without discrimination, even for my opponent if need be.

 

If someone looks clearly like they have gone dark then I fire off emails etc. There hasn't been any complaints so far.

 

I also make clear at the start of the season that any sustained inattention probably means a booting next year. We are lucky that the league actually has a few people with friends who wouldn't mind joining it at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Spuds said:

Some of the player scores are wrong too. I’m showing Zuerlein with 0 points.

One of these days for yahoo. It will correct it by itself. Happens all the time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jay85 said:

One of these days for yahoo. It will correct it by itself. Happens all the time. 

 

 

Maybe the greatest MNF in the history of the universe caused a system meltdown.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does everyone think the best playoff format is for a 10 team league? We have 4 teams make the playoffs and each playoff matchup lasts for two weeks. Playoffs run from week 13 to week 16. I like this format because it avoids having to play during week 17 and because two weeks gives you a better idea of which team was overall better and prevents one player blowing up from changing the outcome too much. Does anyone have a better system that they prefer? I'm out of the playoff race in my league so I'm trying to look ahead to next year and thinking about rule changes while fantasy is still fresh in my brain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Land Of Real Beer said:

 

Maybe the greatest MNF in the history of the universe caused a system meltdown.

Seeing this as Commish in my Yahoo League. Do you have someone to message about it, or does Yahoo usually auto correct it ? Woke up after dropping my kids at school to a message from one of my managers all out of sorts this morning, lol. Great way to start the day ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, papaphunk said:

Seeing this as Commish in my Yahoo League. Do you have someone to message about it, or does Yahoo usually auto correct it ? Woke up after dropping my kids at school to a message from one of my managers all out of sorts this morning, lol. Great way to start the day ;) 

 

They'll autocorrect it... I’m sure they are getting hundreds of emails and calls right now.  As long as it’s system-wide (which it appears to be), and not league-specific, I wouldn’t worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, papaphunk said:

Seeing this as Commish in my Yahoo League. Do you have someone to message about it, or does Yahoo usually auto correct it ? Woke up after dropping my kids at school to a message from one of my managers all out of sorts this morning, lol. Great way to start the day ;) 

 

 I would wait until Yahoo does their thing. They've had glitches before and will again. They run a lot of leagues but will fix it soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will just revert back to their back up data before Monday nights game then apply stats for Mondays game. Then blame their stats provider.😉

 

All has to be done today or they run into more trouble with waivers and standings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, drisser said:

What does everyone think the best playoff format is for a 10 team league? We have 4 teams make the playoffs and each playoff matchup lasts for two weeks. Playoffs run from week 13 to week 16. I like this format because it avoids having to play during week 17 and because two weeks gives you a better idea of which team was overall better and prevents one player blowing up from changing the outcome too much. Does anyone have a better system that they prefer? I'm out of the playoff race in my league so I'm trying to look ahead to next year and thinking about rule changes while fantasy is still fresh in my brain.

 

If you really want the best team to win then just get rid of the playoffs and base it off season long stats.

Once you make it to the playoffs, it should be win or go home, just like in the real NFL.

Having a playoff that long just leaves out a bunch of people for an extra 2 weeks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

They will just revert back to their back up data before Monday nights game then apply stats for Mondays game. Then blame their stats provider.😉

 

All has to be done today or they run into more trouble with waivers and standings.

 

FWIW, now fixed in my league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spuds said:

Some of the player scores are wrong too. I’m showing Zuerlein with 0 points.

 

Woke up having won by 10 to suddenly losing by 3 and was wondering what the heck happened.  Saw it was this. I simply texted the commissioner a screenshot just in case but figured Yahoo will fix itself eventually.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

 

If you really want the best team to win then just get rid of the playoffs and base it off season long stats.

Once you make it to the playoffs, it should be win or go home, just like in the real NFL.

Having a playoff that long just leaves out a bunch of people for an extra 2 weeks.

How many teams do you think should make the playoffs, out of 10? 6 seems like too many, but 4 feels unfair as well because a lot of good teams will inevitably be left out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Land Of Real Beer said:

 

FWIW, now fixed in my league.

The stats are fixed in my league but, it still shows I lost when I actually won.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kilo said:

The stats are fixed in my league but, it still shows I lost when I actually won.

 

 

 

They may be doing individual players first, and then recalculating team totals (and win/loss)?

 

The We Are Working On It notice is still up.

Edited by The Land Of Real Beer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, drisser said:

How many teams do you think should make the playoffs, out of 10? 6 seems like too many, but 4 feels unfair as well because a lot of good teams will inevitably be left out.

 

We used to do 4 in our 10 team league, but we changed to 6.  It’s more fun to include more people in the playoffs.

 

To reward regular season performance, we have a sizable payout for most overall points scored, as well as weekly payouts for highest point total of the week.

 

Playoffs are Weeks 14-16, single elimination. Top 2 seeds get byes.

Edited by SkinsChargersFan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kilo said:

The stats are fixed in my league but, it still shows I lost when I actually won.

 

 

Me too - they must have to run the standings separately. Annoying... hope it's fixed soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, drisser said:

How many teams do you think should make the playoffs, out of 10? 6 seems like too many, but 4 feels unfair as well because a lot of good teams will inevitably be left out.

 

My personal preference is for at most 50% of teams to make the playoffs. If the majority of the teams make it it cheapens the regular season because it would then be harder to not make the playoffs then to actually make the playoffs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Evans Fumble Recovery: Of course Evans fumble recovery TD had to affect a league somewhere. Our long standing league (20+ years in existence) was developed pre-Internet and has just the basic scoring settings. Rush TD, Rec TD, Pass TD. Special teams scoring is scored by the Team Defense. Back in 2003, in the infamous Keenan McCardell game, (Bucs-Colts) the Bucs fumbled the ball, was recovered by the Colts, they re-fumbled and Keenan scooped it up and scored. Now this was pre-Internet and I ruled as commish it was a Defensive TD for the Bucs. It was universally agreed on in the league. The reasoning is that once the ball is turned over and the other team recovers, the "offense" then becomes the "defense" as they are trying to prevent the Colts from scoring at that point. The ruling was made to simplify things...as in you can't score it for both the Bucs Defense (which was technically right) and also for Keenan (one TD, 2 players scoring it).

 

Fast forward to yesterday. In ESPN, the miscellaneous setting includes Fumble Recovered for TD, Fumble Return for TD, and Interception Return for TD. As we agreed as a league way back when to the "rule" that once there is a change of possession only defensive points can be scored, all 3 scoring setting were left unchecked. But Evans TD yesterday was scored as a Fumble Recovery TD. So it was not scored and the game was decided by 1 point (of course). And there was no change of possession so the above argument doesn't technically apply. So what's the ruling here?? Both teams have good arguments but my interpretation is that we cannot change a scoring setting when season is underway and it has to be addressed in off-season. Should we put it to league wide vote?? Would love to hear some other opinions. Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Mike Evans Fumble Recovery: Of course Evans fumble recovery TD had to affect a league somewhere. Our long standing league (20+ years in existence) was developed pre-Internet and has just the basic scoring settings. Rush TD, Rec TD, Pass TD. Special teams scoring is scored by the Team Defense. Back in 2003, in the infamous Keenan McCardell game, (Bucs-Colts) the Bucs fumbled the ball, was recovered by the Colts, they re-fumbled and Keenan scooped it up and scored. Now this was pre-Internet and I ruled as commish it was a Defensive TD for the Bucs. It was universally agreed on in the league. The reasoning is that once the ball is turned over and the other team recovers, the "offense" then becomes the "defense" as they are trying to prevent the Colts from scoring at that point. The ruling was made to simplify things...as in you can't score it for both the Bucs Defense (which was technically right) and also for Keenan (one TD, 2 players scoring it).

 

Fast forward to yesterday. In ESPN, the miscellaneous setting includes Fumble Recovered for TD, Fumble Return for TD, and Interception Return for TD. As we agreed as a league way back when to the "rule" that once there is a change of possession only defensive points can be scored, all 3 scoring setting were left unchecked. But Evans TD yesterday was scored as a Fumble Recovery TD. So it was not scored and the game was decided by 1 point (of course). And there was no change of possession so the above argument doesn't technically apply. So what's the ruling here?? Both teams have good arguments but my interpretation is that we cannot change a scoring setting when season is underway and it has to be addressed in off-season. Should we put it to league wide vote?? Would love to hear some other opinions. Thanks!!!

 

As you stated, there was no change of possession so per your league rules the TD should be counted as a scoring play IMO.  I wouldn't put it to a vote as its mid season and there will be biased opinions with possible playoff implications.

 

So you didn't allow these as scoring categories in your league, is that correct?  It registered on both my ESPN leagues that he was credited with a Fumble Recovered for a TD and both owners received points for it.

Edited by Flynfiesta6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

 

As you stated, there was no change of possession so per your league rules the TD should be counted as a scoring play IMO.  I wouldn't put it to a vote as its mid season and there will be biased opinions with possible playoff implications.

 

So you didn't allow these as scoring categories in your league, is that correct?  It registered on both my ESPN leagues that he was credited with a Fumble Recovered for a TD and both owners received points for it.

 

Thanks for the input. Yes we didn't count FUMBLE RECOVERY TD'S to avoid controversy if there was a change of possession (so both the defense and the individual player wouldn't receive credit for the same TD). 

 

The only problem is that the scoring setting in ESPN, under miscellaneous scoring, the FUMBLE RECOVERY TD box is unchecked. Which means it wasn't in place at start of season. So to add the Evans score I would have to edit scoring settings or manually add the score as commish. Wouldn't feel comfortable changing scoring settings mid-season.

 

Guessing in your scoring setting that FUMBLE RECOVERY TD'S are counted and that scoring setting is checked off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, drisser said:

How many teams do you think should make the playoffs, out of 10? 6 seems like too many, but 4 feels unfair as well because a lot of good teams will inevitably be left out.

Definitely 4 for a 10 team league. Our 12 team league does a 14 game regular season with 4 playoff teams playing in weeks 15 & 16.  Nobody wants to see a crappy #6 seed barely make the playoffs & get lucky at the right time.   Weekly High Score payouts during the season & a consolation payout to the highest scoring team that missed the playoffs keeps everyone involved to the end 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, drisser said:

What does everyone think the best playoff format is for a 10 team league? We have 4 teams make the playoffs and each playoff matchup lasts for two weeks. Playoffs run from week 13 to week 16. I like this format because it avoids having to play during week 17 and because two weeks gives you a better idea of which team was overall better and prevents one player blowing up from changing the outcome too much. Does anyone have a better system that they prefer? I'm out of the playoff race in my league so I'm trying to look ahead to next year and thinking about rule changes while fantasy is still fresh in my brain.

 

I would prefer 6 with the top 2 getting a bye. Maybe just a two week playoff for the championship (but that would prob involve week 17 which you would want to try to avoid obviously) I'm a fan of going above 50% of the league making it than below, just so more people stay involved in the last 4 weeks or so of the regular season. Different strokes. With the complete randomness of fantasy, plenty of teams outside the top 4 will be top 4 in points and get kinda screwed. I understand both arguments though. I'm the commish of a 14 teamer and we do 8. The top 12 teams are still in the mix right now depending on how the next two weeks go.

Edited by kball09
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something for Commissioners to keep an eye on: Yahoo FF leagues have now fixed their stats and standings to include Monday night's numbers, but that overall player rating score and lifetime record still reflects the incorrect outcomes. I am not sure if it has any practical application (eligibility for certain leagues, for instance), but this is something to be aware of in case it doesn't update by itself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Mike Evans Fumble Recovery: Of course Evans fumble recovery TD had to affect a league somewhere. Our long standing league (20+ years in existence) was developed pre-Internet and has just the basic scoring settings. Rush TD, Rec TD, Pass TD. Special teams scoring is scored by the Team Defense. Back in 2003, in the infamous Keenan McCardell game, (Bucs-Colts) the Bucs fumbled the ball, was recovered by the Colts, they re-fumbled and Keenan scooped it up and scored. Now this was pre-Internet and I ruled as commish it was a Defensive TD for the Bucs. It was universally agreed on in the league. The reasoning is that once the ball is turned over and the other team recovers, the "offense" then becomes the "defense" as they are trying to prevent the Colts from scoring at that point. The ruling was made to simplify things...as in you can't score it for both the Bucs Defense (which was technically right) and also for Keenan (one TD, 2 players scoring it).

 

Fast forward to yesterday. In ESPN, the miscellaneous setting includes Fumble Recovered for TD, Fumble Return for TD, and Interception Return for TD. As we agreed as a league way back when to the "rule" that once there is a change of possession only defensive points can be scored, all 3 scoring setting were left unchecked. But Evans TD yesterday was scored as a Fumble Recovery TD. So it was not scored and the game was decided by 1 point (of course). And there was no change of possession so the above argument doesn't technically apply. So what's the ruling here?? Both teams have good arguments but my interpretation is that we cannot change a scoring setting when season is underway and it has to be addressed in off-season. Should we put it to league wide vote?? Would love to hear some other opinions. Thanks!!!

Not a defensive TD in my opinion.  The Bucs D was not on the field.  Evans should get six points for the fumble recovery in the end zone.  That's how our scoring system is set up.  And, yes, it did change the outcome in our league with that matchup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.