Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

On 11/20/2018 at 7:58 AM, drisser said:

What does everyone think the best playoff format is for a 10 team league? We have 4 teams make the playoffs and each playoff matchup lasts for two weeks. Playoffs run from week 13 to week 16. I like this format because it avoids having to play during week 17 and because two weeks gives you a better idea of which team was overall better and prevents one player blowing up from changing the outcome too much. Does anyone have a better system that they prefer? I'm out of the playoff race in my league so I'm trying to look ahead to next year and thinking about rule changes while fantasy is still fresh in my brain.

23 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

We used to do 4 in our 10 team league, but we changed to 6.  It’s more fun to include more people in the playoffs.

To reward regular season performance, we have a sizable payout for most overall points scored, as well as weekly payouts for highest point total of the week.

Playoffs are Weeks 14-16, single elimination. Top 2 seeds get byes.

This is exactly what we have done for a very long time in our 10 team. 

Highest season points (week 1 thru 16) gets all transaction money ($2 trades and .50 adds). 

We we had a scenario two years ago where a team that didn’t make the playoffs lost season high points by less than 10. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, billydough said:

This is exactly what we have done for a very long time in our 10 team. 

Highest season points (week 1 thru 16) gets all transaction money ($2 trades and .50 adds). 

We we had a scenario two years ago where a team that didn’t make the playoffs lost season high points by less than 10. 

In my 12-team league, three times in the past 12 years the highest scoring regular season team finished 7th and didn’t make the playoffs (one time it was me). That’s why we have the most regular season points payout (double our buy-in) and top weekly score payouts ($30).

It’s never happened in our 10-team league though.

• Like 1

does a commish on ESPN have the authority to put a player back on someones team? 8 man league. 

James White was dropped by a 1-10 team during their BYE week which made no freaking sense. He was picked up on waivers by a 2nd ranked team. those out of the playoffs see nothing wrong.

1 hour ago, yanki01 said:

does a commish on ESPN have the authority to put a player back on someones team? 8 man league. 

James White was dropped by a 1-10 team during their BYE week which made no freaking sense. He was picked up on waivers by a 2nd ranked team. those out of the playoffs see nothing wrong.

Yes, as long as its a created league and not one of the random ones that you sign up for.  Who did he pick up for James White? 

I held white through the bye but in an 8 team league and with his situation changing and his last game performance I can see an impulsive owner dropping him.  Wouldn't do it my self but the 2nd place team is going to throw a fit and it would be a slippery slope for the commish to put him back on the team. 

What are your waiver settings?  Did other teams have a shot to pick him up?

14 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Yes, as long as its a created league and not one of the random ones that you sign up for.  Who did he pick up for James White? 

I held white through the bye but in an 8 team league and with his situation changing and his last game performance I can see an impulsive owner dropping him.  Wouldn't do it my self but the 2nd place team is going to throw a fit and it would be a slippery slope for the commish to put him back on the team. 

What are your waiver settings?  Did other teams have a shot to pick him up?

he added Ricky Seals-Jones and dropped White. He has DJ, Chubb, Collins, Cook, McCoy as his other RB's and DJax as flex. I'd drop all but DJ before dropping White because of his BYE. the guy who dropped him had #1 waiver but didn't use it so he could have picked him back up. the second place team who had #2 waiver got him. hell even leave the spot open but you don't drop White.

Commish says it's staying as is because White wasn't a no drop player per ESPN. 

the previous week - another guy "forgot" to set his lineup and left 4 spots open. we noticed once the first games started but he never did anything about it.

this league is a bunch of HS friends that stayed friends all these years. 

Edited by yanki01

2 minutes ago, yanki01 said:

he added Ricky Seals-Jones and dropped White. He has DJ, Chubb, Collins, Cook, McCoy as his other RB's and DJax as flex. I'd drop all but DJ before dropping White because of his BYE. the guy who dropped him had #1 waiver but didn't use it so he could have picked him back up. the second place team who had #2 waiver got him. hell even leave the spot open but you don't drop White.

the previous week - another guy "forgot" to set his lineup and left 4 spots open. we noticed once the first games started but he never did anything about it.

I completely agree with you on the number of players I would have dropped before White but its his team so you have to let him run it.

I think the commish did the right thing, as much as it stings the rest of the league he shouldn't be put in a position where he has to scrutinize every transaction and determine whether its fair or not.

I would recommend finding a way to keep people interested till year end even if they are out of it especially if its a long standing league with HS friends. Or the commish may need to find some new blood... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yanki01 said:

At least he's still trying. Just let it go

• Like 2

I would drop James White, too.  Sony Michel is the man, and Burkhead will be back soon.

But I have no grid for an 8-man league.  Maybe do AFC only if you have that few teams.  That would make it interesting.

• Haha 1

I'm commish and founder of my 15 year league 12 man keeper league - auction.

All friends or friends of friends.

Every year....just happened yesterday there is a trade or two where someone fully sells out their team to get a keeper or two.

Most of the time , we are OK with it...controversy starts when its for a keeper that doesn't maximize huge value.

So as an example....Julio/M. Evans/Cam traded to a team for a $27 Thielan.

League when nuts...as we should...at the same time Connor ($18 for next year and keep able beyond) gets traded and nets M.Gordon/Gronk and Nuk...but that didn't spark a Veto as Connor can also be kept the following year @ $28 whereas in the other deal Thielan would escalate to $42.

Long story short....much outrage, in fighting ensues and really ruins the experience for many.

I made suggestions this off season which were shot down...suggesting a mid season auction coupled with players not being keep able beyond trade.  The way the auction would work, which is successful in my baseball league for same reasons, is you post a player who gets drafted by another team (with a max bid) and the person selling the player nets that money towards next years draft while person buying loses said money. So in essence , a free market approach to helping yourself during the current year  while a team out  of it improves their chances for next year in the same way by increasing their salary budget towards the draft....all this of course with set limits (i.e $30)

SO my question to all of you....have you dealt with these maddening keeper trades and what solutions can you suggest?

Thanks in advance fellow commishes

6 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

Every year....just happened yesterday there is a trade or two where someone fully sells out their team to get a keeper or two.

Most of the time , we are OK with it...controversy starts when its for a keeper that doesn't maximize huge value.

League when nuts...as we should...at the same time Connor ($18 for next year and keep able beyond) gets traded and nets M.Gordon/Gronk and Nuk...but that didn't spark a Veto as Connor can also be kept the following year @ $28 whereas in the other deal Thielan would escalate to $42.

Long story short....much outrage, in fighting ensues and really ruins the experience for many.

I made suggestions this off season which were shot down...suggesting a mid season auction coupled with players not being keep able beyond trade.  The way the auction would work, which is successful in my baseball league for same reasons, is you post a player who gets drafted by another team (with a max bid) and the person selling the player nets that money towards next years draft while person buying loses said money. So in essence , a free market approach to helping yourself during the current year  while a team out  of it improves their chances for next year in the same way by increasing their salary budget towards the draft....all this of course with set limits (i.e $30)

SO my question to all of you....have you dealt with these maddening keeper trades and what solutions can you suggest?

Set the trade deadline back earlier

51 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

So less people are tanking?

That's my thought but I'm sure there will be the team that starts 0-5 and decides to load up one team.

pick trades in keeper leagues are rough in general tho 

13 hours ago, yanki01 said:

You need a new commish and more established rules 

@TheJuggernautBTCH

You are in an auction keeper league. It sound as if you have many unique rules and settings. 

There's no one size fits all for your answer. As the leagues grow and evolve you will always see new ways to exploit the rules that 2 teams see beneficial for themselves. 

Obviously pushing forward the trade deadline does help prevent tanking. 

Over time you just need to grow and adapt with these exploitations IMO. 

I'm in a 9 year keeper and our constitution grows every year to handle more and more of the league outrage and malfeasance. 

Bottom line. If the guy getting thielen feels this is his best move for his long term longevity in the league you should let it ride IMO. 

It's crummy, I know. But I believe you should let it stand and figure out new rules in the offseason and get your league to vote and approve them next year on draft night. 

This is what I've done for me personally. Our "Constitution" is currently like 8 pages (started at 1) and seems to grow every year because of new "wrinkles" that happen each season. 

We've had a lot of great success and even won a yahoo league prize in the past. But I won't sit here and say it doesn't get ugly from time to time. 

Just learn from this, figure out a way to curb this in the future and grow. I can always DM you our league leagues rules, but it won't be completely applicable to what you're currently facing. 

LSS... Let it ride. Fix it in the offseason for future years to not happen again. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 1

Need advice, as I think this trade should be vetoed:

Auction keeper league, 200 salary cap.  Players can be kept for a max of 3 seasons, each season a player's salary moves up by 20% (rounding up to nearest integer).  12 teams, weekly FA pickups done by blind auction.  18 roster spots.  3 divisions, 4 playoff teams - division winners and 1 wild card.  Non-PPR, bonuses for 100+ and 200+ Re/Ru yards and 300+ and 450+ pass yards. League has been running since 2002.

Of course you see trades happen at deadline for playoff teams trading future assets to boost current teams. This trade just happened yesterday, salaries included:

Tyreek Hill - 3 (cannot be kept)

Zeke - 66 (can be kept but won't at 80)

Deshaun Watson - 4 (can be kept for one year at 5)

For

David Johnson - 72 (can be kept but won't at 87)

D'Onta Foreman - 7 (can be kept for 2 years at 9 and 11)

Sometimes lopsided appearing trades happen, such as Foreman for Hill - I would find that acceptable here. But as it is this seems outrageous/collusive and would like others' input.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by trilly

Lol. What a BS trade. 

Is it collusive though or just someone tanking and not giving AF about everyone else in the league. 

Foreman has no real keeper value though which is what is BS about this. 

The only way he even costs more than $9 to begin with if he wasn't kept is if Lamar Miller is cut and that dude just ran a 97 yard TD. 

This doesn't reek of collusion to me. But it reeks of someone bitter trying to F over the league. 

Honestly, could be collision too. Who knows. It's impossible to prove. You basically need to have them submit their messaging history to you and you find something that says "hey, wanna F over everyone in the league..." 

Add a new rule next year to give yourself an elastic clause to make rules and veto on the fly if it's super controversial. 

It sucks, I'd be furious, but I'd probably allow it and then kick the tanking loser out of the league next year. Friend or not. 

On 2018-11-22 at 6:53 AM, trilly said:

Auction keeper league, 200 salary cap.  Players can be kept for a max of 3 seasons, each season a player's salary moves up by 20% (rounding up to nearest integer).  12 teams, weekly FA pickups done by blind auction.  18 roster spots.  3 divisions, 4 playoff teams - division winners and 1 wild card.  Non-PPR, bonuses for 100+ and 200+ Re/Ru yards and 300+ and 450+ pass yards. League has been running since 2002.

Of course you see trades happen at deadline for playoff teams trading future assets to boost current teams. This trade just happened yesterday, salaries included:

For

Sometimes lopsided appearing trades happen, such as Foreman for Hill - I would find that acceptable here. But as it is this seems outrageous/collusive and would like others' input.

Lmao this a joke. Veto right away. That easily throws the balance off the league

On 11/21/2018 at 1:29 PM, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

I'm in a football auction keeper league as well. We haven't had the issues you've had, but back when I played fantasy baseball (also auction keeper format), those issues did arise. The solution was to create an in-season salary cap.

That helped to prevent outrageous trades like the ones you mentioned, as you couldn't make a deal that took you over the salary cap. The way we had it was that the in-season cap was higher than the draft budget, so that teams could still make reasonable trades throughout the season. For example, let's say the draft budget is $200 per team. Perhaps make the in-season salary cap at $230 or $250 (I'm just throwing out numbers as examples). From my personal experience, this worked great. 

On 11/22/2018 at 5:53 AM, trilly said:

For

make the guy keep DJ at 87

• Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:53 AM, trilly said:

For

I don't play auction so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...

Isn't it basically him swapping Watson, who has been underwhelming this year at a position that's incredibly deep, for a higher upside RB in Foreman who may or may not be the starter next year but showed flashes of RB1 talent before he got hurt?  If they cut Miller this offseason, Foreman would be a late 2nd - 3rd rounder next year and I would think a $9 & & $11 cost would be incredible value.

You didn't list the teams records/standings so I can only assume that the side sending DJ and foreman is in the hunt and the side sending TY+zeke+ DW isn't?  Clarity on that angle would help.

I think the challenge is that he included TY in the deal, but as you stated TY for Foreman wouldn't be an issue... so why is adding TY on top an issue?  IMO if TY for Foreman is acceptable then this has to be too.  

I’m in a league with friends too and I’m quitting after the season due to the commish making shady moves and trades. What’s sad is he’s one of my best buddies. 400$ league dues and 5$ for adds its to much not to care or make a big deal about. 

• Like 1

Seems like it's the same old story every year in my league and in other leagues as I read through posts.

In my league, 6 teams make playoffs.  4 teams already locked in.  #5 team at 7-5, #6 at 6-6, and #7 team at 6-6.

#6 team has a weaker team than #7 but somehow has 80 more points scored for the season than #7.

#7 team on paper is one of the strongest in the league.

#6 team plays #2 team this week.  #2 team is obviously trying to lose, benching his studs.  Implication is that he wants #6 team to get into the playoffs - not only because that team is weaker but because it's his best friend.  Even if #7 team wins, he'll be out of the playoffs since tiebreaker is overall points scored.

I know that people are going to say that teams can only rely on themselves, and it's #7 team's fault that he doesn't have more points scored.  But it's still pretty crappy when the playoffs get manipulated.  Sure, karma can occur.  #2 lets his buddy #6 into the playoffs and #6 could go on a ride and win it all.  While the presumably stronger #7 could have lost in week 14.  But you never know.  The fact that #7 will miss the playoffs is causing him to go off on the message boards.

#2 is tanking this week.  Just like the Rams/Chiefs/Saints might do for week 17 as well.  So I guess if it happens in the pros, it is ok to happen in fantasy?  Still doesn't seem right.  But I know there's nothing that can be done about it.

15 minutes ago, CooL said:

Seems like it's the same old story every year in my league and in other leagues as I read through posts.

In my league, 6 teams make playoffs.  4 teams already locked in.  #5 team at 7-5, #6 at 6-6, and #7 team at 6-6.

#6 team has a weaker team than #7 but somehow has 80 more points scored for the season than #7.

#7 team on paper is one of the strongest in the league.

#6 team plays #2 team this week.  #2 team is obviously trying to lose, benching his studs.  Implication is that he wants #6 team to get into the playoffs - not only because that team is weaker but because it's his best friend.  Even if #7 team wins, he'll be out of the playoffs since tiebreaker is overall points scored.

I know that people are going to say that teams can only rely on themselves, and it's #7 team's fault that he doesn't have more points scored.  But it's still pretty crappy when the playoffs get manipulated.  Sure, karma can occur.  #2 lets his buddy #6 into the playoffs and #6 could go on a ride and win it all.  While the presumably stronger #7 could have lost in week 14.  But you never know.  The fact that #7 will miss the playoffs is causing him to go off on the message boards.

#2 is tanking this week.  Just like the Rams/Chiefs/Saints might do for week 17 as well.  So I guess if it happens in the pros, it is ok to happen in fantasy?  Still doesn't seem right.  But I know there's nothing that can be done about it.

I think as long as he fields a full roster it's ok. Seems s---y but waaaay better than leaving open roster spots 

I'm going on my 5th year in a $100 buy in ppr 12 team friends and family league that I will be quitting after this year. The original commissioner was my cousin who ran everything really well. His 22 year old son took over this year and he just pulled a shady move. We used to have top 6 make playoffs top 2 teams with bye first week. This year it was left on ESPN default of top 4 teams with combined points weeks 14/15 and 16/17. No one caught it and it was let go. Last night he goes in and changes it to top 8 teams in playoffs. He would now make the playoffs with a potential losing record. Shouldn't this have been voted on? I questioned him on the message board and he's ignoring me. Btw I'm in the playoffs with the top seed so I feel like I'm really getting screwed.

12 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

I'm going on my 5th year in a $100 buy in ppr 12 team friends and family league that I will be quitting after this year. The original commissioner was my cousin who ran everything really well. His 22 year old son took over this year and he just pulled a shady move. We used to have top 6 make playoffs top 2 teams with bye first week. This year it was left on ESPN default of top 4 teams with combined points weeks 14/15 and 16/17. No one caught it and it was let go. Last night he goes in and changes it to top 8 teams in playoffs. He would now make the playoffs with a potential losing record. Shouldn't this have been voted on? I questioned him on the message board and he's ignoring me. Btw I'm in the playoffs with the top seed so I feel like I'm really getting screwed.

8 playoff teams in a 12 team league?   wtf