Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

7 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

I'm going on my 5th year in a $100 buy in ppr 12 team friends and family league that I will be quitting after this year. The original commissioner was my cousin who ran everything really well. His 22 year old son took over this year and he just pulled a shady move. We used to have top 6 make playoffs top 2 teams with bye first week. This year it was left on ESPN default of top 4 teams with combined points weeks 14/15 and 16/17. No one caught it and it was let go. Last night he goes in and changes it to top 8 teams in playoffs. He would now make the playoffs with a potential losing record. Shouldn't this have been voted on? I questioned him on the message board and he's ignoring me. Btw I'm in the playoffs with the top seed so I feel like I'm really getting screwed.

A commissioner unilaterally changing the amount of playoff teams, is about the worst thing a commish can do (or at least one of the worst). That is more than just shady...that is outright unethical bullish**. I could understand if he changed it back to 6 teams, with discussion amongst the league, since that is the usual standard. But INCREASING it to 8 teams as a clear way to benefit himself? That's beyond messed up. 

Does the commish control the money from the buy-ins? Also, is anyone else from the league rightfully complaining?

If I saw this clown at the next family gathering, I would make a point to let everyone in the league know that he cheated you and other family and friends out of money. Whether everyone plays fantasy or not (presumably not), they should know that there is someone in the family who is a cheating thief. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

I'm going on my 5th year in a $100 buy in ppr 12 team friends and family league that I will be quitting after this year. The original commissioner was my cousin who ran everything really well. His 22 year old son took over this year and he just pulled a shady move. We used to have top 6 make playoffs top 2 teams with bye first week. This year it was left on ESPN default of top 4 teams with combined points weeks 14/15 and 16/17. No one caught it and it was let go. Last night he goes in and changes it to top 8 teams in playoffs. He would now make the playoffs with a potential losing record. Shouldn't this have been voted on? I questioned him on the message board and he's ignoring me. Btw I'm in the playoffs with the top seed so I feel like I'm really getting screwed.

That is awful, especially considering it's a Friend and Family league.  All the owners should approach the commish and tell him this is unacceptable and put it back the way it was.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

I don't know how the rest of the league is not up in arms over this. Regardless if he changes it back or not, you guys should just kick him out and make someone else commish.

54 minutes ago, Corleone said:

A commissioner unilaterally changing the amount of playoff teams, is about the worst thing a commish can do (or at least one of the worst). That is more than just shady...that is outright unethical bullish**. I could understand if he changed it back to 6 teams, with discussion amongst the league, since that is the usual standard. But INCREASING it to 8 teams as a clear way to benefit himself? That's beyond messed up. 

Does the commish control the money from the buy-ins? Also, is anyone else from the league rightfully complaining?

If I saw this clown at the next family gathering, I would make a point to let everyone in the league know that he cheated you and other family and friends out of money. Whether everyone plays fantasy or not (presumably not), they should know that there is someone in the family who is a cheating thief. 

Yes he does control the money and already gets $200 for running the league. Only one person has mildly complained. I can't believe no one else has said anything. It's a pretty competitive league. I'm very close with the kid's mother which complicates things but you're dealing with $1,000 and it's completely unethical in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Changing the rules in the middle of a season is bush league. 

Rule changes happen at the winter meetings amongst GM's in the off-season. (Lots of deals happen for picks and players take place then too) 

In our 14 team league it takes 8 votes to pass a rule or change a setting etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

Yes he does control the money and already gets $200 for running the league. Only one person has mildly complained. I can't believe no one else has said anything. It's a pretty competitive league. I'm very close with the kid's mother which complicates things but you're dealing with $1,000 and it's completely unethical in my opinion. 

I'd be more upset that a commish takes 17pct off the top for running a league that runs itself. This isn't 1992 when commissioners had to do a ton of the work manually. 

As for this situation, yeah, it should be 6 teams making the playoffs if that was how the league has been run for years. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

Wow. The $200 for running the league is total bs as well. I'm a commish and I've never thought of taking money to be the commish. Honestly, with his behavior overall, I wouldn't be confident he'll even pay out the league winner (if it isn't him, since he's cheating his way into the playoffs with the playoff expansion). 

You mentioned from the first post that you'll be quitting after this year, and I agree that's the right move. It may be a competitive league, but the fact that only other one person has mildly complained, that's really disappointing that nobody else is calling the commish out. 

I'd tell the commish's mother that her son is a complete jerk, and then go get a cheesesteak while contemplating on a new league to join :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Wow. The $200 for running the league is total bs as well. I'm a commish and I've never thought of taking money to be the commish. Honestly, with his behavior overall, I wouldn't be confident he'll even pay out the league winner (if it isn't him, since he's cheating his way into the playoffs with the playoff expansion). 

You mentioned from the first post that you'll be quitting after this year, and I agree that's the right move. It may be a competitive league, but the fact that only other one person has mildly complained, that's really disappointing that nobody else is calling the commish out. 

I'd tell the commish's mother that her son is a complete jerk, and then go get a cheesesteak while contemplating on a new league to join 

I'm actually tempted to quit now and demand my money back I'm so angry but I don't know if that's the right thing to do either. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

Wait, he gets paid for just running the league?! Yeah, I'd be out after this season for sure. Not only did he flat out cheat, he got paid to do so. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

I see you player...

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

I'm actually tempted to quit now and demand my money back I'm so angry but I don't know if that's the right thing to do either. 

Seriously, you should. No rule changes of any kind should be made during the season especially something of that magnitude. Additionally, the commish running the league should be a hobby for them. It doesn't require much maintenance. Now if you guys want to pick up the commish's tab or buy him a beer during the draft party of after season party, that would be more than suitable. lol. No way in hell should he be paid.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

I'd wait til after the season if it's the team in your sig. Still have a good shot to win the pot, but my mind would be made up that I'm out after this season no matter how it plays out. 

• Like 2

Just now, eaglesfangirl said:

That's a tough call. On one hand, you are right; the commish is an unethical cheater. On the other hand, who knows if he will even give the money back? And then I guess on a third hand, you are in first place and have a chance to win it all. It's not fair that you should have to toss that away. 

If you do stay in the league, I would note down the exact scoring settings, to make sure he doesn't change anything after the fact. 

I would also consider going beyond the message board if possible, to reach out to others that you know in the league via phone/text/email (whatever you're comfortable with), to gauge how they feel about the situation. Perhaps as this just happened last night, others may not have fully noticed what has just gone down? If you can get more people to state how this is bush league, perhaps he'll do the right thing and reverse back? 

Sorry you have to deal with this. I'm obviously not part of the league, but I'm still annoyed hearing about such an unethical fantasy football situation...that's how much of a bs situation this is. 

• Like 1

What a scam league. Raise hell and peer pressure everyone else to do the same. Absolute joke he takes a cut in the first place. Good luck with everything

• Like 3

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

8 playoff teams in a 12 team league?   wtf

We did top 6 in a 10 teamer, but it was a total accident after dropping down from 12 teams. It will be fixed next season

so 100 buck profit no what happens with a chance to win a G and he pulls that BS

he must really be a greedy dumba$$

33 minutes ago, Corleone said:

I'd tell the commish's mother that her son is a complete jerk, and then go get a cheesesteak while contemplating on a new league to join :) 

yup that's unreal - I run a fairly complicated league, where we exchange FAAB used = real dollars .. (so if you spend 20 FAAB on that hot WW pick up you'll be getting a venmo charge) among a ton of other things (organize the events/research new platforms/rules/etc) and have never even thought about collecting a 'fee' ...... I would reach out to your cousin (he sounds logical) and have him convey down to his son, win the league, then quit. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

yup that's unreal - I run a fairly complicated league, where we exchange FAAB used = real dollars .. (so if you spend 20 FAAB on that hot WW pick up you'll be getting a venmo charge) among a ton of other things (organize the events/research new platforms/rules/etc) and have never even thought about collecting a 'fee' ...... I would reach out to your cousin (he sounds logical) and have him convey down to his son, win the league, then quit. 

Totally agree and good point about discussing directly with her cousin, esp. since the cousin was proven to be a commendable commish. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

I'd wait til after the season if it's the team in your sig. Still have a good shot to win the pot, but my mind would be made up that I'm out after this season no matter how it plays out. 

I'm only in two leagues and the other is one of those free espn leagues which are usually horrible but lucked out with everyone being active and competitive. Both teams have a lot of the same players so I was really enjoying this year. It's really disappointing that a family league turned so bush league. 

Very disappointing but maybe things can be salvaged.  Friends and family leagues are just for fun, so some amount of this kind of stuff comes with the territory.

See if you can get it fixed, if so probably all is well.  If not, you'll have to figure out how many shenanigans you will be able to put up with in exchange for the pleasure of staying in this league with your pals.

32 minutes ago, eaglesfangirl said:

Yeah I'm going to deal privately with my cousin on this. I'm glad I came here for input realizing I wasn't wrong in my reaction. 

If it doesn't get fixed, drive to his house when he's at work and steal $200 worth of booze, and then win the league and quit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I am still in shock that a commish gets paid $200 for running a league.  So he makes $100 after his $100 buy-in?  That's ridiculous.  Is he using that money to buy trophies?  Does he host the draft and uses it for the food and beer?  Is he spending hours each week writing up weekly summaries re matchups to make it fun and interesting?  I doubt it.  I wouldn't play in a league where the commish gets paid anything.

Aren't most leagues people play in "Friends and family"?  I don't think I'd play in a "pro" league where I didn't know who I was playing with and never saw faces.  Too many opportunities for collusion and scamming.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CooL said:

Aren't most leagues people play in "Friends and family"?  I don't think I'd play in a "pro" league where I didn't know who I was playing with and never saw faces.  Too many opportunities for collusion and scamming.

I think a lot of times 'F&F' is code for 'your 15 yr old nephew who doesn't know much about football is going to be playing, so be nice!' sort of leagues. Similar to 'Office Leagues', where you build the league with a number of people who are mildly interested in the sport and maybe equally just as interested in 'having fun'. 

I'm in a long-running competitive league where there have been three sets of brothers at various times, and everyone in the league was a friend of a friend at some point coming in--that's just how you find people to play if you're not going into a public league. So yeah, in my experience 'serious' leagues are still populated by people who are friends and family. But 'Friends and Family League' is code for 'not taking it so seriously (unless I win, and then it's a totally serious league)'.

• Like 1

Getting paid to be commissioner is ridiculous. 

Having a list of fine-able offenses isn't. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I don't play auction so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...

Isn't it basically him swapping Watson, who has been underwhelming this year at a position that's incredibly deep, for a higher upside RB in Foreman who may or may not be the starter next year but showed flashes of RB1 talent before he got hurt?  If they cut Miller this offseason, Foreman would be a late 2nd - 3rd rounder next year and I would think a $9 & & $11 cost would be incredible value.

You didn't list the teams records/standings so I can only assume that the side sending DJ and foreman is in the hunt and the side sending TY+zeke+ DW isn't?  Clarity on that angle would help.

I think the challenge is that he included TY in the deal, but as you stated TY for Foreman wouldn't be an issue... so why is adding TY on top an issue?  IMO if TY for Foreman is acceptable then this has to be too.  

When has foreman showed RB1??? Lol