Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

@CooL

Man. I don't like it, but I feel like it's a person's right when they lock up the playoffs. 

We had that discussion last year in this thread though and it got real heated on both sides so you probably won't get the answer you're looking for here. 

If anything, maybe bring it to a preseason vote next season with your league. Then that will be the rule moving forward. 

8 hours ago, eaglesfangirl said:

I'm going on my 5th year in a $100 buy in ppr 12 team friends and family league that I will be quitting after this year. The original commissioner was my cousin who ran everything really well. His 22 year old son took over this year and he just pulled a shady move. We used to have top 6 make playoffs top 2 teams with bye first week. This year it was left on ESPN default of top 4 teams with combined points weeks 14/15 and 16/17. No one caught it and it was let go. Last night he goes in and changes it to top 8 teams in playoffs. He would now make the playoffs with a potential losing record. Shouldn't this have been voted on? I questioned him on the message board and he's ignoring me. Btw I'm in the playoffs with the top seed so I feel like I'm really getting screwed.

You can't change something established all season as a commish on the fly like that. That's garbage and shouldn't stand. 

4 hours ago, CooL said:

I am still in shock that a commish gets paid $200 for running a league.  So he makes $100 after his $100 buy-in?  That's ridiculous.  Is he using that money to buy trophies?  Does he host the draft and uses it for the food and beer?  Is he spending hours each week writing up weekly summaries re matchups to make it fun and interesting?  I doubt it.  I wouldn't play in a league where the commish gets paid anything.

Aren't most leagues people play in "Friends and family"?  I don't think I'd play in a "pro" league where I didn't know who I was playing with and never saw faces.  Too many opportunities for collusion and scamming.

Yeah there has to be more than sending out invites and then letting ESPN or Yahoo do everything for you. Sounds like that commish is a prick. I wouldnt have any trouble calling out that family member at the thanksgiving/christmas table

22 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I don't play auction so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...

Isn't it basically him swapping Watson, who has been underwhelming this year at a position that's incredibly deep, for a higher upside RB in Foreman who may or may not be the starter next year but showed flashes of RB1 talent before he got hurt?  If they cut Miller this offseason, Foreman would be a late 2nd - 3rd rounder next year and I would think a $9 & & $11 cost would be incredible value.

You didn't list the teams records/standings so I can only assume that the side sending DJ and foreman is in the hunt and the side sending TY+zeke+ DW isn't?  Clarity on that angle would help.

I think the challenge is that he included TY in the deal, but as you stated TY for Foreman wouldn't be an issue... so why is adding TY on top an issue?  IMO if TY for Foreman is acceptable then this has to be too.  

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  Clearly the team shipping out DJ, Hill, and Watson is the one who is out of contention.  And to answer your question, I view the swap as Foreman for Hill, really.  Hill has no future value to the eliminated team, Foreman does.  The Zeke for DJ swap is gratuitous, and then tossing in Watson on top - at this point, it really makes no sense/is lopsided as hell.

The contending team who got Hill, Zeke and Watson separately traded for M Thomas & Tevin Coleman two weeks ago (both must be dropped at year end) for Sutton at 7 and Allen Robinson at 2 (Sutton can be kept 2 more years, Robinson 1 more).

Both of those teams turned down my offer of Corey Davis at 5 (can be kept for 1 more year) + McKinnon at 1 (can be kept for 2 more years).  While I think my offer was definitely superior, it's certainly up to each owner to make that call.  But for one team to have gotten a top 5 RB and 2 top 6 WRs via trade while basically giving up Sutton (at a bad price), Foreman (at a bad price), and Robinson (good price, questionable if he retains that much value) is pretty outlandish - nothing to this lopsided has happened in the 17 year history of our league, and deadline trades where future value is swapped for current stars happens almost every year.

Prior to this, I had more or less been running away with the league this year - I don't think there was collusion to not trade with me, but boy this outcome does not feel particularly fair.  After another contender also protested, the team quickly tossed in James White at 2 (can be kept for 1 more year).  While certainly much more fair, it still feels lopsided to me overall.  At this point I just want anyone but that person to win.

Edited by trilly

15 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

When has foreman showed RB1??? Lol

Well I said "flashes"... The play he tore his achilles on comes to mind. 

On 11/29/2018 at 8:50 AM, Corleone said:

I'm in a football auction keeper league as well. We haven't had the issues you've had, but back when I played fantasy baseball (also auction keeper format), those issues did arise. The solution was to create an in-season salary cap.

That helped to prevent outrageous trades like the ones you mentioned, as you couldn't make a deal that took you over the salary cap. The way we had it was that the in-season cap was higher than the draft budget, so that teams could still make reasonable trades throughout the season. For example, let's say the draft budget is $200 per team. Perhaps make the in-season salary cap at $230 or $250 (I'm just throwing out numbers as examples). From my personal experience, this worked great. 

We have a cap of $300 and lower cap of $150 but looks like we can move be those numbers to $275 ish and $175ish to further reduce likelihood of deals like this 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 7:42 AM, trilly said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  Clearly the team shipping out DJ, Hill, and Watson is the one who is out of contention.  And to answer your question, I view the swap as Foreman for Hill, really.  Hill has no future value to the eliminated team, Foreman does.  The Zeke for DJ swap is gratuitous, and then tossing in Watson on top - at this point, it really makes no sense/is lopsided as hell.

The contending team who got Hill, Zeke and Watson separately traded for M Thomas & Tevin Coleman two weeks ago (both must be dropped at year end) for Sutton at 7 and Allen Robinson at 2 (Sutton can be kept 2 more years, Robinson 1 more).

Both of those teams turned down my offer of Corey Davis at 5 (can be kept for 1 more year) + McKinnon at 1 (can be kept for 2 more years).  While I think my offer was definitely superior, it's certainly up to each owner to make that call.  But for one team to have gotten a top 5 RB and 2 top 6 WRs via trade while basically giving up Sutton (at a bad price), Foreman (at a bad price), and Robinson (good price, questionable if he retains that much value) is pretty outlandish - nothing to this lopsided has happened in the 17 year history of our league, and deadline trades where future value is swapped for current stars happens almost every year.

Prior to this, I had more or less been running away with the league this year - I don't think there was collusion to not trade with me, but boy this outcome does not feel particularly fair.  After another contender also protested, the team quickly tossed in James White at 2 (can be kept for 1 more year).  While certainly much more fair, it still feels lopsided to me overall.  At this point I just want anyone but that person to win.

Blockbuster deals to try to win it all this year are the lifeblood of keeper leagues.  This one seems to fit into that category.

It's why I HATE keeper leagues.

Wow I pick up Ware as soon as the vid comes out. Now some clown in my league is crying that he should be on waivers since it’s not “fair” that i picked him up first. 

Is is there any world in which someone in free agency should be placed back on waivers? Lol

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DemonFF said:

Wow I pick up Ware as soon as the vid comes out. Now some clown in my league is crying that he should be on waivers since it’s not “fair” that i picked him up first. 

Is is there any world in which someone in free agency should be placed back on waivers? Lol

The crybaby doesn't have a leg to stand on there. All free agents are fair game, so you're totally fine. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DemonFF said:

I honestly agree with him that it's not "fair". The entire point of waivers is that most critical news [injuries/etc] occurs during the games on Sunday/Monday, and they want teams to have a fair shot to pick up players, so the first day after MNF is claiming day and the claims process on Wednesday. The assumption being that demand for a specific player doesn't change much between Tuesday and Saturday.

The most "fair" thing to do would be make every day a waiver claiming day [perhaps unlocking on Sunday morning]. That way if midweek news breaks about a player having a critical injury or suspension, everyone has a fair shot at claiming a player who immediately had a MAJOR change to their outlook.

That said, you did nothing wrong and in no world should Ware be placed on waivers unless your league settings ALREADY had that. He's just whining.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DemonFF said:

Well, given that this is the first time in the absolute total history of the NFL that a player has very suddenly been replaced by another player late in the week, he has a point. I mean, never ever at any time has any player who we thought would play suddenly gone to not playing and been replaced by someone else. It's totally unprecedented. I'm not even sure it's legal, tbh. I think NFL rules might say that the Chiefs just have to go without a running back for the rest of the year. It's not fair to the other teams that they just get to start some other guy against their teams. 

At some point, you'd think that the fantasy community would have to come together to create rules for this just in case it happens again

Seriously guys. What should we do if--and this is a big if--it ever happens again that a backup suddenly becomes the starter mid-week? Is there any league out there that actually has rules for this?! Possible options: the biggest whiner gets the backup. Or the owner who's name is alphabetically closest to the backup's name gets the backup. Or the owner who lives closest to that NFL team's headquarters gets the backup. The owner with the lowest bad cholesterol? 

Oh, wait, hold on. No, that other owner is just a crybaby. I actually think that's it :) 

You're good, dude. Direct that guy to this thread and we'll set him straight.

• Like 1

Do any league hosting sites offer continuous waivers with the exception of Sunday? 

I think that is ultimately the best way for in season player pickup.  Waivers would run at the end of each day, so someone doesn't have to be glued to their phone for a "Ware" situation.  But leave Sunday morning free, so an owner can replace a unexpected player out due to injury.

19 hours ago, bwarbiany said:

I honestly agree with him that it's not "fair". The entire point of waivers is that most critical news [injuries/etc] occurs during the games on Sunday/Monday, and they want teams to have a fair shot to pick up players, so the first day after MNF is claiming day and the claims process on Wednesday. The assumption being that demand for a specific player doesn't change much between Tuesday and Saturday.

The most "fair" thing to do would be make every day a waiver claiming day [perhaps unlocking on Sunday morning]. That way if midweek news breaks about a player having a critical injury or suspension, everyone has a fair shot at claiming a player who immediately had a MAJOR change to their outlook.

That said, you did nothing wrong and in no world should Ware be placed on waivers unless your league settings ALREADY had that. He's just whining.

4 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Do any league hosting sites offer continuous waivers with the exception of Sunday? 

I think that is ultimately the best way for in season player pickup.  Waivers would run at the end of each day, so someone doesn't have to be glued to their phone for a "Ware" situation.  But leave Sunday morning free, so an owner can replace a unexpected player out due to injury.

What would you guys do about Thursday? Make that a waiver claiming day as well? If so, owners with players playing on TNF could get screwed. And then what about Saturdays? Late in the season there are Saturday games as well...during the most important weeks of the fantasy season (Weeks 15 & 16). 

3 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Eh. Everybody's glued to their phones all day every day anyway. Might as well spend 30 seconds every so often checking Roto :)

That said, Yahoo allows the commish to change the waiver date of individual players, including making them Free Agents. You could have your owners tell you who they want to add Thur/Sun, and you could change the waiver date for that player. Would add some work for you, but it can be done. 

On 12/2/2018 at 6:53 AM, Corleone said:

What would you guys do about Thursday? Make that a waiver claiming day as well? If so, owners with players playing on TNF could get screwed. And then what about Saturdays? Late in the season there are Saturday games as well...during the most important weeks of the fantasy season (Weeks 15 & 16). 

I threw out Sunday as the day at which it opened, but I think the actual best option would be that on game day for the teams involved, their players unlock. So the two teams that are playing on TNF (or Thanksgiving games, etc) unlock that day, and then the teams playing Sunday don't unlock until Sunday.

Still, I think it's a solution in search of a problem. I honestly don't think it's a big enough issue to even try to fix. For as rarely as things like this happen, the people who don't get the backup can be told "you snooze, you lose."

• Like 1

Does anyone have a decent schedule playoff setup for a ten team 2 division league?

Currently mine is set up to where you play everyone in your division twice and the other division once, which makes the playoffs start in week 14 with 6 teams making the playoffs. I really dislike the fact that 60% of the league makes the playoffs but I’m not sure of a better solution. The one thing I’m considering is keeping the schedule the same and in week 14 (or week 1) playing a sort of free for all week where the top 5 point scorers get a win and bottom 5 get a loss and then starting the playoffs in week 15 with the top 2 from each division.

The issue to me boils down to fairness, I want everyone in the division to play the same teams the same amount of times so one team doesn’t get an extra game against a crap team while another team gets a game against a top team if that makes any sense to you.

42 minutes ago, Ddam2013 said:

Does anyone have a decent schedule playoff setup for a ten team 2 division league?

Currently mine is set up to where you play everyone in your division twice and the other division once, which makes the playoffs start in week 14 with 6 teams making the playoffs. I really dislike the fact that 60% of the league makes the playoffs but I’m not sure of a better solution. The one thing I’m considering is keeping the schedule the same and in week 14 (or week 1) playing a sort of free for all week where the top 5 point scorers get a win and bottom 5 get a loss and then starting the playoffs in week 15 with the top 2 from each division.

The issue to me boils down to fairness, I want everyone in the division to play the same teams the same amount of times so one team doesn’t get an extra game against a crap team while another team gets a game against a top team if that makes any sense to you.

I'm anti-divisions so I would eliminate that as a first step.  I was only in 12 teamers this year and we have it set up to no divisions everyone plays everyone once, the first weeks matchups are drawn out of a hat and we then we have a rivalry week set up for week 13.  Its about as fair as I can make it with 13 weeks being an odd number.

For a 10 teamer, again I think you get rid of the divisions but it would be tougher to schedule "fairly" as some teams will play other teams 2x.  IMO its random every year s to who is good and who is bad so as long as you're mixing it up each year that should be fair.  I also prefer 4 teams make the playoffs in 10 team leagues, 60% is to much.  Last year, we ran our regular season through week 14 and had one week matchups for 15 and 16. 

On 11/29/2018 at 12:25 PM, eaglesfangirl said:

I'm going on my 5th year in a $100 buy in ppr 12 team friends and family league that I will be quitting after this year. The original commissioner was my cousin who ran everything really well. His 22 year old son took over this year and he just pulled a shady move. We used to have top 6 make playoffs top 2 teams with bye first week. This year it was left on ESPN default of top 4 teams with combined points weeks 14/15 and 16/17. No one caught it and it was let go. Last night he goes in and changes it to top 8 teams in playoffs. He would now make the playoffs with a potential losing record. Shouldn't this have been voted on? I questioned him on the message board and he's ignoring me. Btw I'm in the playoffs with the top seed so I feel like I'm really getting screwed.

This would be my last year in that league, and I would let every friend and family member know exactly why. Here's the issue that, to me, is bigger than increasing the playoffs to 8 midseason: the other 11 owners letting him get away with it empowers him. What is the next shady thing he's going to try to do to get over on the league or to benefit himself? Let him get away with this now, and you are emboldening him to try something shadier and more costly later on. I'd walk away VOCALLY without hesitation as soon as the season is over. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 8:44 AM, murraygd13 said:

I have my phone set up to let me know any pertinent information that could lead to needing to grab wire fire. 

It's just part of the gig to glory. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 2:25 PM, bwarbiany said:

Everyone has a shot during regular waiver period. Everyone knows injuries or suspensions can come at any time. Everyone has a smartphone and can receive breaking news from ESPN, CBS Sports, etc. That’s how I heard about Hunt. I got the push notification, then I went in the fantasy app and added Ware. You snooze, you lose. 

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ddam2013 said:

This is how we’ve been running it for decades....

Week 14- The winners of each division receive a BYE. 2nd and 3rd place in each division do battle to move on.

Week 15- #1 seed plays the team that survived within their division. (5 point home field advantage bonus to start for #1 seed) #2 seed exactly the same. Stays within his/her division with a bonus to start the matchup.

Week 16- Championship.

Week17- No fantasy should ever be played here unless it’s DFS.

11 minutes ago, bluntbros said:

Week 14- The winners of each division receive a BYE. 2nd and 3rd place in each division do battle to move on.

Week 15- #1 seed plays the team that survived within their division. (5 point home field advantage bonus to start for #1 seed) #2 seed exactly the same. Stays within his/her division with a bonus to start the matchup.

Week 16- Championship.

You're the first owner/league that I've heard uses bonuses!  I'm sure it has but there has to be some good stories of how that's determined a matchup/championship

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

This would be my last year in that league, and I would let every friend and family member know exactly why. Here's the issue that, to me, is bigger than increasing the playoffs to 8 midseason: the other 11 owners letting him get away with it empowers him. What is the next shady thing he's going to try to do to get over on the league or to benefit himself? Let him get away with this now, and you are emboldening him to try something shadier and more costly later on. I'd walk away VOCALLY without hesitation as soon as the season is over. 

Yes, I blasted him publicly on the message board. Privately his uncle (who is also in the league) and I confronted him. We both are quitting and starting our own league next year. We are the only two who complained since his friends enable his bs.  Btw, he got in the playoffs and I get to play him week 15 if I survive. I'm the 1 seed but lost both Gordon and Conner so I'm sure I'm going to get screwed.

1 hour ago, bluntbros said:

Week 16- Championship.

Agree with the week 17 thing. My issue is I don’t think 60% of the league should make the playoffs it’s just too many teams. For example I ended up at 5-8 but since I’m the 3 seed in my conference I  made the playoffs when I simply didn’t deserve to. Just wondering how I would go about an even/fair 10 man schedule that allowed 4 teams to make the playoffs instead of 6.

What are you guy's thoughts on this scenario?

A team that misses the playoffs then drops 4-5 bench players just to pick up 4-5 TEs on waivers, or 4-5 DSTs off waivers, lowering the options for teams who are still playing for something to use the waiver wire